Advice for Masters/PhD admissions,how can I gain research experience? letters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wildcat82

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello,

i'm seeking admittance into an i/o masters program, but i do not prove very strong in most of the admittance criteria.

my overall gpa is 3.2; 3.4 psych

i have few letters and limited research experience.

i graduated in 2004 and spent the last 3 years working.

i wasn't ready for grad school right after college....... but i can appreciate it now and can accept the things i cant change (my gpa) and willing to do whatever it takes to prove myself.

i hope to boost my acceptance chances with a stellar gre score, and was wondering if it's possible to volunteer with local university faculty? to get a better letter, and gain research experience. Is this an option? I currently live 600 miles away from the university where i did my undergrad so its out of the question to do work with professors who might actually remember me. There are several excellent local universities here; but do non students just volunteer out of the blue like this? it seems rather odd, but doable.

what are your recommendations for working on research experience, and getting a better letter after graduation? it is a done deal after graduation, like a gpa? Or can i still express interest now that i'm no longer a student? I know it's only been 3 years but i feel like i've been out of the academic world for ages.

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.