Advice for COMLEX III

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DO_Surgeon

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just registered for COMLEX III next month. I am a general surgery intern, and have had the majority of my non-surgical rotations. I just bought crush step 3 and the NMS q book. Anyone have any advice for studying (length of time, books, important topics, etc) What about the new computer format and how many questions do you need to pass?

Members don't see this ad.

BUMP!! Taking it in 3 weeks 1 day!!! Advice any previous/ recent COMLEX III takers?
I plan to use FA step 3, COMQUEST and Skim through Savarese.....

Thanks!

Just got my scores! woo!

step 3 - 809/96 = 99%

Did comquest once = 76% average and repeated incorrect questions
Also did Kaplan Qbook questions - sections on Imed and ob/gyn/peds.
Studied savarese
Master the boards twice
Skimmed First Aid USMLE step 2 (YES, STEP 2)

In retrospect, i would not have spent time on Surgery. I mainly concentrated on OB/GYN and Peds and OMM.

Best of luck!

Just got my scores! woo!

step 3 - 809/96 = 99%

Did comquest once = 76% average and repeated incorrect questions
Also did Kaplan Qbook questions - sections on Imed and ob/gyn/peds.
Studied savarese
Master the boards twice
Skimmed First Aid USMLE step 2 (YES, STEP 2)

In retrospect, i would not have spent time on Surgery. I mainly concentrated on OB/GYN and Peds and OMM.

Best of luck!

809??

Max score is 800, I thought.

Members don't see this ad :)
809??

Max score is 800, I thought.
You can get higher as shown above. In each test their are sample questions that they would like to use in future years, getting those correct give you bonus points. It generally doesn't matter because us non-robots miss enough regular questions that the bonus is hidden. There is a surgical candidate that interviewed where I'm at with an 840ish score.

I'm currently a 4th year and I want to get this test out of the way.

Anyone take Step III comlex at end of 4th year or right before start of internship?

I have 2 primary care, 1 ICU, and 1 ED rotations left. I feel its easier to study now that it would be as an intern.

I'm currently a 4th year and I want to get this test out of the way.

Anyone take Step III comlex at end of 4th year or right before start of internship?

I have 2 primary care, 1 ICU, and 1 ED rotations left. I feel its easier to study now that it would be as an intern.

Believe you need to have a diploma from medical school to be able to schedule the exam. Thus, I would guess you probably could take it in July.

COMQUEST average? I just started so my average 63% but way to early to tell. Let me know whats a good average.

Thanks

What's everyone's opinion on taking this test before residency and getting it out of the way?? Also, I am looking to use crush 3/first aid/ MTB for studying. Are those good book resources? Any opinions on q banks would be appreciated. Thanks.

( I am looking for advice from those who recently have taken the exam).

Last edited:
Now at 82% correct with some repeats of incorrect answers as well as some correct ones to really solidify my knowledge. I just covered the answers and answered the question without the choices.

Anyone use this combo or any opinions: UW3, COMQUEST 3, and either master the boards or crush step 3 (or both)?

I'm hoping to take it before starting intern year since I have a 2 month break before graduation. I was gonna do First Aid+COMQUEST+COMBANK.

Scores from the 13th of Feb released today.

I used COMBANK because I had a free month to use, otherwise I would have used comquest/UWorld like I did on steps 1/2. I mainly did questions for 4 weeks and used step up to step 2 since I was already familiar with it from step 2. I also used FA for Step 3 for OB and Peds. FWIW, I'm doing a TR internship so I had a pretty broad exposure to specialties including peds, OB and psych.

Overall Combank average 74% partly because I was scoring in the ~40% range on OMM as I didn't study any OMM until the week before.

Comlex step 3 score was in the high 600's.

Glad to have it over with, it's been nice being able to study anesthesiology books without feeling guilty about not studying for step 3. :laugh:

edit: I also skimmed through that green savarese sp? book for the first time ever, about a week before the exam.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Scores from the 13th of Feb released today.

I used COMBANK because I had a free month to use, otherwise I would have used comquest/UWorld like I did on steps 1/2. I mainly did questions for 4 weeks and used step up to step 2 since I was already familiar with it from step 2. I also used FA for Step 3 for OB and Peds. FWIW, I'm doing a TR internship so I had a pretty broad exposure to specialties including peds, OB and psych.

Overall Combank average 74% partly because I was scoring in the ~40% range on OMM as I didn't study any OMM until the week before.

Comlex step 3 score was in the high 600's.

Glad to have it over with, it's been nice being able to study anesthesiology books without feeling guilty about not studying for step 3. :laugh:

edit: I also skimmed through that green savarese sp? book for the first time ever, about a week before the exam.

