Advice for gap year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GrkGrl85

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to decide between two programs to fill my gap year and I need advice as to which one would be looked upon more favorably by a med school admissions committee.

The first is Drexel's Interdepartmental Medical Science Program where I'd be taking a year of med school classes.

The second is Columbia University's Master of Science in Nutrition, which requires a thesis.

I am leaning towards Columbia because it combines my undergraduate psychology research with a medically related field.

Does anyone know anything about either of these programs or have advice as to which you think would be more impressive to a med school?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The IMS is similar to other programs like SMP (G-town) and what used to be the Applied Physiology program (RFUMS).

Can you provide your current stats, please (including BCMP and MCAT scores by section)? Which state are you from?

If you're on solid ground already, you may not benefit much from a program like this. They're super expensive and, depending on your situation, may not seal the gaps in your application anyways. If MCATs are your problem, the solution is obvious. If your GPA (esp BCMP) is low, taking undergrad Science courses at a local University might be a more effective route than one of these programs.

Remember, you're applying to Med School not even having started these programs (assuming you're starting these programs in 2008 and applying to start Med School in '09), so they won't have much impact. You can send in Fall grades, but it may not make that big a difference.

It's hard to say what's best without knowing your current situation.