Advice for a Cardiac Nurse wanting to go to Med School??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Emelio

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm 28, just turned so in September. I work as nurse in a medical-cardiology- telemetry unit: reading ekgs, giving cardiac meds, pushing high risk medications. I graduated from an accelerated Bachelors nursing program at UCONN December 2015. It was a one year accelerated clinical and classroom intensive program, as well taking three masters level nursing theory, Statistics, and Research Methods.

Since graduating I've considered pursuing nurse practitioner advanced degree, but as of late, I've returned to my original desire of going to medical school.

Working as a nurse I have an inside view of what doctors do. It is far from glamorous, the paper work, people coming at you from all directions, and yet I find myself drawn like a moth. As nurse I can bug the doctor and advocate for my patient until I'm blue in the face.

As a doctor I would have a more influential role and I would be able to engage in systemic changes, get the ball rolling and ramp up patient care, things I can't often do as a nurse, no matter how much I advocate for my patients. Also a doctor I want to work on a global scale. Having volunteered in Brasil, columbia, and Ecuador, it would be amazing to use these skills abroad.

Another reason I've returned to my desire to pursue medical school is because, at 20- 25. I was really not disciplined. I knew I should go to college, but I was not disciplined. I was focused on the end product and not the process. After graduating from college and then completing a vigorous 1 year nursing degree, the program taught me to appreciate the process, appreciate the people you meet, the ideas that you develop and find, appreciate and learn from the people around you.

The rigor of the program also taught me how I best study. How to process swaths of information in a short time. The program really disciplined me in a way I never expected.

Having seen different specialties as a nurse I'd love to be an OB/GYN. (it's a high risk field I know but still drawn to it.)

Med School is long and vigorous but I think with the right people and support it is doable. I don't plan on starting a family. ( not even dating or planning on it) I'm thinking of retaking my organic chem I and II at a local 4 year-college and then sitting for the MCAT. I plan to retake Organic chem next fall- 2018

Background 28years old

UCONN accelerated BSN: 2015: GPA 3.63

Sage College: BS in Biology/ Premed 3.2 science GPA: 3.2
Organic Chem lecture I + II C and D
Organic Chem Labs: B+ and A
( I took this in my last year, I was taking too many course wanting to graduate on time)
upper level undergrad courses
Cell biology: A Molecular Genetics: B+ Immunology: A
Cell Molecular biology: B-

University of Washington 2013 ( Seattle): Post Bacc fellowship in Molecular genetics
Genetics lab: studying the role of mitochondrial DNA in aging using Drosopholia
Published ( included as an author) in PLOS genetics:
-Oxidative Stress Is Not a Major Contributor to Somatic Mitochondrial DNA Mutations

ECs; mentor for at risk youth boys in achievement program, volunteer work abroad in South America, teaching poor market children, hands only CPR community organizer.

and advice or suggestions are welcome.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I also started the medical school journey at 28. It's not that late Several of my friends in medical school who were nonTrads were also nurses. Having the hospital experience will help so much in medical school.

The only caveat is that medical school is a long, long journey. Compared to NP or even PA, it's massively longer. This is important for those who are thinking of settling down and having a family. It's not impossible to start a family in medical school, but speaking from experience (I was breastfeeding during my first year of med school), it doesn't make it any easier!!!

You seem like a good candidate for a DO school, so I would say apply and see what happens.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I also started the medical school journey at 28. It's not that late Several of my friends in medical school who were nonTrads were also nurses. Having the hospital experience will help so much in medical school.

The only caveat is that medical school is a long, long journey. Compared to NP or even PA, it's massively longer. This is important for those who are thinking of settling down and having a family. It's not impossible to start a family in medical school, but speaking from experience (I was breastfeeding during my first year of med school), it doesn't make it any easier!!!

You seem like a good candidate for a DO school, so I would say apply and see what happens.

Good luck!

Thanks so much! I don't mind being older in Med School, and I won't be starting a family anytime soon. (I'd need to adopt or do a surrogacy lol if you catch my drift.)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
One last thing, most people don't use their real names or photos on here to protect their anonymity. Just a friendly suggestion

Are you a URM? If so, give MD school a shot pretty heavily, if not, you're a shoe in for DO school. I started school at 29, zero regrets.

