Finding balance (or I hate people now, need exposure to nonsucky ones)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sylvanthus

Attending
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have grown to dislike people more and more over the last few years. Just tonight we got 2 meth abusers, 2 polysubstance, and an alcohol pancreatitis in the ICU. Every…single….admit/consult…. was drug related. Anyone have advice on balancing this **** out with volunteering or at least being exposed to the other side of society? The non suck side? Does it exist? I need more balance.

Members don't see this ad.

Cut back your hours. Realize the world is unfair. See things with more sympathy/compassion and realize there is a suffering to what we do.

Reactions: 1 user
Nature, bro.
I just got back from a 2 day hike way out in the Florida backcountry with two amigos from work.
Not a Florida Man was encountered, remarkably enough.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have grown to dislike people more and more over the last few years. Just tonight we got 2 meth abusers, 2 polysubstance, and an alcohol pancreatitis in the ICU. Every…single….admit/consult…. was drug related. Anyone have advice on balancing this **** out with volunteering or at least being exposed to the other side of society? The non suck side? Does it exist? I need more balance.
I feel you. I had a much longer rant that i deleted twice but I'll leave at that. I feel you.

Start viewing each sucky person as an RVU unit that translates to dollars.

Unless your salaried.

/sarcasm (unless...)

Every patient is a pinata filled with cash. Some have lots of cash, some have a little cash. However I've come to believe that if everyone else is going to take their wacks and their cuts, it's not fair for me to not take mine.

Reactions: 3 users
It exists. I volunteer for a place whose motto is "a hand UP, not a hand OUT." Instead of just giving out money, food, etc., they help people who want to work hard to improve their lives. Adult reading programs, English as a second language, GED prep, basic job skills, financial counseling, general life counseling, etc. All free, and all funded by donations, so they don't have to answer to any government BS. And the other volunteers are all excited to be there, too, and not in a saccharine way. No disgruntled patients or grumpy consultants. I walk out of there grinning every time.

Agree that nature is a cure for many ills, too. And dogs. I enjoy taking my well-behaved dogs to public places and watching people's faces light up when the dogs act like they're the greatest person they've ever met. Not just kids, either. Sometimes it's the huge guy with the neck tattoos who just melts under a pile of friendly fur.

Reactions: 2 users
It exists. I volunteer for a place whose motto is "a hand UP, not a hand OUT." Instead of just giving out money, food, etc., they help people who want to work hard to improve their lives. Adult reading programs, English as a second language, GED prep, basic job skills, financial counseling, general life counseling, etc. All free, and all funded by donations, so they don't have to answer to any government BS. And the other volunteers are all excited to be there, too, and not in a saccharine way. No disgruntled patients or grumpy consultants. I walk out of there grinning every time.

Agree that nature is a cure for many ills, too. And dogs. I enjoy taking my well-behaved dogs to public places and watching people's faces light up when the dogs act like they're the greatest person they've ever met. Not just kids, either. Sometimes it's the huge guy with the neck tattoos who just melts under a pile of friendly fur.

Damn.
What's the name of this organization?
I'm hoping there's one or something similar near me.

Matthew 25: 35-40.

Damn.
What's the name of this organization?
I'm hoping there's one or something similar near me.

Matthew 25: 35-40.
Naming it would give away my specific location, but I can say that it's not part of a larger national or international organization. It's just a local center. You might not be able to find something in your area that has ALL of these programs, but I'm sure if you pick one, you could find some organization doing it near you.

I'm sure we all know this pain. Especially when they aren't nice people: verbally or physically abusive, entitled, abrasive and just offensive. I get a lot of them in my ICU as well. Heart failure, withdraws, intubated in the ED for overdose, trauma... you name it.

I don't really have any wisdom to offer you. For me, I generally sit down, take a few deep breaths and try to visualize as best as I can, their lives. In/out of the street, in/out of the hospital, constant danger trying to scam/steal enough money to buy a few minutes of a break from this life, knowing each injection could be the one that trashes your heart valves, or leads to heart failure, or kills you outright. Then repeating the pattern. Constant threat of violence on the street...

