advice for newcomer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gu1982

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hoping you all could overlook one more 'what are my chances' thread. I'm a bit nervous about my stats. I graduated a year ago from Georgetown in Econ/Comp Sci, have a 3.64 GPA (3.54 science) and 33 on the MCAT. Been doing clinical/translational research at the NIH for year. In terms of other activities, I've been volunteering at a free clinic for a long while, and have done a fair amount of other community service, including ESL teaching abroad for a semester. I working 15 hrs per week during school doing computer programming. I'm not looking to get into Ivy Leagues, but how might I fare at places like UMass (I'm an MA resident), Tufts, BU, NYMC, GW etc? Thanks for any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

i'm no expert, but those stats sound pretty good.

have you checked out www.studentdoc.com? they have a med school calculator tool where you can input your mcat scores, gpa, etc. and see if you're very competitive, competitive, or less competitive at various med schools

your EC's sound good, and your mcat is definitely strong. your gpa is not stellar, but not too subpar either. i think you should be fine! GW might be easier than BU or NYMC, but you're still pretty strong.

You have a great chance. Now stop obsessing :) But it's okay, I do the same too! :)