Advice about ERAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Midfielder22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am a 4th year Canadian student studying in Australia. I am looking to do internal medicine in the US and I am hoping to get some advice about the timing of applications through ERAS. Is there any advantage to applying on the 1st of September or are my chances of getting an interview the same if I were to apply in mid - October?

If anybody has any advice in this regard it will be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

my advice is to get all of your materials now and then send them into ERAS as soon as possible. Applying in october is too late. I think the ERAS postoffice opens in september to you want all of your documents to them ahead of that time so that they can scan them into the system.

The match will be very competitive especially in IM, FM and Peds with lots of international grads seeking residency slots along with everyone else that did not get a match last year. Did you take USMLE steps 1 and 2 and CS yet? THese are critical as an IMG.

There is an entire ERAS subforum under general residency. Check there for answers from those who went through the process last year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply. Your advice is much appreciated. I have done Step I, Step II CK and CS are scheduled for this summer + fall. Sorry for doubling up on the topic.

Thanks again

Greetings. From my experience in applying through ERAS three consecutive years in a row, it does make a significant difference if your application is submitted as early as possible. Obviously it's difficult to have everything in by Sept. 1st, however, one can certainly send off the general ERAS CAF, certified and signed, and then send letters of rec and upload personal statements later. I would try and submit the app as soon as the window opens, that way residency programs will have you on file, and you'd be surprised at how many programs would send interview invites even without having all application materials. Feel free to PM me if you'd like to discuss this in more detail. Wish you all the best. Peace.