PhD program for personality disorder research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lily_pad

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I’m considering applying for my PhD in clinical psychology and hope to pursue both clinical and research work in the area of personality pathology, particularly BPD and NPD. I’m wondering if anyone knows of any east coast programs that have faculty doing interesting research on personality disorders. Yes, I know limiting myself to one geographical region diminishes my chances…No, I’m really not willing to relocate at this time.

Members don't see this ad.

I would recommend looking at the faculty pages on the department websites for each program on the east coast and browsing their research articles to see which faculty mentor's work interests you. This should be quite easy and shouldn't take very long given the geographic limitation.

Reactions: 4 users
Personality disorders are among the most popular research topics in PhD programs. I can name several on the east coast off the top of my head, but I feel like we should at least hear about what effort you've put into finding schools. Also: not willing to relocate, but you mentioned the entire east coast, so...how does that track? Can you please elaborate?

Edit: Sorry, not trying to be blunt...but the phraseology of the post feels a little bit like you're just kind of expecting people to do your program search for you. There are multiple resources (the APA site has a list of accredited programs which you can filter and then explore program sites, and there's the Insider's Guide...) which would aid in your search. And if you have the requisite experience for PhD admissions, you should ideally already know some of the major players in the personality area and know where they are located.
Lol honestly you’re not blunt, just very rude. I’m honestly putting out feelers at the very beginning of my journey and wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts, certainly not expecting anyone to do my program search for me. “If you have the requisite experience you should ideally already know…” Keep your judgments to your self. This is supposed to be a forum where people share resources and support each other, no?

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol honestly you’re not blunt, just very rude. I’m honestly putting out feelers at the very beginning of my journey and wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts, certainly not expecting anyone to do my program search for me. “If you have the requisite experience you should ideally already know…” Keep your judgments to your self. This is supposed to be a forum where people share resources and support each other, no?
I'm sorry if you found my message rude. It wasn't my intent. I was not trying to imply a lack of requisite experience, but rather point to your experience as a good starting point for starting your search. I don't think you were intending to have folks do the work for you, just pointing out that it could be interpreted that way and many folks here would be more likely to respond if you were to provide a little bit more context about what you've done already so as to not inadvertently provide that impression. But I will delete the message and extend an olive branch by recommending you look into getting an updated copy of the Insider's Guide to Graduate Programs in Clinical and Counseling Psychology, and by recommending Aaron Pincus at Penn State as an NPD and general PDs scholar. Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 2 users
No. We are not your research assistants. We are working professionals and our time is very valuable. Please do your own research.

Mod Note: Just a reminder to "treat others with kindness and respect."

To the OP, as others have said, personality disorder research, even when narrowed down to "only" two personality disorders, is still a pretty broad area. Many prospective students initially start finding potential mentors by reading interesting journal articles, identifying the authors of said articles and where they work, and figuring out if they take students/participate in training. I suspect you'll probably find a few hub universities where some bigger name folks are located, and then smaller universities that are a bit more scattered around. PD research isn't my area, so I can't offer any specific recommendations there.

And not to belabor the point, but the geographic limitation is going to make graduate admissions and study even more difficult than would normally be the case (e.g., at the very least, most trainees will relocate for internship; many others will relocate again for postdoc and/or work). So that may mean you'll need to branch out in your clinical/research interests, since branching out geographically is not an option; this can be a tougher sell for interviews, so you'll of course want to plan ahead for that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
No. We are not your research assistants. We are working professionals and our time is very valuable. Please do your own research.
If your time is so valuable then why are you on a chat forum? I literally just said I don’t expect people to do the work for me.

Mod Note: Just a reminder to "treat others with kindness and respect."

To the OP, as others have said, personality disorder research, even when narrowed down to "only" two personality disorders, is still a pretty broad area. Many prospective students initially start finding potential mentors by reading interesting journal articles, identifying the authors of said articles and where they work, and figuring out if they take students/participate in training. I suspect you'll probably find a few hub universities where some bigger name folks are located, and then smaller universities that are a bit more scattered around. PD research isn't my area, so I can't offer any specific recommendations there.