What's your take on COMBANK? You mentioned you did it but you didn't sound too enthusiastic about it

If the standard deviation is 80 and the average score is 500 and passing score is 350, doesn't that essentially mean the pass rate is 97% on this thing?

Right now I'm in school and will graduate in May. Can I sign up now to take comlex 3 in June? Or do I have to wait till graduation to register for the exam?

you have to have someone (ie your employer) certify your application. i'd just wait til you start residency to start the process.

you have to have someone (ie your employer) certify your application. i'd just wait til you start residency to start the process.

So does this mean I cant take comlex 3 before I start residency? Kinda wanted to get it done with, since I'll be even busier in residency.

COMLEX Step 3 on May 7th, read crush and halfway through MTB, went through UW once, will finish comquest within the next two days. My question: should I go through UW again, comquest again, go through combank (kinda reluctant as overall opinion seems to be its not that great) or do kaplan qbank? I think doing questions in tutor is better than straight reading review books, but I don't want to pick the wrong qbank or goof up my final three weeks of studying. So review or new? combank or kaplan?

As if you could study for this thing anyway :laugh:

Last edited:
You need to be certified by your school as having graduated to sign up for the exam. And frankly, I was grateful for having had intern year just behind me when I took it - the exam was SO much easier for a medicine intern year.

COMLEX Step 3 on May 7th, read crush and halfway through MTB, went through UW once, will finish comquest within the next two days. My question: should I go through UW again, comquest again, go through combank (kinda reluctant as overall opinion seems to be its not that great) or do kaplan qbank? I think doing questions in tutor is better than straight reading review books, but I don't want to pick the wrong qbank or goof up my final three weeks of studying. So review or new? combank or kaplan?

As if you could study for this thing anyway :laugh:

Oooook. So, chose COMBANK. While it is good for reviewing basic topics, as a qbank it seems much, much too easy in a majority of questions. 1076 questions BTW.

Just got back from this stupid exam. What a joke. Pretty sure I failed it. Can't imagine how else I would have studied for it though: over three months, 3 qbanks, 2 review books, and reviewed my step 2 UW notes and briefly tormented myself with an OMM review. The fault did not lie with inadequate preparation.

It was by far the worst written out of the 3 extremely poorly written exams.

Vague question stems. A plenitude of WTF questions that were impossible to study for. Lots of awful OMM questions. Somebody should file a lawsuit against the esteemed scholars responsible for writing this thing. How are you supposed to study for this?! Super pissed that I'm out $700 and have to use my free time to study for it again at some point. And the best part is it is an entirely meaningless exam that is no reflection on the reality of how good of a physician you are.

Ugh.

Just got back from this stupid exam. What a joke. Pretty sure I failed it. Can't imagine how else I would have studied for it though: over three months, 3 qbanks, 2 review books, and reviewed my step 2 UW notes and briefly tormented myself with an OMM review. The fault did not lie with inadequate preparation.

It was by far the worst written out of the 3 extremely poorly written exams.

Vague question stems. A plenitude of WTF questions that were impossible to study for. Lots of awful OMM questions. Somebody should file a lawsuit against the esteemed scholars responsible for writing this thing. How are you supposed to study for this?! Super pissed that I'm out $700 and have to use my free time to study for it again at some point. And the best part is it is an entirely meaningless exam that is no reflection on the reality of how good of a physician you are.

Ugh.

Me to....So many ridiculous questions....TONS of OMM, Peds, OB/GYN

Barely any internal medicine questions. WTF is with all those questions on audiometry?!?!?!

I think I failed. Can you ake the USMLE step 3 for licensing instead?

Last edited:
Took COMLEX 3 today... unbelievable how terrible this exam is. Questions are completely irrelevant to medical practice. I'm pretty sure I failed this exam. Way too many random OMM questions. I'm sorry, but in the Emergency Department I don't plan on doing osteopathic structural exams. What ever happened to the easy viscerosomatic reflex and chapman point questions (maybe 10/50 OMM questions). I did USMLE world, COMQUEST (was averaging 75-80%), First Aid step 3 and savarese. There is no way to study for the randomness of these questions.

I did really well on COMLEX 1 and 2 (>600) and USMLE 1 and 2 (>230) but I also left those tests feeling much better. I don't know what happened today. :confused:

Super frustrated right now. All I can do is pray for a miracle.

Took COMLEX 3 today... unbelievable how terrible this exam is. Questions are completely irrelevant to medical practice. I'm pretty sure I failed this exam. Way too many random OMM questions. I'm sorry, but in the Emergency Department I don't plan on doing osteopathic structural exams. What ever happened to the easy viscerosomatic reflex and chapman point questions (maybe 10/50 OMM questions). I did USMLE world, COMQUEST (was averaging 75-80%), First Aid step 3 and savarese. There is no way to study for the randomness of these questions.

