1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

ADVICE FOR a HIGH SCHOOL Senior!!!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by AnuAmin, Apr 26, 2004.

1. AnuAmin

AnuAmin New Member

hey everyone...... i'm REALLY happy this site is available, i've been looking for advice for the last few weeks and i hope you guys can help me out ( i am TOTALLY short on time... i need to make a descision within the next 3 days)....

anyways, here's my situation: i'm a high school senior that did fairly well & i definitely wanna become a doctor..... I got into the Drexel University/Drexel Medical College 7-yr Accelerated Medical Program..... basically, 3 yrs drexel undergrad, and then i go 2 drexel med school for 4 yrs....
    --- my only question is.... is Drexel med a good school???? I couldn't find rankings on it and stuff....... i really wanna go 2 a top med school w/ good competition (i do better when i compete against fellow students).... i plan on trying out for a tough residency/specialization... prolly surgery or something....
    ---anyway, it comes down to... I'm thinking, if i can get into med school as a high school senior, wud i hav a better chance of getting into a better med school in 4 yrs..... (i dont care bout the one year saved and money isn't an issue)....

if i don't go 2 drexel, ill go 2 regular NYU undergrad--- (I was set on going to West Point and being a doctor in the army, however, the army took back my conditional acceptance LAST WEEK because i had a history of asthma! )

anyways..... yeh, so, i was wondering how good is Drexel..... i really wanna go 2 a good med school, so i was wondering if taking the traditional route @ NYU wud be a better path for me.....
    also, if you guys dont mind.... can you tell me some of ur stats ... like what kinda GPA/MCAT , EC's i wud need 2 get into drexel or a better school.... and how does drexel rate against other med schools..... thanks a lot guys, i hope i haven't offended any1, im reallie a novice in all this medical school stuff, and i jus wanna make shure i dont make any stupid mistakes....

THANKS A LOT.....

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. premyo2002

7+ Year Member

you may want to read a couple of threads, utilize the search function.

I personally think going to NYU is the best route... You never know if something else might catch your eye.

4. fullefect1

fullefect1 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

well if you are hopeing for a top ranked med school drexel is not one. But if you think that drexel doesn't have very bright students you are wrong. All med schools have hard workers that come from everytype of undergrad institution. You can defenitely earn any type of residency you want if you work your ass off, no matter which school you attend.

And yes you could get into a "better" Med school if you worked your ass off the next 3 years.

Oh ya, if you want to become an army doctor, west point wouldn't even be the way to go. You can go to any med school and become an army doctor. I think they start you off as like a Major or some kinda officer.

If I were you I would go for drexel.

5. fullefect1

fullefect1 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Even if you do except their 7 year BS/MD program, I don't think their is anything that is stopping you from applying to other programs. Is there?

6. fullefect1

fullefect1 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

If you don't mind me asking, what type of stats do you have to get into their 7 year program (GPA, SAT's, EC's)? I am just curioius and noisy on how competitive some of these high school to MD programs are.

7. kaikai128

kaikai128 Yes SIR. ;-)
    5+ Year Member

I know that you said money is not an issue but for some more information in case you were interested...each individual branch of the armed services has a scholarship called the Health Professional Scholarship Program (HPSP) that will pay for your medical school, all books and small equipment, and between 1100 and 1200 per month for expenses.
    During residency, you get money above and beyond what a resident is paid I think someone quoted me 30K/yr extra. After that you owe four years of service getting paid approx 150K depending on your specialty. This scholarship is somewhat like the ROTC scholarship on steroids. :) You do have to pass a medical exam, but I believe it is less rigorous than those you would have to deal with if you enlist. The stats I gave you are what my recruiter for the AF told me, but I believe the other branches are similar. In the AF, you start out as a Captain upon completing residency.

8. AnuAmin

AnuAmin New Member

hey guys, thanks for your advice... i still wud appreciate if any1 else cud give me their opinion too.....

oh btw, i didnt' mean that drexel didnt' have good students or anything, i visited and it was a good environment, buh i wud like a school w/ a prestigious name as well......

my stats 2 get into the program? well, drexel's isn't as selective as other ones.... Brown PLME is said to be one of the toughest, takes around 60 out of 3,000 applicants..... and NYU is comparable... this year took less than 5 (interviewed only 15) out of 800!!!!