Then I think about what circumstances drove them to it. For some, perhaps some bad choices that they couldn't get out of. For others they hardly had a chance. Born into parents that prostitute them, beat them, mentally torture them because they have their own demons. So the only escape is to the streets and to drugs. Now here they are 5 years later, in my ICU, throwing defecated blood and **** at me.

Nothing excuses their behavior. But there is a reason for it. None of that makes me feel better whenever I take a boot to the face, or I'm spit on.

Basically, I can hate these people too. But when I've had a chance to calm down, and think about their lives, I just realize how lucky I am that it's not me. Much of our station in life is dependent on luck alone, where you are born, and who your parents are. While I still despise their behavior, I do feel empathy for them - and this, is the only thing that keeps me going. It takes time though, hard to feel empathy for someone who is physically assaulting you.

Reactions: 6 users
I take the opposite approach as Tipsy. I use as little brain space for these people as possible. They’re a room number. I immediately forget about them as soon as I walk out the door. If they cause any ruckus I have zero tolerance for any nonsense and have no problem reaching for chemical sedation. I won’t leave my staff in danger or wasting everyones time trying to constantly redirect these fools. Immediate droperidol and Ativan. They get a 5-10 minute chance or it’s a fat IM dose of ketamine. Then intubation if needed. There’s just no reason to let these people get to you or for you to even have to spend any amount of time thinking about. Even if they’re the nice type of polysubs/etoh, they already know they’re destroying their life. They usually just laugh hyuck hyuck “I should probably quit”. “Yep”. Not your problem. Once you walk through the door frame, shrug it off and forget them.

There’s a 99% chance they’ll never contribute anything to society and in the extremely rare case they “fix themselves” it won’t be me or you. They’ll likely end up dead, in jail, or so jacked up they get tucked away in a group home from septic emobolic cva, dying from end stage cirrhosis, or something.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It's better to treat them than it is to be them.

It can help me to realize that, while the patient may be making really bad choices day to day, they didn't choose to be born into the life that led them to where they are now.

That said, I still get frustrated sometimes. Try not to judge yourself for getting frustrated by these patterns - they're frustrating!

Basically, I can hate these people too. But when I've had a chance to calm down, and think about their lives, I just realize how lucky I am that it's not me. Much of our station in life is dependent on luck alone, where you are born, and who your parents are. While I still despise their behavior, I do feel empathy for them - and this, is the only thing that keeps me going. It takes time though, hard to feel empathy for someone who is physically assaulting you.

Life is not completely luck, not in a country like the US where those who seek opportunity can definitely get ahead. Yes, it’s lucky to be born in an educated family that isn’t struggling with poverty, but people have so much control over their lives and the decisions they make especially if they are lucky enough to be born in the US or another developed country. If you are born in the US, you have so much opportunity. Maybe if you were born in the slums of India or pakistan or the poorest parts of Africa then yes you are extremely unlucky and your opportunities are minimum in life.

Most Americans can get free education up to 12th grade and then get government loans for any further higher education. Anyone can do it here if they have the will, drive, and ambition to succeed. Most of them just don’t have the mindset of success which is adopted from the environment you are in - but mindset can change.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Don't have great advice for interactions with others, but I do have suggestions for activities outside of work that help with tolerating work and increasing zen. During the past few years through COVID and divorce, I've learned how to be comfortable with being alone and really enjoy "me" time:

1) Weight lifting. Been at this for about 2.3 years and the results are real. Look and feel great. I have a home gym and also a cheap AF membership at a commercial one. Protein and creatine monohydrate are your friends.

2) Solo tabletop gaming. So much content out there ranging from short and simple games to real brain burners that require your full engagement. I like this cause it makes me focussed on achieving a goal and reduces screen time. Can give suggestions.

