Advice Appreciated...Target or Residency

Started by Valproic
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is why everyone needs to position themselves to protect their investment in education instead of taking a chance.

Very true, I'd hate to be laid off from target in 7 years and be SOL from then on with massive debt....residency appears to be the safe choice, but i cant guarantee a job post pgy1, whereas i have a job now and turning it down seems foolish.....what the eff do i do???

Do you think if I told them I was planning on pursuing residency and would like to stay on at target prn or weekends that they would pull the offer?
 
If you just want to be a retail pharmacist then don't do a residency.

Then again, I think your career choice is more of a risk than not doing a residency unless you want to open your own. I just don't see anything about chain retail pharmacy future that is appealing.
 
Very true, I'd hate to be laid off from target in 7 years and be SOL from then on with massive debt....residency appears to be the safe choice, but i cant guarantee a job post pgy1, whereas i have a job now and turning it down seems foolish.....what the eff do i do???

Do you think if I told them I was planning on pursuing residency and would like to stay on at target prn or weekends that they would pull the offer?

I think that if you told them anything besides an unconditional "yes" they would pull the offer. There are a bajillion new grads out there; I am sorry to say that you are easily replaced. Since you like retail and you don't want a job where you have to take your work home, I think you should take the job at Target. In this economy, it's a bad idea to turn down a sure thing in favor of a maybe.

Its Z said:
Well, I don't agree that the DOP vacancy number will increase since DOP position can be easily filled everywhere except for few difficult places to hire. But I think what you meant to say is that the DOP turnover happens often.
Yes, that is what I meant; sorry for not making it clearer. There was an article in AJHP a few months back that said ~80% of DOPs do not plan to stay in their jobs long-term, and as you mentioned, there's a reason why DOP turnover is so high. It's a thankless job and most of the people who do it don't get trained properly.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Isn't it a little late to be getting into the residency process (unless you already started)? In any case - I'd take the safe route. Sign the job offer, then see how the match goes. Just make sure you don't spend any bonus money (hah!) that you might get.
 
to me it sounds like you like retail, so take the offer

but ur mba will not be utilized in the near future in that setting
 
Isn't it a little late to be getting into the residency process (unless you already started)? In any case - I'd take the safe route. Sign the job offer, then see how the match goes. Just make sure you don't spend any bonus money (hah!) that you might get.

some places have feb 1 deadline

others not in match ive seen march 1 deadline
 
Very true, I'd hate to be laid off from target in 7 years and be SOL from then on with massive debt....residency appears to be the safe choice, but i cant guarantee a job post pgy1, whereas i have a job now and turning it down seems foolish.....what the eff do i do???

Do you think if I told them I was planning on pursuing residency and would like to stay on at target prn or weekends that they would pull the offer?
Being laid off in 7 years is nothing. Not being able to pay and then defaulting on your student loans with haunt you for a minimum of 7 years. :scared:

Have you ever considered being a business pharmacy professor? If I had a MBA, that's what I would do once my loans were under control. 😎
 
If you just want to be a retail pharmacist then don't do a residency.

Then again, I think your career choice is more of a risk than not doing a residency unless you want to open your own. I just don't see anything about chain retail pharmacy future that is appealing.

Retail is going more clinical than many people realize. Nothing about pharmacy whether it be chain, hospital or industry seems appealing given the circumstances of the job market and number of schools. Residency just gives you more experience in the eyes of the hospitals. You can sit for the bcps exam after 6 years regardless.
 
Very true, I'd hate to be laid off from target in 7 years and be SOL from then on with massive debt....residency appears to be the safe choice, but i cant guarantee a job post pgy1, whereas i have a job now and turning it down seems foolish.....what the eff do i do???

Do you think if I told them I was planning on pursuing residency and would like to stay on at target prn or weekends that they would pull the offer?

Or you could go work at Target, live as frugally as you can for a few years (if you have no children, that's quite easy to do) and get those loans paid down.
 
Awesome. You enjoy a fulfilling life long career as a chain retail pharmacist doing clinical stuff.

Retail is going more clinical than many people realize. Nothing about pharmacy whether it be chain, hospital or industry seems appealing given the circumstances of the job market and number of schools. Residency just gives you more experience in the eyes of the hospitals. You can sit for the bcps exam after 6 years regardless.
 
Lol...chit if you can't find a job as a pharmd MBA From a good school in TX and a top residency....I'm really worried for those poor students from a diploma mill with just a pharmd.

Very true, I'd hate to be laid off from target in 7 years and be SOL from then on with massive debt....residency appears to be the safe choice, but i cant guarantee a job post pgy1, whereas i have a job now and turning it down seems foolish.....what the eff do i do???

Do you think if I told them I was planning on pursuing residency and would like to stay on at target prn or weekends that they would pull the offer?
 
After a couple residency interviews and soul searching, I decided to take the Target job.

Thanks for all the help everyone!
 
After a couple residency interviews and soul searching, I decided to take the Target job.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

I think you made the right decision! Congrats! 👍

BTW, it might be a good idea for you to get in touch with the programs you interviewed and let them know you decided not to go through with the Match - this way they know they don't need to spend time discussing how to rank you.