well, for drexel.... i know the accepted class is near 40.... i dunno how many kids applied tho....
    ---my stats:
    tests:
    -800 math, 720 verbal
    -770 math 2C, 720 writing, 780 chem
    GPA: 3.95 out of 4.0 (but an A+ is a 4.3)
    -went to a very competitive magnet school in northern jersey...
    EC's:
    -volunteered @ hospital, rehabilitation center, at school, and a learning center for kids
    -worked @ the learning center after i volunteered as an instructor---its called Kumon
    --internship @ columbia genome center--sooo amazing, great experience!
    - played lacrosse on the high school team all 4 yrs
    - was part of debate team & interact/rotary club
    -had a top position in Model UN--- my school hosts our own conference, very fun!
    -- karate & tae kwon do for a total of 8 years (black belt in tkd, brwn in karate)

---um, i think that's it prettie much.... anyway, can sum1 tell meh how drexel ranks to other med schools.... and if i can get into a competitive residency ?

--- it is possible for me 2 exit out of the program if i chose 2 go 2 drexel, buh i hav 2 decide before i apply 2 othe med schools, and it must b b4 i sign a contract b4 i start my 3rd yr in undergrad......

okayyyy----that was a long post! lol

9. Cerberus

Cerberus Heroic Necromancer
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    my advice is simple:
    do each of the following at least once:

get laid
    drink beer
    pass out at a party
    stumble into the dorms drunk off your ass and try to act sober enough to get past the RA
    Sneak a keg into the dorms in your laundry hamper
    get shot down
    shoot someone down
    fall in love
    get your heart broken

Turkishking likes this.
  10. My first bit of advice is to stop spelling like that. Say "would" instead of "wud" or "anyone" instead of "any1" etc. It reminds me of my 14 year old sister when she insists upon talking to me over AIM.

As for myself, I would not want to start med school after only 3 years of college. Bust your ass off the first three years so you can take it easy and drink your ass off senior year before starting med school.

frosted_flake likes this.
  11. premyo2002

7+ Year Member

Let me clarify....Live life a little bit, don't stress too much about this stuff, just do well at the things you like to do... to quote the sandlot, "get in trouble, not too much trouble, but some"

12. willthatsall

willthatsall Unretired
    7+ Year Member

ADVICE FOR a HIGH SCHOOL Senior!!!

-Don't use caps like that.

13. SoCalOrBust

SoCalOrBust Plays well with others
    7+ Year Member

another thing about applying to other schools, the amcas app asks for POST SECONDARY experiences (meaning they don't care so much about hs accomplishments and are more interested in things you've done in college and beyond).

If you do Drexel, you don't have to take the MCAT at all??? That already sounds like a sweet deal!

I personally don't think that the school name will have as much influence on your residency as how the school suits you (for example, if you hate cold weather you might be miserable at Harvard). Do you know what specialty you want to do (other than just a "competitive one")? Keep in mind that board scores are a big factor in that, and if you are a very capable person you can do well on that and it won't make a big difference where you go to school.

I think most of us starting med school or attending it currently would agree that we think differently of our career goals after a few years in college and the application process. It's good to see someone starting on this early, but keep that in mind.

just my 5 cents

14. mellantro

mellantro Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

dude, why don't you just go to drexel and apply out to medical schools like the traditional after 3 years undergrad if you dont wanna be at drexel med. its not like NYU is gonna give you THAT much more of a boost vis a vis undergrad school rep. this way you have the MD acceptance already and you can see if you want to stick with it or try for something else.

ETA: oh sorry, i just made out something about you signing a contract. you used too many '2"'s i couldn't convert it into words. ;) so since you can't actually do what i suggest at drexel, you might as well go to NYU. i'm not a fan of the BA/MD programs unless it is of the caliber of Northwestern or Rice/Baylor.

You never know if you;ll wanna do something else as well, who knows, you may not want to be a doc in 3 years.

15. HooahDOc

Physician 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    To the OP, how the **** did you get a 720 in verbal?

16. IlianaSedai

IlianaSedai Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

AnuAmin,

It is indeed possible to leave combined programs and go to another place for medical school, IF you've done all of the usual pre-med requirements. So you don't have to stay at Drexel for med school if you decide you don't want to stay. I am not sure about this contract-thing -- no matter how much they threaten, they cannot tie your feet down to the campus with a chain. :p It MIGHT be that applying out means you forfeit your guaranteed space in the med school -- I've heard rumors about that sort of thing -- but I think it's unlikely. Even so, if you apply out, you will likely get in somewhere. Inquire at the school, or just look it up online.

