Advice for Non-Traditional Student Please!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pjasminemd

Reaction score
Hello,

Looking for all the advice I can get. I am down to my last hope. I really want to go to medical school and I did decide this at my last quarter at UCSD (C/O 2020). I transferred from a CC to UCSD and I majored in Public Health. Initially I was going to do nursingand my original plan after getting my B.S. was to apply to a MENP. But I decided to switch gears. I took most of the core science courses at my CC, and took very few at UCSD.

Here is the list of classes taken if needed: microbio (C), gen chem series (C), ochem series (B,B), anatomy (B), physio (B), genetics (C-), calc 1(B-,B) and 2, cell and molec bio (C), Phy (A)

Due to personal reasons my SGPA is not very high. It is at a 3.0, while my entire undergraduate CGPA at UCSD is 3.24 and CC is 3.30. I know my GPA isn't the greatest, and that why I wanted to do a post-bacc program. I applied to the UC Consortium and CDU post-bacc program. I was unable to get into the UCs, but was WL for CDU and did not get admission. With that being said, I am stuck on what to do now. I am a non-trad student. Should I keep applying to the post-bacc program or apply to a SMP? or should i take my MCAT and score high then apply to med school? Another option I was thinking about was applying to Northwestern or Dominican U Post-Bacc program since deadline is August for Fall admission and I do plan on living in Chicago. However, I barely have any information on these programs.

Please help me out guys, any information is good information. Lets help each other. TY!!!

Members don't see this ad.

With those grades and GPA, even with a high MCAT you'd be looking at primarily DO schools. Even with DO, a 3.0 sGPA is a big ask, not impossible but also not a breeze. A DIY post-bacc with high level science courses and redoing those C grades will help you out. Not much to talk about without an MCAT score though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Honestly, I kind of want to know your whole story. What got you interested in medicine? Why the change in plan? Do you have any clinical or volunteering experience that changed your mind? Members can give their opinions strictly from a stats standpoint but that's only a portion of the game.

I would say this - if you were to go the "score a high MCAT and apply" you're going to have to score exceptionally high (think >520 at least) and have some exceptional EC's before applying. Otherwise, probably best to do an SMP where you can show you can handle the rigor of med school curriculum since you've already taken you pre-req's and not done exceptionally well. I apologize if this last point comes off as rude, but just being honest.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Are the personal reasons that caused you to do poorly resolved? Do you think you have developed better studying habits and other techniques to do well in science coursework going forward?

It seems like you struggled both with science classes at community college as well as coursework at UCSD. That spans a few years, so that is why I am asking.

You can do a post-bacc. Do not try to take the MCAT and apply.

Reactions: 2 users
With a low sGPA you most likely have gaps in your scientific knowledge so taking the MCAT without some kind of reinvention wouldn’t be wise. Your GPAs are low for MD and pretty low for DO. You probably need a DIY post bacc. After you move to Chicago check out Loyola’s SMP and Rosalind Franklin’s program. I think UIC has a program of some sort too. Don’t jump on only NU. You have several options available. But you are going to have to research them.
Part of your problem is that you took most of your prereqs at a CC and didn’t do particularly well. Now you have to string together a few semesters of upper division science course achieving as many As as possible. This might convince ADCOMS that you are up to the rigors of medical,school.

Reactions: 1 users
Honestly, I kind of want to know your whole story. What got you interested in medicine? Why the change in plan? Do you have any clinical or volunteering experience that changed your mind? Members can give their opinions strictly from a stats standpoint but that's only a portion of the game.

I would say this - if you were to go the "score a high MCAT and apply" you're going to have to score exceptionally high (think >520 at least) and have some exceptional EC's before applying. Otherwise, probably best to do an SMP where you can show you can handle the rigor of med school curriculum since you've already taken you pre-req's and not done exceptionally well. I apologize if this last point comes off as rude, but just being honest.
Initially I started volunteering at a hospital during my first year at CC and realized I wanted to be in the healthcare field. I did not think I was cable of being a doctor, and so I decided to pursue nursing. My first year of CC I got all As. The second half going into science courses was when things got rocky. It was my first time taking most of the upper division courses at CC and I also had personal issues going on in my life. When I got into UCSD, during my last 2 quarters I decided I wanted to be a doctor instead because I knew I was capable of doing it, and I see myself as a leader. Throughout my life I honestly had always been a leader, problem solving, speaking up, and making sure everyone works together. And because of these qualities I decided I wanted to take on these qualities in the path as a Doctor not Nursing. I didn't let my current grades define me as a person or my academic performance. Life happens and unfortunately for me, everything was wrong timing. I do know that this is a marathon and not a sprint and that is why I haven't given up yet.

Here are my EC: volunteer at hospital 100 hours, shadowed in a OR in urology department, mentor for high schoolers, pre-health club, research intern, and worked at 2 doctor offices as a MA.

Another thing I'd like to mention also is the timing. When I decided I wanted to pursue a career in medicine in 2020 (near graduating) COVID was also an issue. I wanted to get more research and volunteer experience but that has been difficult due to the circumstances given.

In addition, a little bit of background about me is that I grew up low-income, disadvantaged background, lots of set-backs which didn't allow me the privilege to focus on my career, or myself. So that is another reason why I am considered to be a little late to the game. I appreciate your response and taking the time getting back to me! I did not find your comment rude at all :)) don't be afraid to say as you speak! It is super helpful!

With a low sGPA you most likely have gaps in your scientific knowledge so taking the MCAT without some kind of reinvention wouldn’t be wise. Your GPAs are low for MD and pretty low for DO. You probably need a DIY post bacc. After you move to Chicago check out Loyola’s SMP and Rosalind Franklin’s program. I think UIC has a program of some sort too. Don’t jump on only NU. You have several options available. But you are going to have to research them.
Part of your problem is that you took most of your prereqs at a CC and didn’t do particularly well. Now you have to string together a few semesters of upper division science course achieving as many As as possible. This might convince ADCOMS that you are up to the rigors of medical,school.
I do agree that I should apply to another SMP program or do DIY. I have seen the other programs. However Loyola and Rosalind curriculum does not enhance my academic records, it offers a Masters in a different science and shows I can handle the rigorousness but my grades still need fixing. Right? Another thing I am afraid of is my pre-reqs being expired by the time I apply to med school. Thats why I am leaning towards NU because the curriculum is specialized towards each individual and what the student needs. So if I need to revisit certain courses I would rather do that in this program bc it also shows I am able to handle the rigorousness while revisiting the courses I didn't do well in. Thats where my thought process is. If I apply to NU now I would be admitted this fall as well which is a bonus because of time.

Are the personal reasons that caused you to do poorly resolved? Do you think you have developed better studying habits and other techniques to do well in science coursework going forward?

It seems like you struggled both with science classes at community college as well as coursework at UCSD. That spans a few years, so that is why I am asking.

You can do a post-bacc. Do not try to take the MCAT and apply.
I believe everything that had happened before, was out of my control, and I was placed in a situation where I had to be there. So I wouldn't say it was poorly resolved. It was something I couldn't avoid. I am in a better place now and do believe my studying techniques have improved. I agree that taking the MCAT and applying is out of the question. Thanks for your response!

I believe everything that had happened before, was out of my control, and I was placed in a situation where I had to be there. So I wouldn't say it was poorly resolved. It was something I couldn't avoid. I am in a better place now and do believe my studying techniques have improved. I agree that taking the MCAT and applying is out of the question. Thanks for your response!
It may have been confusing with my original wording but I meant were the circumstances that caused you to do poorly in your classes now resolved (ie hypothetically you had to take care of a family member and now you can fully focus on school work).

The programs candbgirl referred to are SMP or Special Master’s programs. They are done at the medical school and have you take essentially the same foundational courses as first year med students. You must do well, 3.6+, to show you are a good candidate for admissions. We recommend reading into each one to see how the environment is and whether a lot of students do well and go on to med school.

You can do post-bacc programs too or a DIY post-bacc to take upper division college science classes like biochem 2, immunology at your own pace. See the wise Goro’s guide for more detailed information:

• Love
you need to step back and breathe, first. then, honestly, assess yourself and your life and your choices. don't just "oh yeah it's fine now", be honest with yourself, you don't have to tell us.

what do your trends look like? did you tank it the first year and then do well? just straight 3.0? have you done a practice MCAT at all? what do the rest of your ECs look like?

• Love