Advice for medical career moving forward

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

engeneon

Reaction score
Hi! I am a student who used to go to a t10 undergrad, but my family went through some personal and financial issues that led a decline in my grades (put on academic probation) and eventually flunk my last semester (1st semester of junior year), so my final gpa for undergrad as of now is a 2.16. I am now academically dismissed from school (with the option to appeal). It has been about 1.5 years since being dismissed. I am still very much interested in going to medical school. My family is however financially unable to pay for a prestigious education and my parents are against me going to community college to make up for my terrible grades and try to go back to school. They also refuse to let me get any loans for undergraduate education..
I have two questions regarding my situation.
1. In general, what are my options moving forward?
2. I found a university called Thomas Edison State University and found that I could transfer some of my credits and earn some testing credits and get a undergrad degree in about 1-1.5 years at a somewhat affordable price that I could handle behind my parents back.. After getting an undergrad degree, I would most likely try get into a post-bacc program (which I would go into personal debt for since its no longer ”undergrad”) and move forward from there. Has anyone heard of this school or gone through a similar route that could offer advice?

Members don't see this ad.

You're at least 23 right? You don't need your parents permission to pursue your own financial path from here on out, unless you're their caretaker. Get a job, move out, pay your own rent and utilities and begin going to school. This would be the makings of a great comeback story. Continue to live in your parents shadow and you will have a tough time getting to where you want to be.

Reactions: 1 user
Please see Goro’s guide for more in depth information but for now I would do the following:
1. Volunteer in a clinical setting and shadow physicians (look for primary care opportunities as that is where most of us will end up). You really need to make sure this is right for you before jumping into 10+ years of school and training.
2. Find a local inexpensive university to enroll in. Transfer your credits but plan on spending several semesters taking classes to complete the prerequisite courses and rehab your GPA. You do not need to earn your degree in the standard 4 year timeline so putting it off will allow you to take classes and access federal loans.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I am a student who used to go to a t10 undergrad, but my family went through some personal and financial issues that led a decline in my grades (put on academic probation) and eventually flunk my last semester (1st semester of junior year), so my final gpa for undergrad as of now is a 2.16. I am now academically dismissed from school (with the option to appeal). It has been about 1.5 years since being dismissed. I am still very much interested in going to medical school. My family is however financially unable to pay for a prestigious education and my parents are against me going to community college to make up for my terrible grades and try to go back to school. They also refuse to let me get any loans for undergraduate education..
I have two questions regarding my situation.
1. In general, what are my options moving forward?
2. I found a university called Thomas Edison State University and found that I could transfer some of my credits and earn some testing credits and get a undergrad degree in about 1-1.5 years at a somewhat affordable price that I could handle behind my parents back.. After getting an undergrad degree, I would most likely try get into a post-bacc program (which I would go into personal debt for since its no longer ”undergrad”) and move forward from there. Has anyone heard of this school or gone through a similar route that could offer advice?

your plan sounds ok. are you from an immigrant family? the amount of control your parents have over you is very weird

You are an adult. You're old enough to vote, Drive, drink, work and pay taxes, run for political office, and fight and die for your country.

Thus, you are old enough to not have your parents dictate what you do with your life.

Going to a community college to start getting back on track is a perfectly okay path.

If they know your plan, are they going to refuse to let you get loans in medical school as well?

Your one option (if you haven't done it already) is to explain to them in depth what is required of the pathway to being a doctor, including how your pathway has to be different due to your current record.

If they don't get it or won't let you follow what you know is best after you explain it to them, then your best option is to follow the advice you're been given by others in this thread.