Advice for how to spend the summer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What should I do?

• Stay and work full time

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • Go home and travel

Votes: 17 70.8%

• Total voters

DentalGirl2016

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! Thanks for reading. I need some advice. I have received acceptance to dental school and will be starting in the fall. My question is it important to do something meaningful this summer? By that I mean either interning or working versus traveling, relaxing, maybe working a part-time job, etc.

I currently work at a dental office and am finishing up my last semester of undergrad (woohoo!) The office has been looking for my replacement, since I'm graduating in May. However, they've recently asked if I would consider staying for the summer and working full time (7:30am - 5:30pm M-F). The doctor I worked for said that she basically doesn't want to lose me yet and that she would give me a raise to stay. I had been looking forward to traveling and relaxing this summer, but she said that as long as I gave them enough notice, I could still travel or whatever (although probably not as frequently). She's been a great help to me during this process and I do like working there (I work as a dental assistant/office assistant when needed). The other thing to consider is that the dental school I'll be attending is located in the area. So basically, I could move right into the apartment I would live in for the school year.

So basically, I'm trying to decide if it's worth staying here for the summer and working or going home, getting a part-time job and basically just relaxing until school starts. The second option was so enticing to me because I haven't spent more than two weeks home since I started undergrad in 2013, so I was looking forward to the break. However, I still was planning to get a part-time job (so I'm not living off my savings), so I'll be working either way. It would just be way less stressful and I could spend some valuable time with my family. Any advice?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Work full-time, save up as much as possible, plan a super cool trip.

Towards the end of the summer, go on super cool trip, spend lots of money, come back, save the rest of money, start school.

Reactions: 1 users
The summer is yours alone. Do with it as you please. If I were in your situation, I'd probably continue working for the dentist for most of the summer. Maybe take 2 or 3 weeks off before school starts and travel. Best of both worlds!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
I dunno about working full time tbh. Like you said you haven't spent more than 2 weeks home since undergrad started. Imo time with friends and family is irreplaceable especially since the next 4 years you know you aren't gonna have much of it. I think me personally I'd go home. My personal plan is working part time, spending time with friends family and GF, training for my first powerlifting meet( something I've wanted to do ever since I started undergrad but never had the time to focus 100% for because of my focus on dental), and traveling just a bit.

50 hour work weeks for months before dental school doesn't sound super fun, but money is fun. I like the idea of going on a trip before school starts. If it were me, I would do that because you need to recharge before the hell of D1 starts. Perhaps you could work half the summer saving up for a trip, then spend some time at home before a fun trip. That way, they have time to find a replacement and you can still have fun.

Work like crazy, invest in the stock market, let it sit for four years, pay off school! hehe thats my plan.

Go home and have fun, because you will be slaving away in the dungeons for the next 10 years at least

Hello! Thanks for reading. I need some advice. I have received acceptance to dental school and will be starting in the fall. My question is it important to do something meaningful this summer? By that I mean either interning or working versus traveling, relaxing, maybe working a part-time job, etc.

I currently work at a dental office and am finishing up my last semester of undergrad (woohoo!) The office has been looking for my replacement, since I'm graduating in May. However, they've recently asked if I would consider staying for the summer and working full time (7:30am - 5:30pm M-F). The doctor I worked for said that she basically doesn't want to lose me yet and that she would give me a raise to stay. I had been looking forward to traveling and relaxing this summer, but she said that as long as I gave them enough notice, I could still travel or whatever (although probably not as frequently). She's been a great help to me during this process and I do like working there (I work as a dental assistant/office assistant when needed). The other thing to consider is that the dental school I'll be attending is located in the area. So basically, I could move right into the apartment I would live in for the school year.

So basically, I'm trying to decide if it's worth staying here for the summer and working or going home, getting a part-time job and basically just relaxing until school starts. The second option was so enticing to me because I haven't spent more than two weeks home since I started undergrad in 2013, so I was looking forward to the break. However, I still was planning to get a part-time job (so I'm not living off my savings), so I'll be working either way. It would just be way less stressful and I could spend some valuable time with my family. Any advice?

Thanks!

I stopped reading after you said dental school your attending: Party you ARSE off this summer, you wont have another chance again! GL

Hello! I think you need some rest, but if you really want to work, then you can go for a half-day

You will have plenty of time to work after you graduate! You will not have many more opportunities to travel as a young person, especially in dental school. Spend time with your family and friends, dental school will be tough and it's good to get your batteries recharged.