Advice for Ob/Gyn Away Rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mumd2011

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I am a little more than a week out from my first away elective in Ob/Gyn. I am doing a Labor & Delivery elective (I was applying during my surgery rotation and that's what was left).

What kinds of things should I read up on and brush up on? My school is relatively non-malignant and really not so big on "pimping." Well, at least not on Ob/Gyn. So, I am kind of worried about the kinds of things that could be thrown at me.

Also, what is the best way to help the residents? I have heard that this is one of the biggest things that can make or break you on these rotations. I just worry about my helping being perceived as annoying or really creating more work for the residents.

I know these questions might seem silly but it has been months since my required OB rotation and I know that my home program may not have been an accurate representation of other programs (another factor here was that many of the residents were also my friends outside of the hospital setting).

I would really appreciate any input at all. I just want to be as helpful as possible without getting in anyone's way and I don't want to look like a total bonehead. Thanks in advance!

(Side note-I did well on my rotations during third year, I am just overwhelming nervous about being "the new kid")

Members don't see this ad.