3) Reading. Novels mostly. Mostly sci-fi and fantasy. Just bought Hyperion after failing to get through Dune for the 2nd time.

4) Hiking w dog. Self explanatory.

Reactions: 7 users
I take the opposite approach as Tipsy. I use as little brain space for these people as possible. They’re a room number. I immediately forget about them as soon as I walk out the door. If they cause any ruckus I have zero tolerance for any nonsense and have no problem reaching for chemical sedation. I won’t leave my staff in danger or wasting everyones time trying to constantly redirect these fools. Immediate droperidol and Ativan. They get a 5-10 minute chance or it’s a fat IM dose of ketamine. Then intubation if needed. There’s just no reason to let these people get to you or for you to even have to spend any amount of time thinking about. Even if they’re the nice type of polysubs/etoh, they already know they’re destroying their life. They usually just laugh hyuck hyuck “I should probably quit”. “Yep”. Not your problem. Once you walk through the door frame, shrug it off and forget them.

There’s a 99% chance they’ll never contribute anything to society and in the extremely rare case they “fix themselves” it won’t be me or you. They’ll likely end up dead, in jail, or so jacked up they get tucked away in a group home from septic emobolic cva, dying from end stage cirrhosis, or something.
This was my policy as well. Friendly, Firm, then Find the F*** out. Geodon, Versed, Ketamine, and four points. I don't have the time or the staff to deal with you when the department is overcrowded with boarders, at least 2 of them are ICU holds actively trying to die that are requiring the attention of the hospitalist crew and my crew to keep them alive, and "security" is woefully ineffective if they even show up.

Unfortunately, I'm dealing with the professional and licensing aftermath after defending myself from one of these that physically attacked their family, a safety sitter, then a nurse and me. I'll post a lessons learned when it's eventually concluded.

What works for me after work to deal with it:
1) Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: One of the few times I can turn my brain off and focus strictly on what I'm training. It's great exercise, and a good gym is like a second family,

2) Trains: Kinda nerdy, I know. But, I've loved them since I was a kid. I volunteer at a railroad museum that's restoring a steam locomotive. Nice to throw on the old jeans, steel toes and work shirt and work with my hands and tools to bring a gigantic piece of history back to operation. I collect old Lionel model trains and railfan occasionally on my days off

3) Lego: Have a few of the higher end Technic sets, mostly cars. We have a table in our living room with whatever set we're working on. Nice way to wind down after coming home.

Reactions: 4 users
3) Reading. Novels mostly. Mostly sci-fi and fantasy. Just bought Hyperion after failing to get through Dune for the 2nd time.
If you haven't read Piranesi, add it to your list. I picked it up earlier this month & finished it very quickly because I simply couldn't put it down.

Don't have great advice for interactions with others, but I do have suggestions for activities outside of work that help with tolerating work and increasing zen. During the past few years through COVID and divorce, I've learned how to be comfortable with being alone and really enjoy "me" time:

1) Weight lifting. Been at this for about 2.3 years and the results are real. Look and feel great. I have a home gym and also a cheap AF membership at a commercial one. Protein and creatine monohydrate are your friends.

2) Solo tabletop gaming. So much content out there ranging from short and simple games to real brain burners that require your full engagement. I like this cause it makes me focussed on achieving a goal and reduces screen time. Can give suggestions.

Nothing better than lifting and running. Been at it for ten years. Leaving the gym with that post dopamine high. Everything turning green. Light breeze. Very hard to beat that feeling.

This was my policy as well. Friendly, Firm, then Find the F*** out. Geodon, Versed, Ketamine, and four points. I don't have the time or the staff to deal with you when the department is overcrowded with boarders, at least 2 of them are ICU holds actively trying to die that are requiring the attention of the hospitalist crew and my crew to keep them alive, and "security" is woefully ineffective if they even show up.

