Advice DO students/applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

al53211

Reaction score
Previously posted in MD forums, probably not the best place, but idk how to delete it
This is more my application wheelhouse
I'll keep it simple...
IL resident White M 3.58 cPG 3.2 sGPA 506 MCAT.
Thousands and thousands of hours as a medical scribe, both emergency medicine and primary, preventative, care. hundreds of hours in medical volunteer. Both science and medical research internships, leadership experience (student government and AMSA)
this is my second application cycle and have no interview invites thus far. Applied to 6 MD and 25 DO schools (~30 DO last year, no luck w/ one interview ***HAD 496 MCAT at the time). Applied very first day for secondaries with every school received (prewrote most of them).

Trying to think proactively, any suggestions?

This is what I am devoted to. My application is not perfect, I know that and beat myself up about my app everyday, while natural brainiacs live perfect lives and get a 515+ on the MCAT. This is Cringe to say, but for the past few years, its been this, my clinical work, and going to the gym that’s it!! I am not some antisocial dude, don't get me wrong. But I have given up everything over the past couple of years and still can't be successful! Growing up they told us you could be anything you want in life. It seems like its like that for everyone else, except for me. Its not that I am dying to go to medical School, but rather, I know I am READY to be successful and I just can't seem to get a chance. I have worked with dozens of physicians, and it sucks going into work and trying to be passionate about the medicine when a background annoyance reminds you that "Hey, you can't even get there, so why learn about it?".

GPA is what it is, Im two years post grad and would prefer not to spend thousands of dollars and a few years to hope for a chance to med school with an SMP. I can only do so well on the MCAT with my reading speed (Dyslexia is not fun).

Completely open to practicing medicine anywhere in the world (where they speak English), UK, Ireland, etc. As long is I can live a stable life and make a difference in the peoples lives around me. Thats all I want guys, I don't care how much I make or the kinds of things I have. Someone please give advice

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Previously posted in MD forums, probably not the best place, but idk how to delete it
This is more my application wheelhouse
I'll keep it simple...
IL resident White M 3.58 cPG 3.2 sGPA 506 MCAT.
Thousands and thousands of hours as a medical scribe, both emergency medicine and primary, preventative, care. hundreds of hours in medical volunteer. Both science and medical research internships, leadership experience (student government and AMSA)
this is my second application cycle and have no interview invites thus far. Applied to 6 MD and 25 DO schools (~30 DO last year, no luck w/ one interview ***HAD 496 MCAT at the time). Applied very first day for secondaries with every school received (prewrote most of them).

Trying to think proactively, any suggestions?

This is what I am devoted to. My application is not perfect, I know that and beat myself up about my app everyday, while natural brainiacs live perfect lives and get a 515+ on the MCAT. This is Cringe to say, but for the past few years, its been this, my clinical work, and going to the gym that’s it!! I am not some antisocial dude, don't get me wrong. But I have given up everything over the past couple of years and still can't be successful! Growing up they told us you could be anything you want in life. It seems like its like that for everyone else, except for me. Its not that I am dying to go to medical School, but rather, I know I am READY to be successful and I just can't seem to get a chance. I have worked with dozens of physicians, and it sucks going into work and trying to be passionate about the medicine when a background annoyance reminds you that "Hey, you can't even get there, so why learn about it?".

GPA is what it is, Im two years post grad and would prefer not to spend thousands of dollars and a few years to hope for a chance to med school with an SMP. I can only do so well on the MCAT with my reading speed (Dyslexia is not fun).

Completely open to practicing medicine anywhere in the world (where they speak English), UK, Ireland, etc. As long is I can live a stable life and make a difference in the peoples lives around me. Thats all I want guys, I don't care how much I make or the kinds of things I have. Someone please give advice
I think you need an honest look at why you are not getting interviews. Your app is not competitive or you would be interviewing. You need hours working with people essentially less fortunate than yourself. Research? Are you sure with a learning disability you can succeed in med school? These are all concerns for med schools. Plenty of applicants aren't dyslexic. So, improve your app, and consider re taking the mcat when you are totally ready. You are pretty much ok for DO schools, but should develop a comittment to osteopathic medicine, shadowing DOs, LORs from DO'S , etc.Good luck and best wishes!

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Some unsolicited feedback: this post is vague and a little hard to follow. you may get more advice if you can condense to bullet points with specific amounts of hours and clearly defined activities. On another note I have an uncle who is a great internist and has dyslexia. I have my own invisible disability. Things might be harder in some ways but we’re still capable of becoming excellent physicians.

I think this would be a great post for you to read.

I agree with the above that if you are not getting interviews to MD and especially DO schools, then there is something else going on with your application. Take a read of the advice from the post I have pinned.

Reactions: 1 user