Advice and tips on my stats?

Started by Mlee318
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Mlee318

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Here are my stats:
School: Cal State Long Beach
Major: BS in Health Science
Overall GPA: 3.297

I did not take my first two years of college seriously which is why my GPA is as low as it is. (I have a ton of C's because I did not care about school and was immature.) However, the third year and after I improved it greatly. There is a very noticeable upward trend. My last two years in college, I got mostly A's and a few B's. I wish I had taken the first few years seriously but I was very immature. I also never even knew or considered physical therapy. I was just very lost and knew I wanted to work in the health field, hence the "health science" major.

So far, I have taken stats (got an A), Intro Psych (got an A), and Abnormal Psych (also got an A). I am currently taking Anatomy.
I still need to take most of the pre-reqs: Physio, Chem A, Chem B, Physics I & II, Biology. I am taking them at a community college.

I am currently starting a volunteer job at a hospital in their rehabilitation center in which I plan for 100 volunteer hours there at least.
Next semester, after the summer (because during the summer I will not have time because I plan to take Intro Chem) I plan to apply as a physical therapy aide and work as one part-time while finishing the pre-reqs up until I apply.

Also, should I plan to finish all my pre-reqs before I apply? Or is it okay to have matriculating courses at the time of the application (which will most likely be the two Bio classes depending on where I apply)

My overall goal is to become a PT that works with children with disabilities.

Any tips or advice on how to go about my path? Anything would help. Thanks.
 
Last edited:
Here are my stats:
School: Cal State Long Beach
Major: BS in Health Science
Overall GPA: 3.297

I did not take my first two years of college seriously which is why my GPA is as low as it is. (I have a ton of C's because I did not care about school and was immature.) However, the third year and after I improved it greatly. There is a very noticeable upward trend. My last two years in college, I got mostly A's and a few B's. I wish I had taken the first few years seriously but I was very immature. I also never even knew or considered physical therapy. I was just very lost and knew I wanted to work in the health field, hence the "health science" major.

So far, I have taken stats (got an A), Intro Psych (got an A), and Abnormal Psych (also got an A). I am currently taking Anatomy.
I still need to take most of the pre-reqs: Physio, Chem A, Chem B, Physics I & II, Biology. I am taking them at a community college.

I am currently starting a volunteer job at a hospital in their rehabilitation center in which I plan for 100 volunteer hours there at least.
Next semester, after the summer (because during the summer I will not have time because I plan to take Intro Chem) I plan to apply as a physical therapy aide and work as one part-time while finishing the pre-reqs up until I apply.

Also, should I plan to finish all my pre-reqs before I apply? Or is it okay to have matriculating courses at the time of the application (which will most likely be the two Bio classes depending on where I apply)

My overall goal is to become a PT that works with children with disabilities.

Any tips or advice on how to go about my path? Anything would help. Thanks.

Hello,

Most schools look at the big three which is cGPA, pGPA and GRE. There are schools that look at the last 45 to 60 credits for your GPA, others look at grade trend , while some do their own calculations and look at the highest grade earned in your pGPA. Doing a little bit of research would result in many schools that have these requirements but be-careful since some have minimum requirements for GRE. I would try to finish most of your pre-reqs before applying to not complicate the application process since the academic update is in December for PTCAS.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,

Most schools look at the big three which is cGPA, pGPA and GRE. There are schools that look at the last 45 to 60 credits for your GPA, others look at grade trend , while some do their own calculations and look at the highest grade earned in your pGPA. Doing a little bit of research would result in many schools that have these requirements but be-careful since some have minimum requirements for GRE. I would try to finish most of your pre-reqs before applying to not complicate the application process since the academic update is in December for PTCAS.

I agree with Repeatedbouteffect. I finished most of my pre-reqs when I applied to PT school with only 1 of them I was working on when I finished my applications. I think having most of the pre-reqs done will alleviate some of the stress when you apply.

