Advice for Biochem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Takeda

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Taking the January 2016 exam. Currently enrolled in a Kaplan Course.

I just finished Bio 1 and 2 with A's. Unfortunately, I have to take the MCAT before taking a formal Biochemistry course (nontraditional). I usually self teach myself course content anyway. To supplement Kaplan's Biochem book/foundations course which other book would you recommend using to master MCAT Biochem concepts? The general consensus on these forums seems to be that Kaplan isn't a great platform for someone to begin Biochem learning from with the intent of scoring 509+.

1. Lehringer's Principles of Biochemistry Textbook (reading the appropriate chapters)
2. BR Biology Book II
3. BR Biology Book II & Organic Chemistry Book II
4. Another option (please specify)

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It would be ideal to take a biochem college course. Prep books (Kaplan, EK, TBR, TPR etc.) are designed for MCAT studying, which is different from learning a new subject. Therefore, you might want to hold off the MCAT until you take the class, espcially since the new one is heavy on that subject.
However, If you can't for whatever reason, then TBR is the way to go. Also, I believe they are going to release a biochem book this fall, but I'm not 100% sure. You can call their HQ and check.

Reactions: 1 users
What about biochem is so different from the way Kaplan presents it? 'm just curious..I have taken a biochem course, and I also studied biochem for the MCAT from the Kaplan 7 book set..I don't see much difference in the biochem. Is it being compared to the AAMC fl or the people who took the actual MCAT?

I do not have Kaplan's biochem book, therefore I really can't say what is the difference between the two. I took biochem when I was a junior. But, from past experience with the other sections (physics, organic chemistry, physiology), college courses were far more helpful than any prep book I've bought (EK, Kaplan, TBR). It is not to say these courses are bad, I'm actually using TBR right now and I think it's great. However, I can't imagine studying for any section as a new topic just from these books without having some difficulity. They don't clarify every single thing and they're not supposed to. If they do, then it is not a good source for parctice. MCAT prep courses are MCAT focused (style, timing etc.), they don't teach sciences, or else public institutions would use them as study material.
Anywho, that's just my take.