This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blueberry4104

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So you have no nonclinical volunteering? You really need about 150 hours of service to those less fortunate in your community. You should be able to show your altruistic side. Talking about always wanting to do something isn’t going to help you!

Your GPAs are lowish for MD but fine for DO. I know you aren’t interested in DO but you might have to make a hard decision at some point. But your professors are right , The higher your GPA the better but as you said it will be hard to move your GPAs at this point. If you can get some nonclinical volunteering before June you could try and apply to your state med schools. You could also apply to several low tier private medical schools and see what happens. Keep up with your activities in case you have to reapply.

I suggest these schools with your stats:
UC Irvine
UC Davis
Kaiser
California University
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
George Washington
Georgetown
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
NOVA MD
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
St.Louis
Creighton
Tulane
Also apply to at least 6 DO schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So you have no nonclinical volunteering? You really need about 150 hours of service to those less fortunate in your community. You should be able to show your altruistic side. Talking about always wanting to do something isn’t going to help you!

Your GPAs are lowish for MD but fine for DO. I know you aren’t interested in DO but you might have to make a hard decision at some point. But your professors are right , The higher your GPA the better but as you said it will be hard to move your GPAs at this point. If you can get some nonclinical volunteering before June you could try and apply to your state med schools. You could also apply to several low tier private medical schools and see what happens. Keep up with your activities in case you have to reapply.

Last edited:
Look at @Faha ‘s list. There are several schools you might want to consider. Unless you get significant nonclinical volunteering you might not want to consider the Jesuit schools listed. They are huge on service! As I said before you should look at private schools.

I had a 3.55/515 and here is my list of OOS schools I recommend looking into:
Stryker- Western Michigan University
Creighton University
Quinnipiac University
Medical College of Wisconsin- Milwaukee
University of Kansas
Emory University
Geisel Dartmouth
Virginia Commonwealth
Tufts University
University of Toledo
Drexel University
Georgetown
George Washington University
Rosalind Franklin University
Albany Medical College
Temple University
University of Rochester
Virginia Tech
Eastern Virginia
University of Vermont
Wake Forest

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Look at @Faha ‘s list. There are several schools you might want to consider. Unless you get significant nonclinical volunteering you might not want to consider the Jesuit schools listed. They are huge on service! As I said before you should look at private schools.

Last edited:
The fact that you attended UC Irvine will help you more than anything else you can do in the next few months. All medical schools give at least some preference to those applicants who attended the undergraduate school.