And not to belabor the point, but the geographic limitation is going to make graduate admissions and study even more difficult than would normally be the case (e.g., at the very least, most trainees will relocate for internship; many others will relocate again for postdoc and/or work). So that may mean you'll need to branch out in your clinical/research interests, since branching out geographically is not an option; this can be a tougher sell for interviews, so you'll of course want to plan ahead for that.
Honestly, people are being so unnecessarily mean here I’m just probably going to delete this whole thread. Anyway, I found a similar post from 2014 and everyone seemed to just answer the question without being nasty.

. I’m wondering if anyone knows of any east coast programs that have faculty doing interesting research on personality disorders.
University of Detroit Mercy has professors doing personality disorder research. Its Michigan, but close enough.

Also pro tip: Look at the literature. Who is writing the articles on NPD? See what university they are affiliated with.

Reactions: 1 users
My advice is to look at who authored the research articles you find most interesting or relevant to your own interests.

It also depends on what aspect of personality disorders. Like, there's a big faculty member at Eastern Michigan (I think he's still there?) but he's more psychodynamic, from my understanding.

OP, it’s better to not be antagonistic toward people on this forum… some people will troll for whatever reason, but generally people here are helpful. Responding in an antagonistic fashion only “feeds the trolls,” per se. I get you’re just looking for info, and unfortunately a small percentage of people are not helpful.

I am not a content expert in this area but know some folks at U Kentucky doing transdiagnostic personality disorder work. IDK if Kentucky is not “east coast” enough for your liking. I otherwise agree with others that your best bet will be to look at programs on the East Coast (which you may have already done) and see if any faculty align with your interests. However, I will say if you only apply to programs in major metros on the East Coast, you will likely be competing with a lot of applicants. For some context, I went to a major PhD program in a major East Coast metro, and I am aware that this year alone the program received 1000+ applications for maybe 8-10 spots. I would offer to be prepared with a Plan B (e.g., an RA job if you aren’t in one now) if you really can only apply to East Coast places.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
My advice is to look at who authored the research articles you find most interesting or relevant to your own interests.

It also depends on what aspect of personality disorders. Like, there's a big faculty member at Eastern Michigan (I think he's still there?) but he's more psychodynamic, from my understanding.
Thanks, that's super helpful. I'm actually more interested in the psychodynamic side of things, particularly TFP which is a psychoanalytic manualized way of working with NPD and BPD. I'll look into Eastern Michigan.

OP, it’s better to not be antagonistic toward people on this forum… some people will troll for whatever reason, but generally people here are helpful. Responding in an antagonistic fashion only “feeds the trolls,” per se.

I am not a content expert in this area but know some folks at U Kentucky doing transdiagnostic personality disorder work. IDK if Kentucky is not “east coast” enough for your liking. I otherwise agree with others that your best bet will be to look at programs on the East Coast (which you may have already done) and see if any faculty align with your interests. However, I will say if you only apply to programs in major metros on the East Coast, you will likely be competing with a lot of applicants. For some context, I went to a major PhD program in a major East Coast metro, and I am aware that this year alone the program received 1000+ applications for maybe 8-10 spots. I would offer to be prepared with a Plan B (e.g., an RA job if you aren’t in one now) if you really can only apply to East Coast places.
Yeah, I just can't really accept that people who are established as they claim to be are spending their time trolling emerging professionals. I don't know why people on this forum act so entitled. Anyway, thank you for the suggestion--I'll look into Kentucky for sure. I absolutely know that limiting my geographical region makes things tougher on myself. I'm a licensed psychotherapist currently doing well working with PD populations in a clinical context but want to go back to school to bridge my clinical work with research.

Kentucky is a good option for sure, Ruth Baer at least used to be there and she does a lot with BPD. There are many BPD researchers, too many to name but two that come to mind off of the top of my head are Shireen Rizvi at Rutgers and Alex Chapman at Simon Fraser.

