Other How to Explain Leaving Previous Residency Program on my Fellowship Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kazdan

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone
I had a question regarding my upcoming pulmonary/critical care fellowship application on ERAS, which is beginning to open soon.

Before I went through my current residency position (where I am currently a PGY-3 chief resident), I was briefly at a program for about 3 months before I began displaying behaviors related to my chemical dependency. I was showing up late for work and subsequently failed a drug test, and was fired from a program after 3 short months of being there.

Immediately following that, I entered drug and alcohol inpatient rehab for 54 days, enrolled in the Physicians Health Program (PHP) and PHMP, and am happy to say I'm close to 3 years sober now. Additionally, I'm in the above programs that can attest to my sobriety and continued participation in the program.

ANYWAY:
- On the ERAS application there is a section that lists "any current or prior ACGME positions at which you have trained" ... I would like to just completely not include the prior residency to make things simpler, but I think I need to be completely transparent.
1592937794617.png

- Additionally, there is a section that asks, "Was your medical training extended or interrupted?" ... Do I absolutely have to put yes to this? My training at my current residency has not been extended or interrupted
1592937856272.png

Would really appreciate people's thoughts
Thanks so much
Dan

Members don't see this ad.

Wouldn't you explain it the same way you explained it when you applied for the residency you are currently in?

Wouldn't you explain it the same way you explained it when you applied for the residency you are currently in?
I certainly could , but my strategy for applying to residency was slightly different at the time.

At that time, I needed to "get in front of the story" and just completely embrace how I had to leave due to chemical dependency and took time off for substance use disorder. I made that the theme of my application and my personal statement. I realize this was a risk and may have alienated some programs because they wouldn't want to take a chance on me

This time around, I still am embracing the fact that I overcame my addiction and am in recovery, but I also don't want to draw all this attention to it in fears that my application will get flagged, etc. Basically, I don't want this little bump in my career to stick out when I feel I have so much more to offer since then and my application accidentally get screened out because I answered yes to this question

That make sense?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you had to start your second residency program the following year after you were fired, then yes, you "have" to check the box. Your medical training was interrupted after you were fired from your first residency program. Meaning, if your first residency was July 2017 to September 2017, and your second residency started July 2018 (not September 2017), your training was interrupted.

Of course, you can leave it blank and hope no one from the fellowships looks into your first residency program, or none of your letter writers mention or imply or hint that there was anything before that residency. If you don't check yes at the time of the application, and the fellowship finds out, you could be fired for falsifying your application.