Unfortunately, I'm dealing with the professional and licensing aftermath after defending myself from one of these that physically attacked their family, a safety sitter, then a nurse and me. I'll post a lessons learned when it's eventually concluded.

What works for me after work to deal with it:
1) Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: One of the few times I can turn my brain off and focus strictly on what I'm training. It's great exercise, and a good gym is like a second family,

2) Trains: Kinda nerdy, I know. But, I've loved them since I was a kid. I volunteer at a railroad museum that's restoring a steam locomotive. Nice to throw on the old jeans, steel toes and work shirt and work with my hands and tools to bring a gigantic piece of history back to operation. I collect old Lionel model trains and railfan occasionally on my days off

3) Lego: Have a few of the higher end Technic sets, mostly cars. We have a table in our living room with whatever set we're working on. Nice way to wind down after coming home.

Post LEGO pics and I will do the same.

(1) Hyperion is awesome, enjoy. I also love Dune, but I think Hyperion (and the sequel) are much more readable, especially on first pass.
(2) Talk to me about solo table top gaming. I love games. Board games. Computer games. My kids are still elementary aged, so a bit limited what we play as a family (my daughter has a streak of winning Wonders Duel against me though…). Got a stack of games I don’t get to play enough. I do have a couple solo ones… D-Day at Omaha Beach, which is really a classic old school war game and intense study of those landings, and Pavlov’s house which is quite fun solo. I got a Dune game which apparently has solid solo-play for Xmas, but haven’t tried it yet. Most of my solo gaming ends up being PC Civ6 (ONE MORE TURN) or similar, but there is something meditative about the tactile nature of board/tabletop games that is missing with computers.

I’m going to give the same advice (with my unique flavor) as you’ve gotten upthread:
A lot of patients you meet are lovely people, often having horrible days. Find them. Spend an extra minute or 3 with them. Enjoy them. Let them re-energize you. Some patients will be horrible. Even if you and the rest of your staff are kind, compassionate and understanding they will curse, belittle, and try to harm you. This is the nature of the beast and cannot be changed. What CAN be changed is how you react and adapt to this insult.
It is your duty to care for them. Acknowledging that this is honorable, and that you do a service to humanity, is important. You need to give them excellent care without irretrievably harming yourself. Can you be zen, and let water roll of your back? Can you enjoy the challenge of efficIency and distance? Do you need to see them as RVUs, another achievement to unlock? Learn a way to maintain arms length distance from harm.

As far as balance, I’m not an expert but I think you need a couple outside things. Perhaps Mind/Body/Spirit—
(1) Physical. Exercise, HARD. I don’t think the type is important really, just something you enjoy. I’m a cyclist who likes to lift some weights and run a couple times a week.
(2) A creative, meditative, quiet, cerebral hobby / niche or two. Myself, I like making scale models (I mostly make historic tanks/armor, but occasionally planes or sci-fi things). I also like reading novels/history/sci-fi. I know people who wood-work, who write, who study literature, who publish in “real” journalism, travel to enjoy historic sites, paint, etc.
(3) Socialization. Outside of work (its fine if its with work people! We work with INCREDIBLE people).

You can mix these, and do social sport, or hobbies that have social aspects. But I think some of all 3 are important to keep your head straight (or MY head straight…)

For me, I generally sit down, take a few deep breaths and try to visualize as best as I can, their lives. In/out of the street, in/out of the hospital, constant danger trying to scam/steal enough money to buy a few minutes of a break from this life, knowing each injection could be the one that trashes your heart valves, or leads to heart failure, or kills you outright. Then repeating the pattern. Constant threat of violence on the street...

