WAMC First time applicant- good GPA, low experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rororojc

Reaction score
Hi, I’m a first time applicant and I’ve been psyching myself out about getting in this cycle. I’m applying to a lot of schools to increase my chances: Cornell (in-state), Davis, Michigan, LSU, Georgia, UPenn, Tufts, Ohio, and Purdue. I’m a male looking to get into either wildlife medicine or conservation medicine. I don’t have a lot of vet experience, but I have many different types of experiences.

GPA: 3.86
Science GPA: 3.82

Vet experience:
320 hours total
first summer working as a shadow
Second summer as a kennel attendant

Animal Experience:
~800 hours
I worked with lizards for my research. I also volunteered at a horse farm and a wild bird sanctuary.

Research:
Sophomore year research project about queer Latin American cinema ~100 hours

Senior Thesis: The effects of temperature and direction-changing elements on the headbob display of brown anoles ~600 hours

Extracurriculars:
Track and cross country team all throughout high school and college. Team captain senior year of high school and junior and senior years of college >5000 hours

Ornithology club: I started this club by myself my junior year of college and was the president. It became very successful and we won money to implement bird friendly infrastructure on campus. We also became Audubon certified

RA (sort of): my college has a type of housing that is themed. Each theme has to host events every term. My theme was literature and I was in charge of the house for 2 years

Bee club: I helped take care of the bee hives my junior year of college

Work (non-animal)
Intern at a biophysics company. I learned aseptic techniques to culture monolayers of different cell types and keep them alive. Also helped troubleshoot programs

Recommendations:
1 vet
3 professors
1 coach

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I forgot to add my awards:
Deans list all four years
Outstanding scholarship in religious studies for an essay I wrote in a creationism class about how religion is an honest mating signal
Awards for my Ornithology Club
Accepted into Phi Beta Kappa- academic frat for excellence in character and academics at a liberal arts school
Accepted into Sigma Xi- the research academic fraternity
Scholars' Program (invitation only)

I think that you should put your lizard research under the research section instead of animal experience. You seem like a great applicant, if it doesn't work out you can always do file reviews and they'll most likely say it's because of low vet experience. I've heard of people with less experience than you getting in though, so I would go for it! If it doesn't work out, there's always next year.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with what others said above, lack of experience especially if it isn't diverse is probably the only "flaw" with your application. I think you stand a good chance of getting some interviews just make sure you prepare. schools are placing more and more emphasis on interviews.