Advice about research year or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rochester2019

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I know somebody recently posted about this, but I'm in a little bit of a different boat, so wanted your opinion

I'm thinking about taking a research year to buff my application. I hope to be a academic urologist one day, and hope to go to one of the strong research programs

Here are my Stats:
Med school: In the 25-35 range (should be hard to figure out given my username lol)

Step 1: 259

Grades: FM: High Pass, IM High Pass, Surgery (urology was part of surgery): Honors. I havent taken anything else yet

LOR: Will probably be strong

Research: 3 papers (in surgery), and likely 2-3 abstracts (and maybe 1 paper) in urology

Now the research year would be in the labs of one of the top Prostate cancer researchers in the country. I took a year off between Undergrad and Medical school and worked for him then, mainly as a Data Technician. Now, he's offered to help me get at least 3 1st Author publications, and 1-=2 posters at conferences, one which will be the AUA.

Should I take a year off to strengthen my application. I get the sense that I would probably match at a mid tier program now, but would that extra research year help push me into the very strong program category?

Ideally, I'd like to end up in Boston, but my goat is mainly a strong research program (my gf is from there)

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi folks,

I know somebody recently posted about this, but I'm in a little bit of a different boat, so wanted your opinion

I'm thinking about taking a research year to buff my application. I hope to be a academic urologist one day, and hope to go to one of the strong research programs

Here are my Stats:
Med school: In the 25-35 range (should be hard to figure out given my username lol)

Step 1: 259

Grades: FM: High Pass, IM High Pass, Surgery (urology was part of surgery): Honors. I havent taken anything else yet

LOR: Will probably be strong

Research: 3 papers (in surgery), and likely 2-3 abstracts (and maybe 1 paper) in urology

Now the research year would be in the labs of one of the top Prostate cancer researchers in the country. I took a year off between Undergrad and Medical school and worked for him then, mainly as a Data Technician. Now, he's offered to help me get at least 3 1st Author publications, and 1-=2 posters at conferences, one which will be the AUA.

Should I take a year off to strengthen my application. I get the sense that I would probably match at a mid tier program now, but would that extra research year help push me into the very strong program category?

Ideally, I'd like to end up in Boston, but my goat is mainly a strong research program (my gf is from there)

Thanks

I think you should be in good shape to match at a good program. Your boards are high, good grades and research.

If your goal is to match in Boston, that should be probable with your current stats, especially if you go do 3 away rotations in Boston next year and do well. If your goal is to match only at a specific program (MGH?), it might be tough no matter what. If you really get 3 first author publications next year in good journals---a BIG if---it could be the difference maker. It also might not make a difference. When your goal is to match at 1 of a few specific slots, a lot of it is a crapshoot. Your stuff is strong, but there are some really incredible candidates out there that are going to be at the top of the list everywhere they go. I'm talking MD/PhD's with major publications in journals like Nature and Science, military or business leaders with unique experience, participants in groundbreaking urologic research (large randomized controlled trials, not the case series and retrospective studies you'll be able to pull off in a year), etc. I've interviewed candidates like this every year. So your chances at matching at a specific top-tier place will probably have more to do with those superstars' match lists than whether or not you took the research year. Does that make sense?

In my opinion, you should not take a research year now. You can be an academic urologist from any program in Boston, really any program in the country. You will just need to seek out the right mentors and opportunities at your program. A research year as a urology resident is a better option if you are going to do it at some point. You will have a lot more knowledge and know what questions you should be asking. Furthermore, you will be setting yourself up for the best fellowship, which is actually much more important than residency program in terms of landing that power academic job after training.

Reactions: 1 user
Agree with cpants.

I interviewed a lot of candidates over the past two years, and the one thing we hate seeing is someone who takes dedicated time to do research and gets nothing out of it! (not saying that's you). I'd rather take you with your current stats, then you after taking a year and getting minimal pubs out of it. Then, the question becomes, well, what was this guy doing that whole time?

Your stats are good, you'll match. You can do research anywhere...doing bench research may be a different scenario/question altogether