Advice for a sophomore

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ssjakin

Reaction score
Hi I am a rising sophomore looking for any advice you all may have on improving my application in order to have a good chance at getting into t10s and t20s when the time comes. I am really motivated to do so, so anything you think (no matter how hard or ambitious) would help would be appreciated.
I have about two more years until my application cycle.

cGPA: 3.92, sGPA: 3.91
[*]MCAT: N/A
[*]State of residence: PA
[*]Race/ethnicity: Black
[*]Undergrad: T10 Ivy
[*]Clinical: ~200 campus EMT so far
[*]Research: ~200 hours of wet lab cancer research so far; 300 hours of clinical cancer research by the end of the summer
[*]Shadowing: ~10 hours (orthopedic surgery); lined up to have about 20 more hours by the start of next school year in neurology and oncology
[*]Non-clinical volunteering: ~180 hours of science research camp
~100 hours of tutoring
[*]Leadership: peer mentor?
[*]Anything else not listed you think might be important: library assistant

Members don't see this ad.

Moved to Pre-Allo forums as OP is not applying yet.

Continue gaining clinical hours and have non-clinical volunteering to the underserved (examples include homeless shelter, soup kitchen, food bank, working with foster youth etc). Shadowing primary care specialities would be good too.

Reactions: 1 users
Network with SNMA or MAPS. Find an academic enrichment program or mentoring program targetting Black premeds, especially Black Men (if appropriate). If you really want a shot at T10/20, get a summer research fellowship at a T10/20 or at NIH (my opinion).

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Network with SNMA or MAPS. Find an academic enrichment program or mentoring program targetting Black premeds, especially Black Men (if appropriate). If you really want a shot at T10/20, get a summer research fellowship at a T10/20 or at NIH (my opinion).
what do these fellowship programs look for in applicants? aside from GPA/research experience

Do you have any personal recommendations for the mentorship of one of these programs? And also what does networking with these programs do?

By summer fellowship do you mean any type of paid selective summer program at a t10/20 or something deemed specifically a fellowship?

Hi I am a rising sophomore looking for any advice you all may have on improving my application in order to have a good chance at getting into t10s and t20s when the time comes. I am really motivated to do so, so anything you think (no matter how hard or ambitious) would help would be appreciated.
I have about two more years until my application cycle.

cGPA: 3.92, sGPA: 3.91
[*]MCAT: N/A
[*]Clinical: ~200 campus EMT so far
[*]Research: ~200 hours of wet lab cancer research so far; 300 hours of clinical cancer research by the end of the summer
[*]Shadowing: ~10 hours (orthopedic surgery); lined up to have about 20 more hours by the start of next school year in neurology and oncology
[*]Non-clinical volunteering: ~180 hours of science research camp
~100 hours of tutoring
[*]Leadership: peer mentor?
[*]Anything else not listed you think might be important: library assistant
Try to get your name on a publication. Also try to assume a leadership role either in an on-campus organization or a volunteer position. Peer mentoring is a start, but I'm talking about leadership where you assume greater responsibility -- an outcome of some sort, multiple people, and the challenges that are associated with, motivating, working with, and empowering a group.

Do you have any personal recommendations for the mentorship of one of these programs? And also what does networking with these programs do?

By summer fellowship do you mean any type of paid selective summer program at a t10/20 or something deemed specifically a fellowship?

DM me on the networking organizations.

Hi I am a sophomore looking for any advice you all may have on improving my application in order to have a good chance at getting into t10s and t20s when the time comes. I am really motivated to do so, so anything you think (no matter how hard or ambitious) would help would be appreciated. I have about a year until my application cycle.

cGPA: 3.95, sGPA: 3.95
[*]MCAT: N/A (have started getting ready to prep for taking it in August)
[*]Clinical: ~360 hours campus EMT so far, ~120 hours patient companion
[*]Research: ~300 hours of wet lab cancer research so far; 150 hours of clinical cancer research
[*]Shadowing: ~20 hours orthopedic surgery; 10 hours neurology; 10 hours hematology
[*]Non-clinical volunteering: ~180 hours of science research camp,
~100 hours of tutoring and TAing
[*]Leadership: Co-founder of non-profit, hold board positions within EMS org
[*]Anything else not listed you think might be important:

Plan:

-Continue my activities
-Get more shadowing in primary care

Besides that I’m kind of lost on what else to do. Any help would be appreciated!

Looks great so far! Non-clinical volunteering with an underserved population would improve your application.

On the right track but a few suggestions:

1) Academic enrichment programs or affinity mentoring groups. Have you met SNMA or AMSA members? Have you connected with any Black in Medicine groups?

2) Do more off campus, specifically get more EMS experience where you are part of a community/city service. It's a different pace from campus EMS and is more "realistic". More time in primary care or emergency medicine.