• Haha
I’m going to give the same advice (with my unique flavor) as you’ve gotten upthread:
A lot of patients you meet are lovely people, often having horrible days. Find them. Spend an extra minute or 3 with them. Enjoy them. Let them re-energize you. Some patients will be horrible. Even if you and the rest of your staff are kind, compassionate and understanding they will curse, belittle, and try to harm you. This is the nature of the beast and cannot be changed. What CAN be changed is how you react and adapt to this insult.
It is your duty to care for them. Acknowledging that this is honorable, and that you do a service to humanity, is important. You need to give them excellent care without irretrievably harming yourself. Can you be zen, and let water roll of your back? Can you enjoy the challenge of efficIency and distance? Do you need to see them as RVUs, another achievement to unlock? Learn a way to maintain arms length distance from harm.

As far as balance, I’m not an expert but I think you need a couple outside things. Perhaps Mind/Body/Spirit—
(1) Physical. Exercise, HARD. I don’t think the type is important really, just something you enjoy. I’m a cyclist who likes to lift some weights and run a couple times a week.
(2) A creative, meditative, quiet, cerebral hobby / niche or two. Myself, I like making scale models (I mostly make historic tanks/armor, but occasionally planes or sci-fi things). I also like reading novels/history/sci-fi. I know people who wood-work, who write, who study literature, who publish in “real” journalism, travel to enjoy historic sites, paint, etc.
(3) Socialization. Outside of work (its fine if its with work people! We work with INCREDIBLE people).

You can mix these, and do social sport, or hobbies that have social aspects. But I think some of all 3 are important to keep your head straight (or MY head straight…)

The three things you just listed are being repeated in one form or another by multiple other posters on here. I'll add-on mine for variety.

1.) Get buff. It sounds like I'm bragging, but kids on the bike trails in their late teens and twenties that I chat with (because I'm an innately hypersocial person) often remark something like: "Bro. You're. Jacked." I can officially bench press over 1.5 RustedFox units of weight. (255 lbs; I weigh 152 at present)

2.) I got into playing Dungeons and Dragons with some of the techs at work. The rules are highly cerebral, and I'm a closet fantasy nerd. My wizard character is very precise and finds creative solutions to puzzles, much to the dismay of our DM. Rule for the next campaign is: "each of you must select ONE monster from the manual to be included in the quest"; thus getting us to understand the rules governing the classification and behavior of beasts and such.

3.) Everyone at my grocery store, usual restaurants, bike shop, etc... they all "know Doc!" It's nice to stay in touch with them.

Suggestions requested.

Like many others here, I would also like the suggestions under #2.

Also, based on your enjoyment of sci-fi and fantasy I'd also recommend the mistborn series by Brian Sanderson. Or Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. Both are excellent.

1) Pandemic. Can be played solo or cooperatively. Easy to learn and then build on w expansions.

2) Fire Tower. Solo or competitive. Easy to learn, aesthetically pleasing materials...i suggest purchasing the "rising flames" expansion at the same time.

3) Mansions of madness. Solo or cooperative. Horror themed exploration game loosely based off H.P. Lovecraft stories. Lots of cool miniatures that you can paint if you're into that.

4) Spirit Island. Solo or cooperative. My current project. Pretty complex and difficult to learn and play. Really fun and cerebral though with tons of replay value.

5) Scythe. ****ing love this game. Post WWI dystopian war engine building game that can be played solo or competitively. Great materials and miniatures.

Lots more suggestions for other strictly multiplayer games.

Boardgamegeeks.com is a great resource too!

I have a big, big problem with what you wrote

You're using Ativan. My pharmacists have told me it's on a national shortage so I'm not allowed to use it for anything other than seizures. Please use valium k thx bye happy ER quiet time

• Haha
Sanderson is great! Inread the first two books of The Stormlight Archives which I really enjoyed. Book 3 didnt really capture me though.

I'll have to check out Mistborn!

• Love

In my experience this attitude is 100% correlated with career longevity.

