Advice about an ethical dilemma - Supplemental Q

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted768895

Hey guys,

I was wondering if I could have some advice.... one of the supplemental questions for a dental school is 'describe an ethical dilemma you have faced during your education.'

I cant really think of anything that stands out to me right now, but i do have this story, and I was wondering whether this is good example ..

During my chemistry labs we were warned to clean the communal benches after using the balances to weigh our sample. My lab TA had stressed that we must sweep the mess with the brush provided because the head of chemistry department tends to walk around and occasionally come in to labs - and he strictly enforced this rule. Our Lab TA was under the employability of the head of chemistry, so she had to abide but what he said. If we didn't, we would have 20 points taken off our lab report. One time I was weighing my sample and i forgot to clean the area and unfortunately that was the same day the head of chemistry walked into our lab. After seeing the messy bench he got really angry and my TA told him she had warned us. Anyways since no one owned up to it, my lab TA got into trouble as she was technically in charge of us...so because I didn't own up, i put her job at risk just to save me losing 20 points. Anyways, after going home that day i realised what i had done was wrong, it wasn't fair for my TA to take the blame when it was my mistake. The following day I went to the head of chemistry department and explained to him and my Lab TA. Ultimately, i was happy to have 20 points taken off rather than feel guilty!...

So.. do you think this is a good example?

Members don't see this ad.

It's a decent example. It's definitely a different example than what I have faced in my education. Generally I never saw the department chair ever walking through labs inspecting for cleanliness. I had a couple of instances where my friends wanted information about a test that they were to make up or asked me to give the answers to a problem set because they didn't have time to work through assignment last minute.

Reactions: 1 user
It's a decent example. It's definitely a different example than what I have faced in my education. Generally I never saw the department chair ever walking through labs inspecting for cleanliness. I had a couple of instances where my friends wanted information about a test that they were to make up or asked me to give the answers to a problem set because they didn't have time to work through assignment last minute.
Yeah our head of chemistry was really strict, he'd often look through the windows of the lab to see if people had like proper PPE/ no cell phones out etc