That said, the main benefit of these types of programs is that (those that don't have cutthroat minimum gpa/mcat scores) they promise a cushy UNDERGRAD life. You will reap the benefits as an undergrad, and not as a medical student. Please, please, please check out the undergraduate college to make sure it's really where you want to spend the next four years. It is not worth going to an undergrad college you don't like -- if that is the case, better to just prepare to go pre-med at a college you love.

17. jlee9531

jlee9531 J,A,S
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    exactly. this is what i would do as well.

18. exmike

exmike NOR * CAL
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Are you saying he shouldve gotten higher?

anyway OP, hard choice. NYU isnt exactly a premed powerhouse, so the guaranteed route seems nice. however, NYU is a much more reputable school thatn drexel (the undergrad and med). tough choice, but a good dilemma to be in.

19. southbelle

southbelle Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Anu,

honey you're never going to have any luck with women if you don't change. A lot. So many questions and I don't really know where to begin.

1) You're 17 and about to graduate high school. Why oh why in the world are you reading and posting messages on SDN?

2) I don't understand the allure of combined degree programs. Too many people think getting into a medical school is an impossible task and a guaranteed admission is too good to pass up. If you're a gunner and the guaranteed admission is to stanford or something, I could see it. But most of the combined programs are to expensive private schools that aren't in the top 20.

3) You're a gunner now. Obviously. Do you really think that if you keep up with your gunnerish ways you're going to have a problem getting into medical school? Of course not. Despite what some people say on here, the majority of students with 3.6/30 profiles get into medical school, and often the medical school they wanted to go to. You won't have any problems, and you won't be in an awkward situation of having to get out of a contract with a med school you won't want to go to.

4) It really doesn't matter what undergrad you pick. Pick the cheapest or the one you like the best or the one where the girl you want to date from high school is heading to.

I wouldn't go to NYU for undergrad either. In fact, I would have tried to get out of NY for college and get a scholarship in a real college town. I'm sure NY has it's moments, but I'd much rather be an 18 year old in Ann Arbor, Athens, Chapel Hill, Baton Rouge, Charlotesville, etc than New York.

20. fullefect1

fullefect1 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hey, why didn't you apply to any IVY's with those stats? Or did you, and not get accepted?

21. exmike

exmike NOR * CAL
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    NYU isnt that prestigious of an undergrad that its worth giving up a sure thing spot at Drexel. Go to drexel and apply out.

22. WyldeWolf1

WyldeWolf1 Get your own!
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    *blink* I got a 780 in verbal on my SAT. It's not like it's unheard of.

23. exmike

exmike NOR * CAL
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    i beat you :p

24. lesstalkmorock

7+ Year Member

kid, listen to cerb.

25. lesstalkmorock

7+ Year Member

i think jkd is referring to the UsE of CaPz 2 spell LoLz

26. exmike

exmike NOR * CAL
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    hehe, yeah seriously.

27. premyo2002

7+ Year Member

good for you, want a cookie are something??

28. Sean2tall

Sean2tall Pathology Resident
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Umm . . or you could just do whatever you want?
    :rolleyes:

Why does everybody on this board try to tell you how to live your life instead of just answering the question?

No Drexel is not very prestigious. The school has changed hands a number of times recently and in general it is not one of the big names. But nonetheless you can still get a great residency coming out of there if you work hard.

29. Sean2tall

Sean2tall Pathology Resident
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Oh snap .. is that a Yip Man avatar? :cool:

30. ddmo

ddmo BMF
    10+ Year Member

I say go to Drexel. Why waste 4 years stressing over not only getting into a med. school, but getting in to one better than Drexel. It's all the same in the end, go to where you think you can be happiest and have the most fun.

In high school I had a friend who went the BS/MD route. I chose not to apply because "I want to go somewhere better/ I'm not sure that's where I want to be." 4 years later and 2 million headaches, I'll probably go to that school.

31. UseUrHeadFred

UseUrHeadFred Oh no! It's a Wumpus!
    5+ Year Member

I've got some advice for a high school senior.

Have you ever considered going into business? GET OUT WHILE YOU STILL CAN!!!!!

:)

32. grapp

grapp Premed 1
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Lol and don't get arrested for a DUI because the most definitely will hurt if not end your chances!!!!

33. WedgeDawg

Moderator 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You just bumped an 11 year old thread, which was unnecessary considering you are already getting responses in the one you just created.

34. J Senpai

J Senpai Grab my arm. Other arm. MY other arm.
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    IT'S ALIIIIIIVE!!!

frosted_flake and Holmwood like this.