I should warn you that BPD is, as my DCT used to say, a "sexy" research topic so it's gonna be pretty competitive. I applied to work with a lot of BPD researchers and only got three interviews, and I had decent research experience (although no pubs). When I was accepted, it was not at a program with someone who specialized in BPD, but had a side interest in personality disorders.

Kentucky is a good option for sure, Ruth Baer at least used to be there and she does a lot with BPD. There are many BPD researchers, too many to name but two that come to mind off of the top of my head are Shireen Rizvi at Rutgers and Alex Chapman at Simon Fraser.

I should warn you that BPD is what my DCT used to call a "sexy" research topic so it's gonna be pretty competitive. I applied to work with a lot of BPD researchers and only got three interviews, and I had decent research experience (although no pubs)
Ha yeah PDs are definitely a sexy research topic. Wonder what would be considered a specifically unsexy research topic.

Ha yeah PDs are definitely a sexy research topic. Wonder what would be considered a specifically unsexy research topic.

BPD especially is "sexy" even for the PDs. If you're interested in BPD, a lot of people doing work in that area or who have mentored people doing top of the line BPD research are also in suicide and non-suicidal self-injury research (e.g., Thomas Joiner and Matthew Nock), so you could expand to that in your search.

I should warn you that BPD is, as my DCT used to say, a "sexy" research topic so it's gonna be pretty competitive.
OT: That's so interesting, any idea why this area is such a draw?

Most clinicians (obviously excepting those brave souls who choose to make DBT their focus) seem to run the other way from this difficult patient population so it's interesting that researchers are running *towards* them.

Most clinicians (obviously excepting those brave souls who choose to make DBT their focus) seem to run the other way from this difficult patient population so it's interesting that researchers are running *towards* them.
Because they usually don’t have to do the difficult work of being in the room with them. I’m a clinician that really enjoys working this population. I do so largely from an object relations framework and it works very well.

• Love
Yup, that's him! Thanks for the FYI. I'm full-time clinical now so I'm less steeped in the academic world.
How do you like being full time clinical? I’m also a full time psychotherapist and have been thinking about doing more research hence the interest in the PhD.

Because they usually don’t have to do the difficult work of being in the room with them. I’m a clinician that really enjoys working this population. I do so largely from an object relations framework and it works very well.

I wouldn't say that. Most people who specialize in BPD research also specialize in BPD treatment.

Full-time clinical is okay, I miss some parts of academia and more research involvement, but I've been able to make my current position fit my interests more. I have some admin and training involvement that I enjoy. It's also my specific clinical niche that I love, so that helps.

Dr. Steven Huprich?
Yes. He is an University of Detroit Mercy currently.

I did research with him more geared toward therapeutic assessment and health psychology. He served on my dissertation committee. Happy to answer any questions you have about UDM or Dr. Huprich. He is really passionate about his research and clinical work re: personality disorders.
UDM is a psychodynamic program which can be a drawback though if you're not into that.

YESSS!! Winnicott is my BOI

I'm an RA in a suicide and BPD lab. I'm the person who is "running away", even during research there's a lot more hurdles and recruitment is HARD.

Don't regret my RA years focusing on this in the slightest, I imagine it will be easier once I transition into my PhD this fall and am researching a population that is a few levels in acuity below what I've been doing. Well, that's what I tell myself along with some spiel about how it built up interpersonal skills (running Columbia's on people actively suicidal certainly helped there.)

If your time is so valuable then why are you on a chat forum? I literally just said I don’t expect people to do the work for me.
This is not a chat forum. It is my choice to be here when I want to. It is also my choice to decline to help you do things that I believe you can and should do by yourself.

Reactions: 3 users
This is not a chat forum. It is my choice to be here when I want to. It is also my choice to decline to help you do things that I believe you can and should do by yourself.
I'm still very confused by the arbitrary need to stay east coast while considering both Michigan and Kentucky.

