advice concerning aways

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MSIII+questions

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I’m looking for some advice. I come from a smaller named medical school, and I want to be an ENT. I am currently ranked high in my class, 259 on step 1, I have a good shot at junior AOA, and I will be doing a short stint of research this summer. The advice I want concerns doing an away rotation at a larger school that can write me a good letter while also giving me a good feel for their program. My school doesn’t have an ENT department to even show me what a residency in this discipline would be like. The two schools I’m wanting advice on specifically are Harvard and Mount Sinai. Which would I get a better away experience at, which would I get more time in the OR, and most importantly which will write me a good letter. Any recommendations for other away rotations that give MSIVs a good experience would also be welcome. I appreciate any help that I can get.