Hi,

I'm 28, just turned so in September. I work as nurse in a medical-cardiology- telemetry unit: reading ekgs, giving cardiac meds, pushing high risk medications. I graduated from an accelerated Bachelors nursing program at UCONN December 2015. It was a one year accelerated clinical and classroom intensive program, as well taking three masters level nursing theory, Statistics, and Research Methods.

Since graduating I've considered pursuing nurse practitioner advanced degree, but as of late, I've returned to my original desire of going to medical school.

Working as a nurse I have an inside view of what doctors do. It is far from glamorous, the paper work, people coming at you from all directions, and yet I find myself drawn like a moth. As nurse I can bug the doctor and advocate for my patient until I'm blue in the face.

As a doctor I would have a more influential role and I would be able to engage in systemic changes, get the ball rolling and ramp up patient care, things I can't often do as a nurse, no matter how much I advocate for my patients. Also a doctor I want to work on a global scale. Having volunteered in Brasil, columbia, and Ecuador, it would be amazing to use these skills abroad.

Another reason I've returned to my desire to pursue medical school is because, at 20- 25. I was really not disciplined. I knew I should go to college, but I was not disciplined. I was focused on the end product and not the process. After graduating from college and then completing a vigorous 1 year nursing degree, the program taught me to appreciate the process, appreciate the people you meet, the ideas that you develop and find, appreciate and learn from the people around you.

The rigor of the program also taught me how I best study. How to process swaths of information in a short time. The program really disciplined me in a way I never expected.

Having seen different specialties as a nurse I'd love to be an OB/GYN. (it's a high risk field I know but still drawn to it.)

Med School is long and vigorous but I think with the right people and support it is doable. I don't plan on starting a family. ( not even dating or planning on it) I'm thinking of retaking my organic chem I and II at a local 4 year-college and then sitting for the MCAT. I plan to retake Organic chem next fall- 2018

Background 28years old

UCONN accelerated BSN: 2015: GPA 3.63

Sage College: BS in Biology/ Premed 3.2 science GPA: 3.2
Organic Chem lecture I + II C and D
Organic Chem Labs: B+ and A
( I took this in my last year, I was taking too many course wanting to graduate on time)
upper level undergrad courses
Cell biology: A Molecular Genetics: B+ Immunology: A
Cell Molecular biology: B-

University of Washington 2013 ( Seattle): Post Bacc fellowship in Molecular genetics
Genetics lab: studying the role of mitochondrial DNA in aging using Drosopholia
Published ( included as an author) in PLOS genetics:
-Oxidative Stress Is Not a Major Contributor to Somatic Mitochondrial DNA Mutations

ECs; mentor for at risk youth boys in achievement program, volunteer work abroad in South America, teaching poor market children, hands only CPR community organizer.

and advice or suggestions are welcome.
I am a cardiac ICU BSN RN starting to study for MCAT while finishing up prereqs. Don't let any one tells you it is impossible. Good luck!

Are you a URM? If so, give MD school a shot pretty heavily, if not, you're a shoe in for DO school. I started school at 29, zero regrets.

I 'm pretty much an URM and at at this point Ill take DO or MD.

Hi, @Emelio. I wonder if retaking the OChems would even be worth it for you since your GPA is already decent and OChem II is no longer necessary for the MCAT. It has also been scrapped as a requirement for many medical schools. Biochemistry might be a more appropriate use of your time. Beyond that, just prep well for the MCAT, ace it, and apply. Good luck, welcome to the madness, and come join us at the RN-to-MD support thread!

I think your story is convincing, and just from your writing, it sounds like you're mature enough to have thought this through and really nailed down the reasons for this transition. if that translates through your personal statement, I think that'll go far in supporting your application.

I'd still go for the retake in organic chemistry because C- and below is not considered passing. while some schools are moving towards a more flexible prerequisite requirement, most do still require the full year of organic chemistry plus lab. plus the grade replacements will help boost your GPA for osteopathic schools.

last thing I'd suggest is that even though you have a lot of clinical experience already, shadowing and obtaining a physician letter (especially for osteopathic programs) won't hurt. good luck.

I agree with the above-- based on your writing, you've clearly thought this out. I would agree with the spending some time on biochem; but I would also retake Ochem-- as above just to make sure you aren't limited based on a nonpass score. I think with your experience and knowledge of what is involved in the medical field-- whether as a doc or nurse-- you will definitely have an advantage over your colleagues once you get in and practicing. best of luck to you, whichever type of school you choose!