Might have helped us to know why OP is limiting themselves geographically and what they actually define as the east coast because as far as I'm concerned they just said they'd look into the Midwest and south.

Last edited:
I'm still very confused by the arbitrary need to stay east coast while considering both Michigan and Kentucky.

Might have helped us to know why OP is limiting themselves geographically and what they actually define as the east coast because as far as I'm concerned they just said they'd look into the Midwest and south.
I am speculating that this has to do with a desire to locate in Red states. I may be wrong and I hope I am.

I am speculating that this has to do with a desire to locate in Red states. I may be wrong and I hope I am.
If this was the case you'd think they'd be very open to the rest of the midwest. Michigan itself is a purple state, it's far from firmly red.

I say this as someone who will, almost certainly, be moving to a firmly red midwest state for grad school. But that's happenstance more than anything else.

The consideration of MI and KY had to do with recommendations of programs after the desire expressed to stay on the East Coast. MI a blueish-purple state, and most of the eastern seaboard being firmly blue seems to make that theory unlikely, otherwise I imagine they would have said that they are limited to the Carolinas.

The consideration of MI and KY had to do with recommendations of programs after the desire expressed to stay on the East Coast. MI a blueish-purple state, and most of the eastern seaboard being firmly blue seems to make that theory unlikely, otherwise I imagine they would have said that they are limited to the Carolinas.
I mean really. If this is family in Maine, the only difference between going to school in Detroit vs Iowa City is about 30 minutes at cruise altitude. I really am having trouble wrapping my head around this.

I would look at Rutgers - Selby and Kleiman may fit your interests. Not east coast - but Mississippi State has a few faculty members who look at personality and suicidality as well. The psych dept there has quite high research productivity, so if research is a strong focus for you, it may be worth a look.

I would also add, being kind on this forum has been a great benefit to me. I have had professionals reach out to me through PMs to assist in my grad school and internship search throughout the years, which was incredibly kind and helpful. If I had been reactive to the more blunt responses, I do not think the helpful folks would have reached out.

Hi all, I’m considering applying for my PhD in clinical psychology and hope to pursue both clinical and research work in the area of personality pathology, particularly BPD and NPD. I’m wondering if anyone knows of any east coast programs that have faculty doing interesting research on personality disorders. Yes, I know limiting myself to one geographical region diminishes my chances…No, I’m really not willing to relocate at this time.
You want to look into Ken Levy and other Personality D. researchers at Penn State who are involved in PD research and TFP. Look into funded/partially funded dynamic programs in NY/NJ (LIU Brooklyn, City College, Rutgers PsyD)--some professors there had connections with TFP , Kernberg, and co. Also research all funded/partially funded programs in the Boston Area because there might be researchers affiliated with Gunderson Personality Disorders Institute/Mclean H.

You want to look into Ken Levy and other Personality D. researchers at Penn State who are involved in PD research and TFP. Look into funded/partially funded dynamic programs in NY/NJ (LIU Brooklyn, City College, Rutgers PsyD)--some professors there had connections with TFP , Kernberg, and co. Also research all funded/partially funded programs in the Boston Area because there might be researchers affiliated with Gunderson Personality Disorders Institute/Mclean H.

Good call on Levy at Penn State. The critical mass of TFP is within Columbia-Cornell. Look into the names Diamond, Clarkin, Yeomans, and Caligor. They are carrying Kernberg’s torch.

Agree with Rutgers - Shireen Rizvi is the top person who comes to mind, even more than Eddie Selby or Evan Kleiman. Katie Dixon-Gordon at UMass Amherst. Any other faculty I can think of are in the south (UGA, Kentucky) or the midwest (Purdue, UMich).

TFP is probably not researched in very many places. I learned quite a bit about it during my doctoral program because I had some professors that were very psychodynamic. A lot of what they were researching was the neurobiology of human relationships and development so not directly researching the treatment. Good luck in your search.