Advice--Columbia vs. Bryn Mawr

Started by emm333
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

emm333

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've been accepted into Columbia's Post-bacc pre-med and Bryn Mawr's as well. I'm debating which schools to pursue. I have friends in and a working knowledge of New York City, but think Bryn Mawr's placement rate to be more appealing. The academic rigor seems to be better at Bryn Mawr as well. Obviously, I'm leaning Bryn Mawr, but would like some advice from anyone who went to either program or who knows someone in either program.

Any advice, from both side of the field, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
 
emm333 said:
I've been accepted into Columbia's Post-bacc pre-med and Bryn Mawr's as well. I'm debating which schools to pursue. I have friends in and a working knowledge of New York City, but think Bryn Mawr's placement rate to be more appealing. The academic rigor seems to be better at Bryn Mawr as well. Obviously, I'm leaning Bryn Mawr, but would like some advice from anyone who went to either program or who knows someone in either program.

Any advice, from both side of the field, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
i'll hopefully be in the same position in a matter of weeks. i live in new york, (also considering hunter). i really don't want to leave the city, but the prospect of bryn mawr's reputation, placement rate, and most of all the fact that it's a one-year program are very appealing. i'd love to hear some input.
 
mhondy said:
i'll hopefully be in the same position in a matter of weeks. i live in new york, (also considering hunter). i really don't want to leave the city, but the prospect of bryn mawr's reputation, placement rate, and most of all the fact that it's a one-year program are very appealing. i'd love to hear some input.

I'm on the Bryn Mawr side of the fence and will be attending in May. The one-year program is what did it for me. When you calculate the extra year of Columbia tuition and then the year of lost wages after we finish residency (which is what an extra year at Columbia would equate to), that's a hefty financial sum. Plus, after living in NYC for a summer, I have to admit I'm not a city guy.

So, yeah, I'd recommend Bryn Mawr. They get people into med school - from looking at their stats, about 1/3 of the students start med school 15 months after they start Bryn Mawr (ie, they make it into the consort school they chose). Most of the rest start a year later.
Let me know if either of you decide on Bryn Mawr. And Good luck!