Advice for current applicant and potential reapplicat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ncubed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to a few schools this year, not really expecting to get very far in the application process because of my u/sGPA. I'm currently in a master's of neuroscience program and have been interviewed and wait listed from my current institution. I'm aware that many people on SDN consider a master's degree as a glorified EC but I decided to still pursue it since it coincides with my interests.

After submitting my AMCAS application last summer, I have new ECs and a decent gGPA. I would love to attend my state schools (NY) but as of today officially have been rejected from them all. Should I withdraw from the wait list, and attempt to reapply next year? If I ultimately end up not accepted at my current institution, what are my chances at the SUNY schools or any other low tier schools in the northeast? Thanks.

Stats:
GPA: cGPA: 3.5, sGPA: 3.3, gGPA: 3.7 (Approx, finishing in May. All upper level neuroscience classes)
Upward trend in undergraduate with 3.8-3.9 in the last 4 semesters and all As in upper level science classes.

MCAT: 1) V/P/B - 7/11/11 - 29
2) V/P/B - 12/9/11 - 32

ECs first cycle:
- Treasurer of fraternity and other various executive board positions
- Tutored and taught an after school class to impoverished high school students in an after school program (60+ hours).
- Volunteer EMT for 5+ years. Captain of members under 20 years old.
- Volunteered at a hospital in Kenya for a summer. Shadowed surgeons and primary care physicians for 160+ hours
- Shadowed cardiologist and orthopedic surgeon (80+ hours each).
- Worked two summers with a construction company

Current ECs
- Worked in a laboratory and since submitting my application I've had 6 presentations/abstracts (1st-3rd author) and 2 papers (2nd author). If I don't end up in med school next year, I'll work there again during the summer. Received a great LOR from my PI.
- Worked with a different PI in a different field for 3 months, currently tweaking an abstract to be submitted.
- Shadowed a neurosurgeon for 10+ hours. Will do more over the summer if I'm not accepted.

I applied early August and was rejected pretty late from them all pre-interview. I updated the schools about my new ECs but if I submitted it with the AMCAS, I think it would have had a bigger impact. If I don't end up getting accepted, I'll include DO schools next cycle too.

tl;dr: Interviewed at a school with mediocre stats, should I withdraw and reapply with better ECs and GPA next cycle? If I don't withdraw but I'm not accepted, what are my chances at reapplication?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Keep yourself on the wait list. Send updates and LOI. Start preparing your application for the next cycle. Apply earlier this cycle aka the first day possible.

Keep yourself on the wait list. Send updates and LOI. Start preparing your application for the next cycle. Apply earlier this cycle aka the first day possible.
Thanks for the reply. I have sent a letter of interest back in October (post interview, a day before the wait list decision) and multiple update letters (October, January and March) including all my new ECs and LOR.

I may not know if I'm accepted until August when my lease is up in May. I think I would rather call this cycle and reapply next year showcasing my stronger ECs and next year work in a research lab or some other science related job.

Does anybody have other advice or heard of similar situations where the applicant reapplied and was successful? I'm open to the possibility that I should just stay on the wait list and see what happens, I shouldn't be presumptuous either way, but it would make my life simpler knowing definitively now.

Edit: I'm ncubed, couldn't log in to my account the other day. Something was off with saving cookies - Not sure if this violates some TOS rule. Sorry in advance.

Last edited: