Advice? Feeling discouraged about research experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gallons

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've sent out a dozen or so interest emails concerning volunteering research positions to various parts of my local teaching hospital. Not heard back from any of them. I am non trad and do not have any previous research experience. Also, I would be lying if I said I had a particular strong interest in a topic. Right now as a pre-med, I find it all fascinating. So far I have been honest in stating my goals. To gain research experience. Most other parts of this journey I feel am managing well, but getting research experience is proving to be difficult.

Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't bother with it. As a non trad, you bring other things to the table. You don't have to go to the research powerhouses, either.

I will be happy getting into any school. But thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you don't have a strong interest in research, then take the advice above and keep it moving. Otherwise, if you have completed some of your prerequisites already, you might consider looking into some of the summer research programs targeting premeds. There are a number of different "flavors" but if you find something compelling it might be worth applying.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
If you're going to take that advice, be sure you know which schools you want/don't want to attend. For example, Gtown has a 100 hour minimum. Utah wants you to be above average in 5/7 things, one of which is research. Visit each school's website to be sure you aren't missing a piece of the puzzle later.

Reactions: 1 user