Advice for future UT Austin PharmD students

Started by KEC5071
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

KEC5071

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all- I am just finishing up (taking a break from finals-studying) my P1 year. Before I got into UT I had no good sources of info about UT because I was an out-of-state applicant. I am a non-traditional student and I wish that I had taken Biochemistry, Anatomy and Physiology and if at all possible Physical Chemistry. Some of my friends had already taken those classes and did extremely well in them first semester. The workload is intense first year, so any extra help is worthwhile. Good luck and keep at it! Also, I was absolutely convinced that there was no way in the world I would ever get into Pharm School, but as it turns out, PCAT score was not everything (79 for me) and neither was GPA. Impress your interviewer and show that you are able to form and express coherent thoughts/arguments/beliefs, etc. Remember that you will be dealing with customers face to face all day, so you have to be an effective communicator. :luck:
 
Thanks for the words of advice. I really appreciate that.

I'd like to ask a question about UT Austin...

I'm taking classes at another University of Texas school, and it seems to me like they have lost the focus on academics. For example, it is almost impossible to find a quiet place on campus to study (the library is absolute chaos), the computer labs are noisy, they regularly have bands playing outside at loud volumes next to buildings where classes are being conducted or people are trying to work. It seems like the school is so busy trying to build their numbers that they are afraid to do anything that might cause a student to think they should go elsewhere (like expect them to act like adults).

My question is: Is this happening at UT Austin, or do they still have a focus on academics? Can you find a quiet place to study? Do they expect a little responsibility out of their students?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
txpharm2b -

I too just finished up my first semester of my P1 year at UT, and I never found it difficult to find a quiet place to study. The Pharmacy school building has an area devoted to pharmacy students only called the LRC, and it stays fairly quiet there. The LRC is kind of small, so if it is filled up you can always go to the Life Science Library in the Main building which has a room for pharmacy students only or you can go to the PCL library which stays fairly quiet (with exception during finals week. It got kind of noisy then.) Bottom line is the UT-Austin campus is huge, and it seems like you can always find a nice quiet place to study. As for the academic side of the school, overall, UT might still lean towards what you are seeing at your school. I went through UT as an undergraduate and got a Liberal Arts degree. It definitely seemed more like their focus was on cranking out degrees than focusing on the academics, but in the pharmacy school, being a small, professional school, and the nature of the degree they are responsible for awarding, I think the school is more focused on academics and supporting the profession.
 
Jitizow,

Thanks for the information. That is reassuring.


FixLittlePeople,

Not UTSA. It would be north of Austin.