Adversity Essay Topic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yuc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there's already a thread on this, but I'm asking for a friend who needs insights pretty urgently.

So he has written this essay on his parents' divorce, which is caused by one parents cheating on another. This is a sensitive topic, and would it be appropriate?

Given the word limit, it's hard to explain the situation completely. Would the mere mention of his somewhat "disgraced" family background affect his chances negatively? I want to say the committee won't intentionally look down on it, but given human nature and the positions (arrogance) of most of its members, would it be kind of dangerous to pursue this topic?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think so...I wrote about something similar for my apps when I apply to college and it was fine.

Yea, I hope so too. But I'm afriad that the college admission committees (graduates and some professors) might be a bit less uptight about these kind of things than med school adcoms (mainly MDs in academia)?