Reactions: 4 users
Suggestions requested.
Solo:
Arkham Horror Collectible Card Game (not the board game which is fiddly as f$@%)
Gloomhaven / Frosthaven
Tainted Grail

Also, based on your enjoyment of sci-fi and fantasy I'd also recommend the mistborn series by Brian Sanderson. Or Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. Both are excellent.
Problem is that I don't think Rothfuss is ever going to finish the series. That being said, I just re-read the existing 2 books and they hold up if not quite as amazingly as on first read.

Betrayal at House on the Hill is a fun multiplayer board game!

Reactions: 1 users
The three things you just listed are being repeated in one form or another by multiple other posters on here. I'll add-on mine for variety.

1.) Get buff. It sounds like I'm bragging, but kids on the bike trails in their late teens and twenties that I chat with (because I'm an innately hypersocial person) often remark something like: "Bro. You're. Jacked." I can officially bench press over 1.5 RustedFox units of weight. (255 lbs; I weigh 152 at present)

2.) I got into playing Dungeons and Dragons with some of the techs at work. The rules are highly cerebral, and I'm a closet fantasy nerd. My wizard character is very precise and finds creative solutions to puzzles, much to the dismay of our DM. Rule for the next campaign is: "each of you must select ONE monster from the manual to be included in the quest"; thus getting us to understand the rules governing the classification and behavior of beasts and such.

3.) Everyone at my grocery store, usual restaurants, bike shop, etc... they all "know Doc!" It's nice to stay in touch with them.
:thumbup::thumbup: for the 'RustedFox units,' or, if I may 'RFu.' My engineering brain is pleased......

Problem with name of the wind is that he has the grrm problem and way too many threads to tie up. I don't think we will get a third book and if we do, it's gonna be a long wait

Edit: just noticed arcan said the same thing just above

Also I really liked the first two books of stormlight archives as well and I think he picked himself back up in book 4. I'm looking forward to book 5.

Other great series are wheel of time (took me like a year and a half to get through it and the middle books are so damn slow) and the dark tower series (about to start 3)

People who get unreasonably frustrated or difficult to work with tends to bring stress from home. Almost always people who have bad home relationships bring it to work and instead of taking it out on/fixing it with their spouse, bottle it in, and bring it to work. Not everyone, but I see this very often. The ones that have a great home life, almost always bring happiness to work with them.

From my director's point of view in the 20+ yrs I have worked, the above is almost universally true. So before trying to fix work, see if there is something at home to fix first.

If there is nothing to fix at home, When I see pts come to the ER with nonsense (50%+), Drug addicts, alcoholics, Pscyh, homeless, etc I look at it this way

1. Job security.
2. I interact very little. Labs, then home or admit.
3. Expect that this is part of the job, we are the safety net for everyone, thus setting your shift expectations.
4. If this doesn't work, find a Club Med ER or FSER. These pts are the upper 25% and you will no see the bottom 25% at all. No EMS, no medicaid, no medicare, no homeless, etc.... It will be a good balance.

People who get unreasonably frustrated or difficult to work with tends to bring stress from home. Almost always people who have bad home relationships bring it to work and instead of taking it out on/fixing it with their spouse, bottle it in, and bring it to work. Not everyone, but I see this very often. The ones that have a great home life, almost always bring happiness to work with them.

From my director's point of view in the 20+ yrs I have worked, the above is almost universally true. So before trying to fix work, see if there is something at home to fix first.

If there is nothing to fix at home, When I see pts come to the ER with nonsense (50%+), Drug addicts, alcoholics, Pscyh, homeless, etc I look at it this way

1. Job security.
2. I interact very little. Labs, then home or admit.
3. Expect that this is part of the job, we are the safety net for everyone, thus setting your shift expectations.
4. If this doesn't work, find a Club Med ER or FSER. These pts are the upper 25% and you will no see the bottom 25% at all. No EMS, no medicaid, no medicare, no homeless, etc.... It will be a good balance.

