Advice for getting off the waitlist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GP0618

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I was recently placed on the waitlist for my program of choice. I have an acceptance to another program, but for several reasons I would much rather go to the program I was waitlisted at. My question is, as the title states, how do I get off the waitlist? I know nearly half of the class at this particular program typically comes off the waitlist. I want to ensure I am one of them. What are noteworthy updates? Also should I send a letter of intent? All input is appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

i was wiatlisted at a few places i interviewed at. Noteworthy updates are good grades or publications. LOI rarely mean anything. As far as getting off the waitlist, nothing you can really do just be patient. If it gets closer to the end and you want to call and see whats up that might be ok but not so soon. If its any consolation you might have been a good candidate and they just dont have any spots currently so keep hopes up but to be honets nothing much you can really do now

i was wiatlisted at a few places i interviewed at. Noteworthy updates are good grades or publications. LOI rarely mean anything. As far as getting off the waitlist, nothing you can really do just be patient. If it gets closer to the end and you want to call and see whats up that might be ok but not so soon. If its any consolation you might have been a good candidate and they just dont have any spots currently so keep hopes up but to be honets nothing much you can really do now
Thank you. Would you say organizing a NICU donation drive could be an update? My daughter was born premature so my wife and I try to gather donations (diapers, bedding, and crocheted beanies) that we take in March to the NICU our daughter stayed at.

Members don't see this ad :)
Letters of Intent are viewed generally negatively. Update letters are generally viewed neutrally to favorably. I would try and send one of the latter. A NICU drive can be part of a letter, but make sure it fits into a larger narrative on why you want to go there for maximum effectiveness. For example, if you have strong ties to the area, all your child's doctors in the nearby system, and family members who want to help with the newborn, this could totally and organically reinforce your interest in the program. If you can combine it with good updates on your application, it could at least keep your name in mind when the line starts moving.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Hey all,

I was recently placed on the waitlist for my program of choice. I have an acceptance to another program, but for several reasons I would much rather go to the program I was waitlisted at. My question is, as the title states, how do I get off the waitlist? I know nearly half of the class at this particular program typically comes off the waitlist. I want to ensure I am one of them. What are noteworthy updates? Also should I send a letter of intent? All input is appreciated.

Thank you in advance!
Nothing you can do except be patient.

Reactions: 1 user