I recently got accepted into a PT program with about the similar stats as you. I had 3.39 overall GPA, 3.23 pre-req GPA, and an average GRE score. As a student, one of the things I did regret was not taking my pre-reqs as seriously in the beginning. It is possible! Do a lot of research on various PT programs and understand your chances of applying and getting into a program. I applied to a ton of schools that were out of my GPA range and ended up being rejected by almost all of them. However, the school I did get accepted into, I was within their GPA range and it was my top choice school.

Just keep working hard and don't be too hard on yourself!
 
I agree with Repeatedbouteffect. I finished most of my pre-reqs when I applied to PT school with only 1 of them I was working on when I finished my applications. I think having most of the pre-reqs done will alleviate some of the stress when you apply.

I recently got accepted into a PT program with about the similar stats as you. I had 3.39 overall GPA, 3.23 pre-req GPA, and an average GRE score. As a student, one of the things I did regret was not taking my pre-reqs as seriously in the beginning. It is possible! Do a lot of research on various PT programs and understand your chances of applying and getting into a program. I applied to a ton of schools that were out of my GPA range and ended up being rejected by almost all of them. However, the school I did get accepted into, I was within their GPA range and it was my top choice school.

Just keep working hard and don't be too hard on yourself!

What was your school list like? What did you use to find those schools?
 
What was your school list like? What did you use to find those schools?

I applied to 10 schools all over the country with 2 in my home state. Of those 10, 8 were private and 2 were public. About 7 of those schools were out of my GPA range.

I did my school research on PTCAS's website where they list the pre-reqs, average accepted GRE scores, and average GPA of accepted students. The size of the incoming classes were also listed as well.

Hope this helps!
 
If your stats aren't great, I recommend finishing your pre reqs before applying. It's not required (check with schools to see what each allows as remaining)...but it will demonstrate your ability in the subjects to offset a low GPA.
 
Thank everyone for your responses.

I still have quite a ways to go in regards to applying to schools. I still have a lot of pre-reqs to knock out. And I do still plan to do the PT aid job not only because I want it to look good on my app, but I genuinely want to get hands-on experience in the field already.

Also, the pre-reqs I am taking do count towards my overall GPA, right? Even though I have already receieved a bachelor's degree. I guess what I am trying to ask is do any classes you take after you earn a bachelors degree count towards your overall GPA? (IF this is the case, I do hope it can help improve my GPA by a smudge.)

Thanks
 
I agree with Repeatedbouteffect. I finished most of my pre-reqs when I applied to PT school with only 1 of them I was working on when I finished my applications. I think having most of the pre-reqs done will alleviate some of the stress when you apply.

I recently got accepted into a PT program with about the similar stats as you. I had 3.39 overall GPA, 3.23 pre-req GPA, and an average GRE score. As a student, one of the things I did regret was not taking my pre-reqs as seriously in the beginning. It is possible! Do a lot of research on various PT programs and understand your chances of applying and getting into a program. I applied to a ton of schools that were out of my GPA range and ended up being rejected by almost all of them. However, the school I did get accepted into, I was within their GPA range and it was my top choice school.

Just keep working hard and don't be too hard on yourself!

Thanks!! May I ask what you got your degree in? And where you graduated from?
 
Thanks!! May I ask what you got your degree in? And where you graduated from?
Sure thing! I'll PM you as well.

