Advice for east coast people going to west coast interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pure Anergy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Or vice versa too, I guess.

I'm from the east coast and applied to several west coast programs. Now that the euphoria of getting invites has worn off and the reality of the cost of making multiple trips out west to interview has set in, I'm having a hard time deciding if I should attend one of the interviews. It's not going to be possible for me to make just one trip because of my rotation schedule. I was able to combine a few west coast interviews together and I'm going to go to those. But the west coast program I'm the most interested in would have to be an entire second trip just for that one program. There's no way I can combine it with the others. There are a few more western programs I could combine it with, but I don't think I really want to go to those. So my question is if it's worth the hassle and expense of making a special trip for one program on the opposite coast. The program sounds amazing and if it was in the northeast, I'd go. Or if I had a spare $500 to drop, I'd go. Or if there weren't a bunch of other programs closer to home that I also really like, I'd suck it up and go. But since it's far away, expensive, and unnecessary to go on this interview, I'm struggling. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

500 bucks is worth it for a program you are seriously considering.

My med school offers a program to stay with alums for free. That may be a way to cut down on costs by staying with someone.

Members don't see this ad :)
My med school offers a program to stay with alums for free. That may be a way to cut down on costs by staying with someone.
My school does that too, and it's a huge help if you can snag someone. But even if I do, the main cost is going to be the flight. It's so expensive to travel, especially around the holidays. :( I'm thinking EMMountain is right though and I should probably go. Thanks, guys.

hey its MountainEM :laugh:

I think you are making a wise choice. We are all spending more than we should but interviewing is an important process-not a time to be cheap in my mind. good luck

hey its MountainEM :laugh:

I think you are making a wise choice. We are all spending more than we should but interviewing is an important process-not a time to be cheap in my mind. good luck
Haha, oops, sorry. :oops:

But yeah, you're right. This is an important decision, and it's worth sucking it up if that program might be The One. I talked to my parents about borrowing a little money if I need to, and they said they would try to help. Thanks again, and good luck to you too.