Advice for after graduation from pharm school

Started by xxfoolxx
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

xxfoolxx

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I'm graduating in May 2009 and I'm thinking about how I should prepare myself financially afterwards to be able to accomplish some goals. A little background info... I'll be 24 when I graduate, not much money in my bank account, have about $40K in school loans with little to no debt besides that and am looking to move to southern California (Anaheim, Huntington Beach, Garden Grove, Westminster area). My goals are to be able to afford a house and a new car by the time I'm 27 and be financially stable to enjoy life after working hard for the past 6 years.

I'm pretty clueless when it comes to financial planning and finance in general, so any input from those that have graduated and were in relatively in the same position as I would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking for general to specific advice, and also whether my goals are realistic or if I'm just dreaming.

Thanks
 
So I'm graduating in May 2009 and I'm thinking about how I should prepare myself financially afterwards to be able to accomplish some goals. A little background info... I'll be 24 when I graduate, not much money in my bank account, have about $40K in school loans with little to no debt besides that and am looking to move to southern California (Anaheim, Huntington Beach, Garden Grove, Westminster area). My goals are to be able to afford a house and a new car by the time I'm 27 and be financially stable to enjoy life after working hard for the past 6 years.

I'm pretty clueless when it comes to financial planning and finance in general, so any input from those that have graduated and were in relatively in the same position as I would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking for general to specific advice, and also whether my goals are realistic or if I'm just dreaming.

Thanks

I'd hit up a financial adviser. I talked to one and he's given me some great advice....trying to get me retired securely at age 45 and all...
 
at our school forums...we had a financial planner come in and talk to us

these are the major points i got out of it
(1) Do NOT buy a car right away
(2) A house would be a good investment
(3) 15-20% of your paychecks go towards school loans
(4) Max out the 401k
(5) Watch out for the gold digging women (i added that)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm definitely going to try and pay off my school loans ASAP and have been told on multiple occasions about maxing out my 401K.

The gold digging women are another story. If I do end up in Cali, I'll be tripping over them everywhere I go. C'mon, it's California...hahah

Trying to figure out what's the safest, best ways to invest while I'm saving up for a house.
 
i've been doing a lot of research as well on buying a house

i've read that it is recommended not buying 2.5 times your salary
(i.e. you make 100k, then buy a house that is no more than 250k)

obviously, there's a lot of factors to consider and what not

but i think you will be okay b/c 40k in school debt is not that much
compared to the average...i have about $130k in debt
 
i've been doing a lot of research as well on buying a house

i've read that it is recommended not buying 2.5 times your salary
(i.e. you make 100k, then buy a house that is no more than 250k)

obviously, there's a lot of factors to consider and what not

but i think you will be okay b/c 40k in school debt is not that much
compared to the average...i have about $130k in debt

yeah, I'll have about 125K when I'm done, I wish I would only have 40K, good job on that

you may want to work and save up in philly first, moving to california (if you buy a house) is guaranteed to cost you at least 800K for something decent\

and being from HB originally, and going there next week for spring break, I would give it and the surrounding communities a big thumbs up, I would love to move there when I'm done with school
 
at our school forums...we had a financial planner come in and talk to us

these are the major points i got out of it
(1) Do NOT buy a car right away
(2) A house would be a good investment
(3) 15-20% of your paychecks go towards school loans
(4) Max out the 401k
(5) Watch out for the gold digging women (i added that)

Or men... depending.

Trust me- they are out there.
 
sorry i don't know how to use the quote function on the forums, so first to alby:
hahahh...you're definitely right about men being gold diggers too. i see what seems like an epidemic of girls in my class getting engaged, and the first thing that pops into my head is that they're about a year away from making $100K+/year, so i'm pretty sure part of the reason their bf's popped the question now was to not lose out on their winning lottery ticket. can't blame them though, because if i could find a girl that was making enough to support me, i'd be a stay at home dad in a heartbeat.

Jbuprepharm:
the 40K are only from the last 2 years of school because Temple is somewhat of a state school, so the in-state tuition was pretty cheap and couple that along with scholarships, grants, and some help from my parents, i think my first 4 years out of pocket probably totaled around 8K or less. been pretty lucky with that.

