Advice for MS 0?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sarahjay

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I will be starting medical school this fall at The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio. I'm very interested in psychiatry as a specialty and am wondering if anyone can offer any advice to get a good start in this. I would prefer residency programs in Texas because my of family and personal reasons, so if anyone knows much about the programs in Texas, please feel free to state your opinions!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Have a life before you start. It might not be possible during medschool.

Going through your 20s having dated no one for about 5-10 years isn't exactly mentally healthy IMHO, though it appeared to be the norm in my med school.

Which is why I took some time off.

But that's not what I said when I was asked in my interviews for residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your first step as Padawan learner will be to memorize, from page 1 to the end of the index, the Harrison's Guide to Internal Medicine, with special focus on the differential and decision trees near the front of the book. We must start from the basics.

Begin.

I think that an important thing that you can do as an MS0 is contact potential mentors in psychiatry. Before arriving at school, email faculty who have interests similar to yours and see if they would meet with you to chat. It's a great way to get early clinical experience or to get introduced to a research mentor.

And, despite 4 years of medical school, I have not memorized Harrison's yet. :eek:

I don't think you'll end up in psych. You're too much of a gunner! :cool: