Finding balance (or I hate people now, need exposure to nonsucky ones)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wasn't bad? Pacific rim is a g**d***ed cinematic masterpiece. If you're looking for something with the depth and nuance of The Godfather, you're looking at the wrong category of film. If you're looking for a melodrama about humanity desperately struggling to survive against waves of Kaiju by developing a program of giant warrior robots controlled by a neural link to their pilots, this movie is your jam. It hits all the right notes. Hope, despair, loss, triumph, noble sacrifice and redemption of character that you'd expect to see in this genre. All the while, the set budget for this film must have been astronomical given how often the cast is chewing the green screen to pieces. Is it predictable? Of course it is! That's the point. And if this premise sounds interesting, you can also predict that you'll d*** well have fun watching it.
A Guillermo Del Toro movie that I missed!?! I know what I'm doing on my next night off!

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Wasn't bad? Pacific rim is a g**d***ed cinematic masterpiece. If you're looking for something with the depth and nuance of The Godfather, you're looking at the wrong category of film. If you're looking for a melodrama about humanity desperately struggling to survive against waves of Kaiju by developing a program of giant warrior robots controlled by a neural link to their pilots, this movie is your jam. It hits all the right notes. Hope, despair, loss, triumph, noble sacrifice and redemption of character that you'd expect to see in this genre. All the while, the set budget for this film must have been astronomical given how often the cast is chewing the green screen to pieces. Is it predictable? Of course it is! That's the point. And if this premise sounds interesting, you can also predict that you'll d*** well have fun watching it.

1. It was good. I like to see giant robot ass kicking as much as the next nerd. Cinematic masterpiece is a bit much. The sequel was an abortion, and I had HIGH hopes for it.

2. I take issue with (a) few things: 1. The Jaegers can only be piloted by two intensely neurally linked individuals and this is the premise behind all the rigorous selection and training process and the potential romantic tension behind Charlie Hunnam and Token Anime Chick...Except when one pilot does it. Or three pilots do it. Because. 2. "Oh. I have a sword. Lulz. I fergot." These things break my brain sometimes.

A Guillermo Del Toro movie that I missed!?! I know what I'm doing on my next night off!
The 2nd one is just ok, the first is great.
1. It was good. I like to see giant robot ass kicking as much as the next nerd. Cinematic masterpiece is a bit much. The sequel was an abortion, and I had HIGH hopes for it.

2. I take issue with (a) few things: 1. The Jaegers can only be piloted by two intensely neurally linked individuals and this is the premise behind all the rigorous selection and training process and the potential romantic tension behind Charlie Hunnam and Token Anime Chick...Except when one pilot does it. Or three pilots do it. Because. 2. "Oh. I have a sword. Lulz. I fergot." These things break my brain sometimes.
The weight of the Jaegers would smash the helicopters lifting them together, if they could even lift it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

I am very much like you in regard to obvious plot holes or glaring logical inconsistencies making me crazy 99% of the time. That said, there's a little spot in my brain reserved for campy movies (within a genre that I already enjoy) where I view these otherwise obvious flaws as nothing more than an accentuation of the fact that the film doesn't take itself too seriously, which is again, part of what makes it a wonderful thing. Pacific Rim slides quite nicely into that little slot for me.

Comparatively, you can take a movie like Transformers which I view as complete and utter garbage. It probably has fewer plot holes than Pacific Rim, but it takes itself seriously. As a result, it is judged by a completely different set of rules and that judgement finds it lacking in literally every department beyond "Michael Bay signature gratuitous explosions."

Reactions: 3 users
I am very much like you in regard to obvious plot holes or glaring logical inconsistencies making me crazy 99% of the time. That said, there's a little spot in my brain reserved for campy movies (within a genre that I already enjoy) where I view these otherwise obvious flaws as nothing more than an accentuation of the fact that the film doesn't take itself too seriously, which is again, part of what makes it a wonderful thing. Pacific Rim slides quite nicely into that little slot for me.

Comparatively, you can take a movie like Transformers which I view as complete and utter garbage. It probably has fewer plot holes than Pacific Rim, but it takes itself seriously. As a result, it is judged by a completely different set of rules and that judgement finds it lacking in literally every department beyond "Michael Bay signature gratuitous explosions."
Precisely. I want my plots tight, my history accurate, my physics believable… UNLESS you convince me to flip the switch to hilarious fantasy mode, in which case **** IT lets do it!

Pearl Harbor—> a handcrafted insult to our greatest generation, the worst waste of film since the Kodak factory fire of ‘53
Porco Rosso—> sky pirates in biplanes terrorize wealthy cruise ships, our hero a literally pig-faced pilot in a sea plane swoops in to the rescue? YES. MORE. GIVE ME MORE.

Reactions: 2 users