Advice for DIY Post-Bacc Pathway (and reinvention in general)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

that_sad_fish

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, please bear with me, I feel like I'm in an odd spot (?), I tend to be long-winded, and I'm fairly new to SDN.

I'm currently 21 (ORM, 1st gen), finishing my undergrad this December with B.S. in Psychology (emphasis in Neuroscience), along with completing most pre-Med coursework. I'm currently sitting at a 3.25 cGPA, 3.40 AMCAS sGPA, and 3.41 AACOMAS sGPA, with a straight/slightly downward trend. Most of my semesters were ok (As > Bs), with the exception of 1 bad semester (2 Cs, 2 Ds) and 1 complete withdrawal semester.

I've had a personally rocky few years in college, that I've, in all honesty, completely wasted. I had some minor health issues and subsequent mental health/social decline that I ignored/didn't take care of properly, paired with some typical burnout and laziness. In addition to my inconsistent grades, I have little to no shadowing hours, no volunteering, clubs, research. I also had sort of a poor/non-existent support and guidance system within my family/friends/peers/advisors; I always had a sense of inferiority among other pre-meds (been surrounded by overachievers or gifted procrastinators), especially with my inability to gain momentum with any ECs. This slew of factors led to me constantly be in this limbo between hopefulness and hopelessness of being a viable pre-med student, and ultimately got me nowhere. I understand that much of this is my fault, but what's happened has happened, and moving forward I am completely ready to dedicate all of my time to becoming involved in meaningful clinical, volunteering, or research experiences, along with improving my GPA.

Sorry for the long list of excuses, I have always been more than motivated to study medicine and deliver effective patient care, regardless of the long/arduous path that follows; I just need to be able to prove this to the ADCOMs, especially in light of my overwhelming "mess-up" period. Even though it may not seem that way, my relative strength is academics; many of my lower grades throughout undergrad were because of very poor study habits/attendance. I've done well in and enjoyed learning in most of my science classes, even through my rough period. I am planning to set out a strict study schedule over the next 3-4 months for the MCAT, taking it sometime during the fall, aiming for a 515+. I have recently received phlebotomy certification, and am actively looking for phlebotomy work to be involved in for the longer term. I'm also remaining on the search for opportunities in local organizations and areas I have personal interest in to become more involved in.

I'm planning to pursue a DIY post-bacc at my local state university (I've read over Goro's guide for Reinvention), stretching it out for ~2 years after graduating, so I have enough time to balance ECs (I know it will be stressful/busy, I'm willing to push myself to the limit).

I've come up with this rough plan over the past couple months mostly by myself with little to no feedback, lurking on Reddit and SDN. The main question is: Is this viable, considering I work hard and get a 515+, and 4.0 in my post-bacc?

My lack of ECs is what worries me the most, as it's something that doesn't seem to common for reinvention applicants. I'm really just looking for general guidance/advice/tips in my coming journey, or should I be ready to take on another career?

I've been feeling confused, frustrated, and lost lately, but I'm determined to turn things around. Any feedback is appreciated. Sorry for the lengthy post, thank you for taking the time to help.

Members don't see this ad.

Your current GPA is fine for the majority of DO schools. If you do well in your post bacc you could be competitive for MD schools also. You need a minimum of 500 on the MCAT for DO schools. 508 or higher and you could potentially receive MD interviews. You should accumulate 50 hours of physician shadowing, including primary care. Also 200+ hours of clinical volunteering with patient contact. 200 hours of non clinical volunteering would also help.

Your current GPA is fine for the majority of DO schools. If you do well in your post bacc you could be competitive for MD schools also. You need a minimum of 500 on the MCAT for DO schools. 508 or higher and you could potentially receive MD interviews. You should accumulate 50 hours of physician shadowing, including primary care. Also 200+ hours of clinical volunteering with patient contact. 200 hours of non clinical volunteering would also help.

Thank you! That's good to know; I figured the lack of an upward trend of any sort would be the most damning aspect of my transcript. I'm glad I can place a rough estimate on how to plan/distribute my volunteering time.