I did really well on COMLEX 1 and 2 (>600) and USMLE 1 and 2 (>230) but I also left those tests feeling much better. I don't know what happened today. :confused:

Super frustrated right now. All I can do is pray for a miracle.

It seems like the may 7 test was a real bomb lol. I still cannot believe the questions I got.

for those who took the test recently, which question bank did you find most helpful?

comquest?
combank?
usmleworld?

did you find any particular text helpful?

first aid step 3
boards and wards?

thanks

for those who took the test recently, which question bank did you find most helpful?

comquest?
combank?
usmleworld?

did you find any particular text helpful?

first aid step 3
boards and wards?

thanks

Crush

COMBANK & COMQUEST....Unfortunately, I really do not feel like that is a gold standard to prepare for the exam. It is such a terrible test.

Kaplan Master the Boards, Comquest, Combank, and Savarese. I think Uworld is probably a waste of time and money.

I plan on using MTB, COMBANK, COMQUEST and skim read FA STEP 2 again. Should I use UWORLD ?

It seems like the may 7 test was a real bomb lol. I still cannot believe the questions I got.

I took the May 14 test and also found it to be really difficult. I was quite surprised that ppl stated it was easy. For me it was not easy and even more difficult than step 2. That's my perception though and maybe to some it was not that hard. I left feeling frustrated too afterwards. I didn't like the test at all. I don't know how ppl can say they did not study for this thing. Even after 2 months of studying, I didn't feel prepared at all.
Btw, I used crush 3 ,combank , and some first aid step 2, and savarese.
Really surprised that the results came out in 4 weeks. :)

I took the May 14 test and also found it to be really difficult. I was quite surprised that ppl stated it was easy. For me it was not easy and even more difficult than step 2. That's my perception though and maybe to some it was not that hard. I left feeling frustrated too afterwards. I didn't like the test at all. I don't know how ppl can say they did not study for this thing. Even after 2 months of studying, I didn't feel prepared at all.
Btw, I used crush 3 ,combank , and some first aid step 2, and savarese.
Really surprised that the results came out in 4 weeks. :)

I wanted to study a lot more but in reality only had a week to cram stuff in.

Studying doesn't help for this exam. I felt I bombed it and somehow passed. I don't get it. I felt so much better on Step 2 than this crap.

I wanted to study a lot more but in reality only had a week to cram stuff in.

Studying doesn't help for this exam. I felt I bombed it and somehow passed. I don't get it. I felt so much better on Step 2 than this crap.

I thought I failed it too but glad to have passed it. Yeah I really felt crappy after the exam .

This is my first post on these forums and will probably be my last, not because I do not wish to be helpful but because I don't want to think about Comlex 1-3 -- and especially 3 -- ever again. Here's the deal: I was one of those med students who had to work like mad just to get myself to the middle of my class rankings for the first two years, but then got all honors on every rotation the second two years, one of three at my school to do it. In other words, I'm not the best standardized test-taker. Give me oral exams or practicals any day.

Comlex 1-2 scores were mediocre. Was intern of the year and resident of the year two out of my 4 years in training at my hospital (total of about 80 residents over several programs). Then I failed Comlex 3...by three points. If you think I'm kidding, feel free to ask my 401(k), the student loan people in my state, my surprised (disappointed?) attendings, and my family. Study method was to read through First Aid 3, Crush 3, B&W, pretty much all the usual suspects. Like most people report on here, I skimmed Savarese, which is to say that I memorized the sympathetic/parasympathetic charts/diagrams that everyone on here says you MUST know. More on this in a moment. Was pretty sure my excellent training and that study method would carry me through, esp. since I had an extra 50 points to play with (350, cf. 400). It didn't.

Took test again on May 14 2012 after 6 more weeks of studying. Passed, with 190 point increase. The jump is attributable to two things, both important, but the second more important than the first:

1) Changed study method, obviously. Did not read review books and memorize facts like I did for Comlex 1, 2, and first attempt at 3. Review books, you see, give you the name of the disease entity you're studying then the complaints, etc, and how to diagnose it. The exam (and the real world, as you know), comes in the reverse order...you get the complaints, etc, and use your diagnostic skills/tests to come up with the disease entity. Then you treat. Put more succinctly, in a way, you are learning the material in the reverse order you will be using it. Believe it or not that actually crosses up a lot of bad test-takers, including me. Solution: I could not afford online question banks, so used borrowed question books in this way: read question, attempt to answer question, whether right or wrong, I would then go to FA, B&W, Crush, whatever, and read about disease process relevant to that question. Did this about 400 times. Made it more concept-relevant than abstract, to me, as if I were seeing patients in vignettes in my mind rather than (re-)memorizing. Began recalling patients I had seen with these diseases during training (this absolutely solidifies retention). I got through the material much faster, as well.

2) When it comes to Savarese, a lot of people on here say they "read over it" or "skimmed" it or "looked through it" the night before. Pure excrement. If you did, you either knew it from before and didn't need to read it for boards, you're a good guesser and/or wonderful test-taker, or you're lying. The BEST ADVICE anyone can give you for Comlex 3 (and probably any of them, but I am speaking only about Comlex 3) is to actually READ Savarese. First, do an internet search for errata in your edition of Savarese, mark them in your book, and then actually READ the book -- don't look through, go over, or skim. The OMT questions on Comlex 3 are the GIMMES. They're incredibly simple. The test-writers are GIVING you these points, and yes, there are a LOT OF THEM. I was an idiot for not reading it the first time. Even with what I remembered from medical school, my score report from my failed exam said I was on that borderline thing regarding OMT knowledge. After failing the exam, remembering how many OMT questions there were on the thing and hearing EVERYONE say that they had a lot on their tests, too, it seemed pretty simple that improvement in that area would give me the most bang for the buck as far as improving my score. Solution: Corrected errata, then read Savarese. Then read it again. Then read it chapter-by-chapter twice (meaning I would read a chapter then read it again before moving on to the next one). Then read it all the way through again. Reading Savarese can be done in one day, two for better retention, three if you're really taking your time. The point is that I was HOPING OMT questions would come up on the test because I knew I'd get them right. This reduced my test-taking anxiety, too. By test day I had read through it five times. My score report (which came back in just short of four weeks, I believe...right, my fellow May 14th'ers?) showed the bars denoting performance on OMT questions and general OMT knowledge to have moved to the extreme right as opposed to the borderline performance of before. Without question, reading (and reading and reading) Savarese was the key to increasing my score so much. And no, I'm not Dr. Savarese, nor am I affiliated with his text in any way except that I could probably write it backwards and forwards now.

I'm not saying all this stuff to gloat or to show off, because there are people who have done much less and gotten better Comlex 3 scores than me. I'm only writing this because I figure maybe it'll help someone who has failed this awful -- and it really is awful...poor grammar/punctuation, substandard pictures and audio components, etc -- exam. It has nothing to do with what kind of doctor you are or will be. During the time that I had failed and was studying for the retake, it cost me a lot of money, a couple of friends, and even an attending or two distanced themselves from me in their disapointment, plus a few family members (I could tell) were wondering if all my medical education was worth it. And all because of an exam whose writers take an aspect of medical diagnosis and treatment that has the least scientific evidence to support it...and make it the most important part of the exam, the biggest single subject that is tested. Anyway, now that I did the two things above, I get to tell my detractors that if they need me I'll be doing what I know I'm good at -- helping patients get better -- or maybe shopping for a new car (after paying back some debts, of course).

I hope this helps someone. Feel free to send me direct messages with questions, comments, or ridicule, but I don't plan on posting here publicly again. Thanks.

Congrats guys! Blah... guess I'll be doing Savarese for OMM, and COMBANK/COMQUEST for the OMM questions and Ob/gyn + peds, which is not exactly relevant to my field of psychiatry (except maybe peds). Seems like everyone here is using Crush Step 3?

Hey all, bump for anyone who has taken COMLEX III recently. Any updates or tips?

Also, for those that have taken it: I will be doing 1 month of COMQUEST, and 1 month of COMBANK, one after the other (take exam end of September). About to start. Which one should I buy and do first? I want to do the lower yield one first, then whichever qbank is better last so I'm best prepared before the exam. Thanks!

I did a little bit of both question banks and found Comquest to be much more pertinent! Prep as best ypu can be prepared to see the questions alternate between gimmes and WTF?! Good luck!

Took it in late June... passed, well above the average. I "studied" using first aid for step 3 (since it was provided in my residency's lounge) and comquest for about 3 weeks before the exam.

Are there Clinical management cases on comlex level 3 like usmle step 3? Or is the test kind of like level 2 with more emphasis on management?

Anybody take Level III recently and care to give their thoughts? I take this sucker in 3 days... I'll try and give my impressions after the exam.

Goodluck man! I take it in 2 months. I just started studying this weekend and planning to do 30mins a night. Unfortunately I'm back on wards soon so we'll see how that goes. I'm using Kaplan MTB, COMQUEST, and will quickly skim USMLE 2 secrets the week b4 the exam. I hope that will be enough. Let us know how it goes!