Advice for future cardiologist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cardiodude

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've been reading and posting and reading and posting and now I'd like someone to give me the lowdown in a nutshell (you know what i mean). I'm an MD2 student and my target is to become a cardiologist. I'm not a citizen of the US but I'm attending a US-based med school in the Caribbean. I know it's more difficult for IMG's to get into card residencies. I would just like some advice on what i should choose as electives for my 4th year and what generally happens after finishing med school? I don't know about the whole matching and interview stuff, would like that to be explained to me. Basically i'd like some to give me the walkthrough from clinicals to becoming a cardiologist. Would appreciate it greatly! thank you

Members don't see this ad.

So I've been reading and posting and reading and posting and now I'd like someone to give me the lowdown in a nutshell (you know what i mean). I'm an MD2 student and my target is to become a cardiologist. I'm not a citizen of the US but I'm attending a US-based med school in the Caribbean. I know it's more difficult for IMG's to get into card residencies. I would just like some advice on what i should choose as electives for my 4th year and what generally happens after finishing med school? I don't know about the whole matching and interview stuff, would like that to be explained to me. Basically i'd like some to give me the walkthrough from clinicals to becoming a cardiologist. Would appreciate it greatly! thank you

Medical school --> internal medicine residency --> cardiology fellowship.

What you need to worry about right now is trying to match into the best internal medicine residency possible. This is something your medical school should be well prepared to advise you on.

Agree with KRichards advice. The stronger the IM residency program, the better your chances. Your Step 1 and 2 scores will help you get into a better IM residency program, but won't matter as much when it comes to fellowship matches. Also, try to rotate at large university programs when it comes to your clinical rotations.