Advice for planning MCAT study schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fortheforgotten

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all! I am a current second semester sophomore double majoring in bio and ACS biochem though I often wish I had taken a more liberal arts approach to my undergrad studies (so it goes:))... As I am very interested in joint MD PhD programs, I realize my MCAT score must be higher than the competitive MD score for acceptance...

I have a bit of a tendency to over-plan/over-prepare/study way too far in advance; however, the strategy seemed to work particularly well for the ACT/AP exams. Is it safe to assume that this is the best way to approach the MCAT as well? I am planning on beginning studying at the end of this month with the goal of taking the exam within the next 1-1.5 years depending on whether or not I choose to take a gap year.

As a nota bene, standardized tests are not my strong suit and as a double STEM major my course load each semester will be increasing to upwards of 19+ hours not including research, extracurriculars, and a medical situation that unfortunately requires an abnormal amount of rest each night:sleep:. I currently have access to friends' EK and PR study aids but am open to more suggestions as well. With all these factors in mind, does anyone have any suggestions concerning how I should begin to plan my MCAT study schedule?

Thanks so much for your time, input, and advice!!:)

Members don't see this ad.