University: University of Houston
Major: Kinesiology-Exercise Science
Overall GPA: 3.39
Pre-Req GPA: 3.23 (PTCAS)
GRE: 147 V, 152 Q, 4.0 AW (Highest attempt)

Extra-Curric: 700+ hours in community service (ranging from desk secretary in hospitals to wellness fairs to ALS Association to helping feed homeless individuals), PT/OT officer for Allied Health Professions Society, member of the UH Tennis Club, Metropolitan Volunteer Program Member of the Month, Allied Health Professions Society Member of the Year, Allied Health Professions Society Officer of the Year, Dean's List, President's List

Volunteer: 140 (Orthopedic Outpatient), 14 (Outpatient Sports Medicine), 41 (Inpatient Rehabilitation Department), 25 (Inpatient Floors)

Applied: AT Still University, Creighton University, Des Moines University, George Washington University, Midwestern University-Glendale, Sacred Heart University, Stony Brook University, Thomas Jefferson University, University of North Texas Health Science Center, University of the Incarnate Word

Interviews: University of the Incarnate Word (1/23)

Waitlists: University of the Incarnate Word (2/2)

Acceptances: University of the Incarnate Word (2/12)

Rejections: Des Moines University, Sacred Heart University, University of North Texas Health Science Center, Stony Brook University
 
Thank everyone for your responses.

I still have quite a ways to go in regards to applying to schools. I still have a lot of pre-reqs to knock out. And I do still plan to do the PT aid job not only because I want it to look good on my app, but I genuinely want to get hands-on experience in the field already.

Also, the pre-reqs I am taking do count towards my overall GPA, right? Even though I have already receieved a bachelor's degree. I guess what I am trying to ask is do any classes you take after you earn a bachelors degree count towards your overall GPA? (IF this is the case, I do hope it can help improve my GPA by a smudge.)

Thanks

Hello,

All classes that are considered pGPA will count towards your pGPA such as Bio 1, Bio 2, psychology, etc. Unfortunately it will not count towards your cGPA per PTCAS but like I stated before most schools look at the last 45 to 60 credits regardless of bachelors degree earned, yet you have to do your research. If you need help PM me or turtlot for more info.
 
Hello,

All classes that are considered pGPA will count towards your pGPA such as Bio 1, Bio 2, psychology, etc. Unfortunately it will not count towards your cGPA per PTCAS but like I stated before most schools look at the last 45 to 60 credits regardless of bachelors degree earned, yet you have to do your research. If you need help PM me or turtlot for more info.

Okay gotcha!! I appreciate the info so much. Because of you and turtlot, i definitely have more information. And I already found a few public schools (6+ hours away from home though) in my state that only count the last 60 credits because you mentioned this. THANKS FOR THE TIPS. For one of the schools, SFSU I noticed it did not require but recommended taking: kinesiology, exercise physiology, developmental psych, among a few others. So I definitely think I am going to look into adding a few of these courses to my class schedule. I really feel like I am on the right track for once.

Thanks for all the kindness and helpful tips.
 
All classes that are considered pGPA will count towards your pGPA such as Bio 1, Bio 2, psychology, etc. Unfortunately it will not count towards your cGPA per PTCAS but like I stated before most schools look at the last 45 to 60 credits regardless of bachelors degree earned, yet you have to do your research.

I don't believe this is true. According the PTCAS (http://www.ptcas.org/GPA/), the overall cumulative GPA includes all courses you've taken, whether during your undergraduate or not. So yes, courses you take now will help bump up your PTCAS cumulative GPA. 🙂
 
Thank everyone for your responses.

I still have quite a ways to go in regards to applying to schools. I still have a lot of pre-reqs to knock out. And I do still plan to do the PT aid job not only because I want it to look good on my app, but I genuinely want to get hands-on experience in the field already.

Also, the pre-reqs I am taking do count towards my overall GPA, right? Even though I have already receieved a bachelor's degree. I guess what I am trying to ask is do any classes you take after you earn a bachelors degree count towards your overall GPA? (IF this is the case, I do hope it can help improve my GPA by a smudge.)

Thanks

For most schools all classes you take count towards your cGPA. I graduated college with a 2.86 GPA and was able to bring it up above a 3.0 by getting all A's in my prereq's. One school I applied to did not count those classes towards my cGPA and that school was not on PTCAS. I'm currently a first year DPT student. Just make sure you do really well on all your prereq's so your pGPA is high.