I spent last summer living in HB and working in the Ladera Ranch/Mission Viejo area as part of a CVS internship. those 3 months were probably the most relaxing and therapeutic time for me except the daily 25 mile commute each way to work. i just miss drinking beers at Hurricanes on Main street overlooking the beach. one of my best friends is actually living there now.

i can see your point of living at home for the first few years and saving up, but the longer i stay in philly, the harder it's going to be me for me to leave, and for reasons i'd rather not get into, i want to leave within months after graduation. as far as $800K for a decent house, i'm not going to be looking to live right by the beach, because of the premium for it. i've been looking at some online listings for homes around the surrounding areas and have seen some pretty nice houses for around $500K. also kinda hoping the housing market stays down for a little while longer to make things a bit more affordable.
 
the easiest way to achieve your goals is to continue the college student lifestyle as long as you can. i graduated and continued to rent the same crappy house and drive the same crappy car. its recommended to save 3-6 months of monthly income for emergencies in a money market fund (e.g. ING), the rest of your money can go towards paying off the student loan and saving for house down payment (at least 20%) and new car (buy outright). a financial advisor can help you with choosing best mutual funds/stocks.

too many of my classmate bought new cars/houses within a couple months of graduation...its a big temptation when seeing big paychecks for the first time, but self-control will pay off in the long run.
 
the easiest way to achieve your goals is to continue the college student lifestyle as long as you can. i graduated and continued to rent the same crappy house and drive the same crappy car. its recommended to save 3-6 months of monthly income for emergencies in a money market fund (e.g. ING), the rest of your money can go towards paying off the student loan and saving for house down payment (at least 20%) and new car (buy outright). a financial advisor can help you with choosing best mutual funds/stocks.

too many of my classmate bought new cars/houses within a couple months of graduation...its a big temptation when seeing big paychecks for the first time, but self-control will pay off in the long run.

Great advice! I'm going to try to follow this myself.
 
Enjoy your life. You only get one shot at being young with a bunch of money.

My first pay check I bought a dodge viper. Financially smart? Of course not. Worth it for me personally after a long day in retail to take out and enjoy?

YUP.

Granted were all not in the same financial situations and living conditions, but who wants to continue to live like a college student?
(I lived in a closet my last year of pharm school)
 
Enjoy your life. You only get one shot at being young with a bunch of money.

i totally agree with this statement too. i took out the max student loans every year and went traveling every year while i was in school. i have lots of student loan debt, but it was worth it. its true, you only get one shot to be young, and taking weeks of vacation becomes much more of a pain once you start working in the real world. the key is striking a balance between fun and financial responsibility.
 
a viper with your first pay check?! how much overtime was in that paycheck? 😕

as far as having fun while being young, i've been delaying all that fun and have pretty much spent the last 5 years of college, saving up taking out the least amount of loans possible, bored out of my mind. the only vacation i've had in the last 10 years was when i went to california last summer... as part of a internship with 45 hour work weeks. i'm kind of overdue to splurge a little bit after graduation.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I graduated in 2007 with about 130K student loans

Despite the well-paid salary of a pharmacist, I am still living like a student and watching my budget. I guess when you live like a student for so long, it isn't so painful to continue to do so for a few years to save up.

I also try to cook more rather than go out and eat.

Try to buy a used car unless you have to commute and if you buy a new car, ask if there are specials for graduates.

Start raising your credit score so that if you do plan on getting a house or a car, you'd get a good interest rate
 
Enjoy your life. You only get one shot at being young with a bunch of money.

My first pay check I bought a dodge viper. Financially smart? Of course not. Worth it for me personally after a long day in retail to take out and enjoy?

YUP.

Granted were all not in the same financial situations and living conditions, but who wants to continue to live like a college student?
(I lived in a closet my last year of pharm school)

Says the student with the mustang.

That mustang would eat your viper if its mostly stock 😎
 
damn i want a viper now too.

i got one question: how do you become a pharmacist and afford to live in houses costing 500k+? They say you shouldn't go over 2.5x your yearly salary. So do you just save up 250k, then get a loan for another 250k or what?
 
damn i want a viper now too.

i got one question: how do you become a pharmacist and afford to live in houses costing 500k+? They say you shouldn't go over 2.5x your yearly salary. So do you just save up 250k, then get a loan for another 250k or what?

