adversity prompt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roro420

Reaction score
So I had an Idea for my adversity secondary but couldn't decide if it was TMI or not. I would want to talk about how my parents disapproved of my relationship due to cultural differences and how I was able to navigate through that difficult situation to make everyone happy at the end of the day. It showed me how to reason with others and achieve a middle ground while being under a long period of stress which I feel made me a better, stronger person. I still can't decide if adcoms would not look positively about me oversharing though.

Members don't see this ad.

How did this issue have you display your coping skills?
I found that understanding everyone's point of view and reminding myself that the situation would pass allowed me to keep my cool during many intense moments. I also stuck by my needs while others tried to dismiss them as unimportant which I feel displays my grit.

Members don't see this ad :)
I found that understanding everyone's point of view and reminding myself that the situation would pass allowed me to keep my cool during many intense moments. I also stuck by my needs while others tried to dismiss them as unimportant which I feel displays my grit.
Sounds fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi there! Keep in mind that med schools desire applicants that can effectively manage stress, overcome challenges, and navigate their way through life's curveballs. So, successful applicants must prove they can endure the rigors of both medical school and a career as a physician. The secondary application adversity essay is a way for the admissions committee to evaluate your resilience as an applicant, so you shouldn’t be afraid that they might think you’re oversharing. Instead, you should write a very strong essay that gives them what they are looking for. When drafting an adversity essay, you want to begin by reflecting on your past experiences, which is something you have already done. You have successfully identified a topic that will help you showcase that resilience I’m talking about. You faced an obstacle in your life and took the necessary steps to overcome that challenge. When you write your essay, remember to answer these questions: What happened? What were the steps you took to overcome the challenge? What did you learn from the experience? Often, you won't have a lot of available words or characters to answer the question, so you need to make sure your answer is direct and to the point. Overall, highlighting the main takeaways and the skills you developed because of this experience is essential. You seem to have identified the qualities that you enhanced because of this experience, so make sure you show rather than just tell. Also, avoid framing yourself as the victim and, rather, show how your conflict resolution and problem-solving skills, and that grit you mention helped you overcome this difficult situation and mention how you can apply all this learning moving forward. Hope this helps! Best of luck.

Reactions: 1 users