Advice--Contacting Non-Matched Site to Maintain Relationship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrAlago

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

So, I was fortunate enough to match with my number 1 *kazoo noise*, which I ranked #1 because of the quality of the training. My number 2 site was amazing and is a place I would like to actually work in the future. I'd like to send an email to the DCT at my #2 to thank them for the interview and gush about how much I loved their program so that I can maintain a relationship with them for the future. My question(s) is(are): Should I? If so, what would you recommend I say or not say?

Love, peace, and chicken grease,
Some guy who likes kazoo noises

Members don't see this ad.

I would advise against contacting the site. If they liked you and had you at the top of their list, the immediate question will be "If you like us so much, why did you choose another site over ours?" You could end up sounding disingenuous. Second, I think the match is exhausting for everyone involved and the TDs are busy enough contacting their new interns, plus worrying about postdoc selection and/or prac student selection. Consider contacting the site later in the year (like, after summer) when you have a more specific reason for doing so...e.g., for more information about postdoc opportunities.

Reactions: 2 users
Congratulations!!

I would suggest not emailing the DCT at your runner-up site. People are busy, and this kind of contact may be viewed as a little odd. Wait to get back in touch toward the time you are applying for postdoc (assuming that's why you want to stay in contact). Save something for your postdoc cover letter. If you were that good, they'll remember you. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
No. people don't hold it against you that you didn't match to a certain site (or shouldn't, and if they do then is that where you want to be?). People have lives and considerations outside of purely training-based. If they liked what they saw before, they'll continue to like it. If you continue on your trajectory, then that will remain of interest to them. I can't imagine if all the DCTs in the country had to answer, or even just read, emails from people who liked sites that didn't match there.

Really good, helpful points. Thank you all; I'll hold off for now!