2.5x your yearly salary seems like an underestimation. so the typical pharmacist in california makes about, let's say $125K/year. 2.5(125) would be about $310K. that price would only get you a rancher in a bad neighborhood in most parts of southern california. i'm pretty sure most pharmacists aren't living in ranchers. i think in PA, the typical retail pharmacist salary is about $110K/year, and i know that some of my pharmacists have houses about $350+.

granted, those houses probably aren't their first houses. probably saved up and worked their way up to afford it. i'm hoping after working for about 2-3 years, saving and proper investing, will afford me the luxury of buying a $500K house give or take a few grand. :meanie:

everyone i've talked to about buying a house says that it's best to put 20% down to ensure a better mortgage rate, but if you can't come up with the initial 20%, there are ways around avoiding going into debt because of the higher rate. i'm not confident about my answers, but i'm starting to do my homework via advice from other more financially apt people, and those that have been through what i will be going through in the next few years.
 
You don't have to live like a college student once you graduate, but remember you are a working-class professional, not a rap star. Set a budget and stick to it. Determine your needs and wants, and set some money aside for an emergency. It may seem like you are about to win the lottery, but the reality is much different.

Buy a house if you want to, but remember most people change jobs after a year. In my circle of friends, some have had 3 jobs in 2 years. My wife and I (both pharmacists) also changed jobs within our first 2 years of our starting jobs. Location may not be an issue in SoCal, but in rural PA, your job options may be limited if you want to stay in the house you bought. And moving/selling is just another expense. sales commission at 6% of $310,000=$18,600... Not a welcome expense in your first year out of college.

Consider renting! If you make $125K/year, this amounts to roughly $3K after taxes every 2 weeks in California. A mortgage payment on a $310K house with 10% down is about $2500/mo after taxes, insurance, etc. You can rent nice places in many larger cities for much less than that. True, you aren't "building equity" but you really don't do that during the first few years of the mortgage anyway! My first home had an initial mortgage of $173K, now after 3 years, I still owe $167K - oh, and its rented out for less than market value in a town 90 miles away because I couldn't sell it in this market.

***If I could change 1 thing I did in my first year out of school, this would be it! Rent instead of buy.

Your car. If it works, keep driving it! If it endangers you or others each time it enters the road (as my 1989 Olds Cutlass Calais did!) find a reliable 3-4 year old used car (Accord, Camry, etc) from a reputable dealer. Or, better yet, buy the 2 year old car from your classmate for what the dealer will give her for trade-in when she upgrades to a Caddy/Jaguar/BMW (and $500 monthly payments plus tags, title, taxes, ins).

Student Loans. They were your friend in school, don't be a back-stabber just because you think you have moved on to better, classier friends. Spread your payments out as long as possible and invest any "extra" money you have in the market, T-bills, gold, the Euro? Any of these is better than giving the money back early.

If you must pay them back early, let me take assignment of your loans and give you 0% interest for 5 years. And while you are suffering to make your $670/monthly payment, I will be making your $191/mo payment and saving the difference, and by the time you have them paid off in 5 years, I will have $33,000 that you have given me, which at 6.5% interest, will pay off the rest of your 25 year debt obligation without ever touching the principal.

Also, get disability insurance! You should get life insurance too, but if you die, that's someone else's problem. Its much worse if you are disabled and can't work. I know a pharmacist that now works in WalMart's stockroom after his stroke incapacitated him. He had no disability insurance and has had to sell his home to avoid bankruptcy. Protect your future earnings with a good DI policy. Northwestern Mutual, MetLife, etc are good. Check their ratings with AM Best.

Financial advisers? meh... Look for a fee-only based adviser, if at all. Even then, they probably won't beat a good index fund. Only a small percentage (20%?) of highly-paid mutual fund managers do, if these people were that good, they wouldn't be working!!! Mutual fund and insurance salesmen (wolves) often wear "financial planner" clothing. They are still wolves. Buy mutual funds and insurance from them if you need to, but you will often find that the advice they give you is not in your best interest.

Any questions? PM me...