advice for long distance marriage

Started by shala
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

shala

Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My husband and I were married last year, before that, we moved in togehter for three years. I moved to his place four years ago to be close to his gradute school. He moved again to another place from June after he graduated. I love him but because of this long distance, we both found problems existing between us. He is not in medicine field. And I am always busy in the floor and he felt negleted. I spent more time with my coworkers now...because of this, my husband and I fighted more over the phone. Thinking of my resident years coming and it's still not possible for me to locate myself around my husband--he stays in a small town and there is no residency training program...his job is very stable as a professor and can't relocate for me...I don't know what to do....feel so desperate.....I thought of divorce once...I came from a traditional family, and myself afraid of it too...everytime I think of future three years, I got depressed.. 🙁 Any one has the same problem?
 
I am not married myself, but if I were in this position, I'd try to look at it this way: In the grand scheme of things, 3 years is not that much time in the course of a whole lifetime. This man is going to be your partner for life, and isn't it worth a few sacrifices now for 40+ years of the kind of life you want later on down the road?
I am sure this is not easy, but try not to lose hope. Med school is about delayed gratification in so many ways.
 
My hubby and I are in the same situation. We both know what we want and am willing to be apart for 3 years to better both of our future. We both call each other every available time we have or we send sweet email messages, just to let each other know that we miss one another.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
my sister and her hubby are in the same position. she is in CA finishing her residency, and he is in St. Louis finishing his Ph.D. they agreed to live apart for the 3 yrs or until he finishes his degree. although it is tough at times, they do visit each other every 4 or 5 weeks, and 2 times a yr they take a vacation somewhere...so they can have just them time to relax...no work anything. try that, maybe that'll help.
 
1hotaartichoke said:
my sister and her hubby are in the same position. she is in CA finishing her residency, and he is in St. Louis finishing his Ph.D. they agreed to live apart for the 3 yrs or until he finishes his degree. although it is tough at times, they do visit each other every 4 or 5 weeks, and 2 times a yr they take a vacation somewhere...so they can have just them time to relax...no work anything. try that, maybe that'll help.


Things are getting better, really. After the interviews, I am confident that my favorate program will rank me in the top and it's abour 2 hours away from my home. Myhusband and I stayed together during the Chirstmas..and we had a car accident...luckily nobody hurt, only the car was damaged...while this accident helped us go through a lot of thing.. 🙂 just as your sister and her husband are, I believe there are a lot of other couples in my situation and things will work out if we try, isn't it? Thank you very much for your reply...