Quantcast

Advice For A Newbie?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blunderbus

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
I have recently begun to plan for my pre-dent years coming up and I was just hoping if anyone was willing to share wisdom they wished they had known while doing predent or the like... It would be really appreciated :3

Bis-GMA111

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. keep up with classwork--do your hw; DO NOT slack off.
2. don't burn yourself out--take some filler courses to boost your gpa; this will also help you focus on more important classes
3. get to know your professors so that they can write you good letters of recommendation
4. take the DAT after you complete your prereqs so the material is still fresh in your mind

Toothshucker

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Time management is key.

Do what you enjoy and are passionate about. It will show during the application process. Don't join 23 clubs because you think it will look good.

Double check your adviser's suggestions/facts/plans. Get your information from primary sources.

Make time to enjoy college, in whatever way that means for you.

These aren't necessarily things I wished I knew going into college.

The Tooth Dr

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Kepp your GPA high as possible
Get involved with clubs but dont overwhelm yourself
Save time to relax or you will burn out quick

Teeths

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
- Take things seriously. This was my biggest issue in undergrad... I've finally listened to "understand the concepts and you won't have to memorize a thing" that practically every professor of mine has said to the class.
- Get to know a few of your professors. This helps tremendously when it comes time to ask for recommendation letters.
- Get involved in an activity or something you love even if it has absolutely nothing to do with dentistry. A sport, something artistic, something involving music, anything fun. It'll be an outlet and will show you're genuine in that you didn't do everything on your application just because you thought dental schools would like it. (This one doesn't apply to me, but I see so many with all these generic things that everyone and their mother pre-dental has on their app).

Good luck :luck:

LaughingGas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
All great advices, but I'll repeat them:

-Time management. Do the homework given/assignment on the same day. Don't cram for an exam. Specially if it's prereqs for dental school. You will be thanking yourself that you have solid foundation for DAT, thus have higher chance of scoring higher score.
-It's ok to take a break from school. You don't have to take classes just because everybody else is taking. Specially if in one term, the professor rating is very low (ratemyprofessor), don't be forced to take the class. It's ok to skip a term. Or if you are going through rough times.
-Stack your ECs (shadowing, volunteer, research). The sooner, the better.
-Study hard when you have to study, and play hard when you play.
-Develop a solid study habits, enjoy college life.
-Keep high GPA no matter what.
-Search scholarships.

Wiredtrix

Reaction score
I would start finding service opportunities and places to shadow. Try for 2 hours of service and 1 hour of shadowing a week, and by the time you apply you will have it covered. Ive heard that its better to show consistency for a couple of years rather than just cramming it in right before you apply.

Hawkteeth

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
You found SDN, you're already ahead of the pack.

illini16

Reaction score
Time management is key.

Do what you enjoy and are passionate about. It will show during the application process. Don't join 23 clubs because you think it will look good.

Double check your adviser's suggestions/facts/plans. Get your information from primary sources.

Make time to enjoy college, in whatever way that means for you.

These aren't necessarily things I wished I knew going into college.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Jbrowndds

SMILE ON!!!
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Try not to get pregnant. It makes things 10x harder. I am speaking from experience.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using SDN Mobile

dentalWorks

Nights Watchmen
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have recently begun to plan for my pre-dent years coming up and I was just hoping if anyone was willing to share wisdom they wished they had known while doing predent or the like... It would be really appreciated :3

during college, it not important what major you pick (even non science is okay) but work and do everything in ur power to maintain 3.4+ both overall and science GPA.

UCSFx2017

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Treat undergrad like a full-time job. Study/go to class/research from 9-5 or for >8 hrs per day. Aim for straight A's. Treat time more carefully than you do with money (don't waste it). Appreciate and get used to a productive lifestyle. Learn on your own. Have heuristic tendencies. Get out of your comfort zone and explore new interesting extracurricular and group activities. Have an agenda and, in the morning or the night before, write everything you plan to do and write an estimate of how long it'll take you to do it. Cross out your list as you complete the tasks. Have fun! (If you can make memorizing/learning fun then more power to you!)

GO TO YOUR STATE SCHOOL OR THE NEXT BEST THING!