1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Advice / chances of getting accepted?

Discussion in 'Pre-Optometry' started by r14, Oct 9, 2018.

1. r14

r14

Hi! I recently learned about this forum and would like some advice! I just recently submitted my OptomCAS a couple weeks ago and just took my OAT this past weekend. My unofficial scores are:
    OAT- AA-300
    TS:300
    QR:260
    RC:310
    BIO:290
    CHEM:310
    OCHEM:310
    PHYS:290
    Needless to say, I'm disappointed with my score and am feeling kinda low about it. I had studied for the OAT since the beginning of summer between work and school using a Kaplan prep book and Crack the OAT (the online test/ question version). I am debating on retaking the OAT, but I wouldn't be able to take it until January and don't know if that would be too late to be accepted.
    My overall GPA is a 3.5, but my overall science is lower. My Chem GPA is 2.6 (O. chem killed me ) and my bio GPA is 3.3. I am trying my best to make sure I keep my GPA the same or higher since this is my last year in undergrad. My major is actually Psychology and I am minoring in Chemistry and Biology. I am working part-time at two different eye clinics as a tech/scribe, obtained my COA (Certified Ophthalmic Tech) and am part of an organization for the COA that deals with continuing education for the technicians to gain experience and exposure.
    Any advice is appreciated! I am/ have been very stressed out about the application process and do you think I still have a chance of still getting in despite my "average" scores? The schools I applied to like the OAT to be closer to 320 or higher. Thank you in advance for your feedback!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. car guy doc

2+ Year Member

depends where you wanna go, a 3.5 and 300/300 are good enough for most schools.

eyelina likes this.
  4. r14

r14

Thanks for the response! The main places I am looking at are ICO, OSU, and Ferris. When talking to the schools all of them stated that they like OAT scores to be closer to 320 or higher.

5. eyesuphere

Pre-Optometry
    I think you should be fine. You’re still early enough the cycle and your optometry experience will help too. I have the same gpa and got a 310 on the OAT and I have an interview at ICO and got accepted to SCCO.

6. r14

r14

Thanks! That makes me feel better about my score and about hearing back from schools. Congratulations on getting accepted to SCCO and go luck with your ICO interview!

7. eyesuphere

Pre-Optometry
    Thank You and good luck to you too! Also, I don’t know if you shadowed any Optometrist at all but try doing that in different settings as well. That really boosted my application as well, since my scores weren’t the greatest.

r14 likes this.