3) Tutoring falls under teaching, not community service in the eyes of many committees. Your School should have an office that connects students with community service activities, so find something that is not medically related and immersed yourself in the issues you observe with the people you work with. Examples include food distribution, shelter work, helping those coming out of jail to find jobs, Habitat for Humanity, Peace Corps, etc.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi I am a sophomore looking for any advice you all may have on improving my application in order to have a good chance at getting into t10s and t20s when the time comes. I am really motivated to do so, so anything you think (no matter how hard or ambitious) would help would be appreciated. I have about a year until my application cycle.
I have merged your thread with a recent one from the summer to consolidate the advice and keep track of your progress.

On the right track but a few suggestions:

1) Academic enrichment programs or affinity mentoring groups. Have you met SNMA or AMSA members? Have you connected with any Black in Medicine groups?

2) Do more off campus, specifically get more EMS experience where you are part of a community/city service. It's a different pace from campus EMS and is more "realistic". More time in primary care or emergency medicine.

3) Tutoring falls under teaching, not community service in the eyes of many committees. Your School should have an office that connects students with community service activities, so find something that is not medically related and immersed yourself in the issues you observe with the people you work with. Examples include food distribution, shelter work, helping those coming out of jail to find jobs, Habitat for Humanity, Peace Corps, etc.

What if the tutoring is at an affordable housing complex run by a homeless shelter?

Last edited:
What if the tutoring is at a homeless shelter? Would it be non-clinical service then?
Here's the AAMC definition:
Service Orientation: Demonstrates a desire to help others and sensitivity to others' needs and feelings; demonstrates a desire to alleviate others' distress; recognizes and acts on his/her responsibilities to society; locally, nationally, and globally.

How does your tutoring position fulfill this definition of relieving others' distress, sensitivity to others' needs, responsibilities to society? If you are helping them write resumes and practice for job interviews, I could be convinced. Math, reading, or history classes: more like teaching.

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly, keep doing what you're doing, get more primary care experience (preferably with underserved pop), 515+ Mcat and I'd be surprised if you didn't. All of the suggestions are great but don't forget how important the mcat is. 520+(assuming everything else stays great) and I would bet my life you go t20.

Here's the AAMC definition:
Service Orientation: Demonstrates a desire to help others and sensitivity to others' needs and feelings; demonstrates a desire to alleviate others' distress; recognizes and acts on his/her responsibilities to society; locally, nationally, and globally.

How does your tutoring position fulfill this definition of relieving others' distress, sensitivity to others' needs, responsibilities to society?

Thank you for the definition. I feel sorta dumb asking my initial question now

My tutoring would definetly fall under service since it intends to provide educational support to children who are smart but lack the proper support or environment to fully thrive and reach their maximum potential.

If its okay with you, i would like to tell you all of my service commitments and have you judge if they’re enough.

I'm just saying that tutoring is an overrepresented activity and is/ very common among premed applicants. As a result, it tends to be devalued, even if your students are from underserved or disadvantaged backgrounds. Firthermore,by providing educational support, you are acting as an expert as most teachers do. Many people who truly serve others come from a perspective of humility where you comfort others who are in need, not instruct them.

Whatever detail you can provide would be helpful, but understand that we are trying to give you the view of many screeners and faculty reviewers in the admissions process.

Reactions: 1 user
Just a comment on tutoring.

If the OP is tutoring children who are underserved or who attend failing schools, and whose parents are unable to provide the economic or academic support the kid needs, then I would not fault the applicant for tagging this "community service". Ditto if the tutoring was for poor adults who were doing English as a second language or preparing for citizenship or GED exams.

If the tutoring is for fellow college students, or a paid gig with k-12 children whose parents are paying for this service, it could be tagged "teaching/tutoring" although one could also argue that "paid employment, non-clinical" could be acceptable, too, if the work is paid.

There are many works & activities entries that could qualify for more than one tag and the applicant can choose. The one place where I recommend being careful is tagging "clinical" if it is a gray zone. There, I would err on the side of saying "non-clinical" and let the adcom change it in their minds rather than saying "clinical" and getting downgraded. I don't think that community service/tutoring runs the same risk.

Hi yes, my tutoring is actually with cancer patients. Would this be considered something like non-clinical volunteering?

Are you in a hospital environment providing tutoring services to pediatric patients undergoing treatment for cancer?

Technically, if they are patients and you are face-to-face with them, you could even call this clinical volunteering in my book (people do this when they just play games with kids so why not other activities with patients?) or you could call it teaching/tutoring, or you could call it non-clinical volunteering although some people would think that is odd given that the site is a hospital and the people are patients.

If you have a ton of clinical experience and are lacking in non-clinical volunteerism, I'd suggest getting out of the clinical setting and meeting people out in the community who need help.

I'm just applying this cycle so please take that for what it's worth...but I wanted to chime in and wish you the best of luck!!

Echo the sentiment to focus on your MCAT studies this summer and crush it in August to obtain a score that confirms your awesome GPA. With that out of the way, focus Junior year on forming great relationships with those who will be writing your LOR. Sit down for coffee or office hours to let them know why you want to go down this path of medical school and what it means to you, how you've prepared and what the medical schools admissions process is. Get them to really want to go to bat for you. Update them on each milestone (e.g., MCAT score, publications, etc), which helps them stay invested in your journey. Good luck my friend...it's a long process but with the right preparation and attitude, success can happen.