Careful with #4 there.

one of the rules of the house-- 'the patient is the one with the disease.'

i am relatively early in my career, but i guess i'm lucky in that this flavor of patient just doesn't really bother me. when i struggle with maintaining empathy, it has always been a symptom of burnout (or whatever we're calling it these days), and that improves for me after time away from work or working relatively fewer shifts. find what you need to get some perspective or empathy back. challenging patients are the sin qua non of the ER.

Didn’t we just get done playing that for like 3 years?

I haven’t been able to play that game since the start of covid. It felt like we were living it too much. It is an excellent game if you can get past the premise at this point now.

I haven’t been able to play that game since the start of covid. It felt like we were living it too much. It is an excellent game if you can get past the premise at this point now.
Used to be on repeat at our house every week or two. Haven't touched it in 3+ years, despite lots of gaming opportunities.

Used to be on repeat at our house every week or two. Haven't touched it in 3+ years, despite lots of gaming opportunities.

Thats really interesting because it's sat on my shelf unplayed for the past 3 years as well...fantastic game tho

This is true. I wasn't the greatest resident due to drama in the social life. Lots of ups and downs. Home life is stable now and I'm a far better attending. Have to say though life was way more fun back then. Whatever they say about not enjoying your 20s due to medicine is not true. I think my midlife crisis will be moving to West LA.

Every time I think I want to move to LA, I take a trip there and get stuck in hours of traffic and it reminds me of why I don't live there

Every time I think I want to move to LA, I take a trip there and get stuck in hours of traffic and it reminds me of why I don't live there

I was just down there showing my son some campuses. LA is like one huge cement parking lot with buildings everywhere. Its kind of a weird place.

Thats really interesting because it's sat on my shelf unplayed for the past 3 years as well...fantastic game tho
Thought I was the only one. My wife and I used to play a fair amount in 2019, then we got the Pandemic Legacy boxing (which is incredible!) and tried to play basically as things took off in early 2020 and… turns out I’m fragile. Or, I’m strong as **** but I know what I don’t want to be doing, and that’s fighting pandemics in my spare time.

Hell I love zombie-things and took a solid 1.5yr off zombie-things when covid hit.

Though recently I’ve come back around to enjoying zombies, and have a new love for Kaiju movies… giant monsters battling humans? Humans perhaps DESERVE destruction? terrifying reminder that there are things out there simply too big for us to control? Etc etc…. we deserve Godzilla :)

Thought I was the only one. My wife and I used to play a fair amount in 2019, then we got the Pandemic Legacy boxing (which is incredible!) and tried to play basically as things took off in early 2020 and… turns out I’m fragile. Or, I’m strong as **** but I know what I don’t want to be doing, and that’s fighting pandemics in my spare time.

Hell I love zombie-things and took a solid 1.5yr off zombie-things when covid hit.

Though recently I’ve come back around to enjoying zombies, and have a new love for Kaiju movies… giant monsters battling humans? Humans perhaps DESERVE destruction? terrifying reminder that there are things out there simply too big for us to control? Etc etc…. we deserve Godzilla :)

Pacific Rim wasn't bad.

We were halfway through the first pandemic legacy and got the second to be able to continue as soon as we finished and just haven't touched either for three years too.

I was ready to restart a year or so ago but my husband wasn't so they still sit on the shelf. Love the Pandemic legacy format!

Pacific Rim wasn't bad.
Wasn't bad? Pacific rim is a g**d***ed cinematic masterpiece. If you're looking for something with the depth and nuance of The Godfather, you're looking at the wrong category of film. If you're looking for a melodrama about humanity desperately struggling to survive against waves of Kaiju by developing a program of giant warrior robots controlled by a neural link to their pilots, this movie is your jam. It hits all the right notes. Hope, despair, loss, triumph, noble sacrifice and redemption of character that you'd expect to see in this genre. All the while, the set budget for this film must have been astronomical given how often the cast is chewing the green screen to pieces. Is it predictable? Of course it is! That's the point. And if this premise sounds interesting, you can also predict that you'll d*** well have fun watching it.

• Love