BEST Course decision for Freshman and Sophomores in university

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sensen112

Reaction score
Hello, I am an incoming college freshman majoring in biology. This year I plan to take Physics 1 and 2 with lab, Chemistry 1 and 2 with lab, calculus for my first semester, and statistics next semester. During my sophomore year, I plan to take Organic Chemistry 1 and 2 with lab, Genetics 1 and 2, and biochemistry. I have AP credits for biology and psychology.

Is this the best course of action or should I be taking a class related to biology during freshman year?

Or is this perfectly fine?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I am an incoming college freshman majoring in biology. This year I plan to take Physics 1 and 2 with lab, Chemistry 1 and 2 with lab, calculus for my first semester, and statistics next semester. During my sophomore year, I plan to take Organic Chemistry 1 and 2 with lab, Genetics 1 and 2, and biochemistry. I have AP credits for biology and psychology.

Is this the best course of action or should I be taking a class related to biology during freshman year?

Or is this perfectly fine?
What does your academic advisor suggest?

Reactions: 1 user
Definitely check in with advisors plus try to see if you can ask for advice from any seniors in your major. Many departments have peer advising or orientation leaders know someone from your major. My freshman year I was advised to do no more than 2 "hard"/weed out classes per semester and that advice has served me well. Seniors often can let you know which classes are hard or need more time.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What does your academic advisor suggest?
My job increasingly involves students telling me that someone on the internet told them they're taking the wrong courses. On questioning, they don't know why they should take the new courses or understand that different schools have different structures.

Reactions: 1 user