Advice for pre-DO student!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tweaked17

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all!

Excited to finally be a member of these forums and get some advice from those who are further along than I.

I would like to apologize in advance if this is basically mirrors everyone's first post here - sorry ;). I bolded the important points for those who don't want to read my life story :D

I have a few questions, but first a little information about me:

I WANT to be a DO!

I WILL go into physical therapy, if I can't cut it in medicine.

I LOVE helping people, and learning about the human body, nutrition, exercise and all things Biology - but I hate math!

I'm a sophomore at SUNY Stony Brook, but credit-wise I'm a junior. I currently have a 3.7 GPA, which should be going up (I hope)! My GPA in science courses is (an estimated) 3.79. I think those are pretty "alright" since just about everyone at Stony Brook is pre-med/pre-health :laugh:

Anatomy is my passion, and I hope to be a T.A. for ANP 300 (our anatomy course) after this semester (I haven't technically finished it yet, but I have a 96 and a 98.5 on the midterms, and an A in lab).

Now, I have not taken Orgo yet, and I'm beginning physics next semester - rumoured to be one of the hardest classes in the pre-med curriculum around here, but I had a pretty good grasp of physics in high school, so I'm more worried about orgo. I'm not a big fan of chemistry (it falls between bio and math, though).

Since I'm basically "behind" everyone else who came into college knowing they would be pre-med, (I guess I'm only a semester behind, but still) - what should my preparation timeline look like? I'm sorry for asking a question like this, but I'm a bit overwhelmed by what I'm getting myself into.

Also, this is less of a question, but I'd like anyone who has any advice to offer to share it here - don't hold anything back, I need it all. It's funny, I go to school with thousands of pre-meds, but strangely I feel like I'm in my own boat because I'm not like the rest of them, and they pretty much make me feel like a ******* since I'm behind - save my roommates. I don't get much help/advice - so don't fear you're wasting your time explaining the littlest details!

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Oh bless your heart. Honey, you are fine doing exactly what you are doing now. Use the search function for these threads and you'll find an answer to any question you can ever hope to ask. You are very correct in being concerned about Physics and Organic. They kick a lot of ppl's behinds. So stay on top of it and get plenty of help EARLY on if you see yourself struggling. Being a TA will be good. You'll also want to shadow a Dr. Long term would be nice (i.e. once a week for a couple of months or more; or more times a week if you wish). Any kind of research you can do would be good, but dont stress about that too much. I didnt do any research until I got into Grad School and it was psych research at that. And last but not least, be involved in something. Try to hold leadership positions to show them that you are a ppl person and take an active role in your community (ie college community and/or the city the college is in).

You've just started a very long road. But you're still early enough that you shouldn't be stressing about it now. Just do well in the classes that you have (with some of the other suggestions above) and you will be well preparing yourself. Good luck. PM me if you need help, but the search function really is a goldmine. :thumbup:

Hey all!

Excited to finally be a member of these forums and get some advice from those who are further along than I.

I would like to apologize in advance if this is basically mirrors everyone's first post here - sorry ;). I bolded the important points for those who don't want to read my life story :D

I WANT to be a DO!

I LOVE helping people, and learning about the human body, nutrition, exercise and all things Biology - but I hate math!

I'm a sophomore at SUNY Stony Brook, but credit-wise I'm a junior. I currently have a 3.7 GPA, which should be going up (I hope)! My GPA in science courses is (an estimated) 3.79. I think those are pretty "alright" since just about everyone at Stony Brook is pre-med/pre-health :laugh:

Anatomy is my passion, and I hope to be a T.A. for ANP 300 (our anatomy course) after this semester (I haven't technically finished it yet, but I have a 96 and a 98.5 on the midterms, and an A in lab).

Now, I have not taken Orgo yet, and I'm beginning physics next semester - rumoured to be one of the hardest classes in the pre-med curriculum around here, but I had a pretty good grasp of physics in high school, so I'm more worried about orgo. I'm not a big fan of chemistry (it falls between bio and math, though).

Since I'm basically "behind" everyone else who came into college knowing they would be pre-med, (I guess I'm only a semester behind, but still) - what should my preparation timeline look like? I'm sorry for asking a question like this, but I'm a bit overwhelmed by what I'm getting myself into.

Also, this is less of a question, but I'd like anyone who has any advice to offer to share it here - don't hold anything back, I need it all. It's funny, I go to school with thousands of pre-meds, but strangely I feel like I'm in my own boat because I'm not like the rest of them, and they pretty much make me feel like a ******* since I'm behind - save my roommates. I don't get much help/advice - so don't fear you're wasting your time explaining the littlest details!

Thanks in advance!

You're not behind. One of the biggest mistakes I made was feeling rushed. The only place rushing got me was two years later than I planned in matriculation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys!

Sorry I didn't see the responses right away, I thought I was subscribed to the thread (d'oh!).

Anyway, yes I think being a TA in a relevant course like anatomy will help me stay on top of things and remember them (since I'm taking anatomy so early in my career) as well as show what kind of person I am (I love to teach people).

I am in the process of applying to a summer internship program at my local hospital - it is essentially 4 weeks of physician shadowing and lectures. I really hope I'm accepted!

After that, I would like to volunteer my time in the summer/winter. It's hard because I need to work. I work for a gym and a catering company; I just recently got certified for personal training, and I have somewhat of a management position at my catering job (e.g. I lead/manage teams on off-site jobs, and am allowed to provide customer service w/o a manager present). I am hoping that kind of work experience will work to my advantage on a resume/application. I guess I'll have to just put a little time aside for volunteering at the hospital.

How responsive are physicians when you ask them to shadow? Is it better to shadow a hospital physician as opposed to a primary care practitioner? I would like to ask my primary care doctor, because he's a DO and I really like the way he approaches his work. Do you just... ask? lol

Thanks for the warm welcome guys! These boards are a little intimidating because it just seems like so many people know all about the application/preparation process and I don't know a damn thing yet.. :scared:

I'm off to bed, early classes tomorrow :)

Thanks guys!

Sorry I didn't see the responses right away, I thought I was subscribed to the thread (d'oh!).

Anyway, yes I think being a TA in a relevant course like anatomy will help me stay on top of things and remember them (since I'm taking anatomy so early in my career) as well as show what kind of person I am (I love to teach people).

I am in the process of applying to a summer internship program at my local hospital - it is essentially 4 weeks of physician shadowing and lectures. I really hope I'm accepted!

After that, I would like to volunteer my time in the summer/winter. It's hard because I need to work. I work for a gym and a catering company; I just recently got certified for personal training, and I have somewhat of a management position at my catering job (e.g. I lead/manage teams on off-site jobs, and am allowed to provide customer service w/o a manager present). I am hoping that kind of work experience will work to my advantage on a resume/application. I guess I'll have to just put a little time aside for volunteering at the hospital.

How responsive are physicians when you ask them to shadow? Is it better to shadow a hospital physician as opposed to a primary care practitioner? I would like to ask my primary care doctor, because he's a DO and I really like the way he approaches his work. Do you just... ask? lol

Thanks for the warm welcome guys! These boards are a little intimidating because it just seems like so many people know all about the application/preparation process and I don't know a damn thing yet.. :scared:

I'm off to bed, early classes tomorrow :)

Well, I should be off to bed but sadly enough Im going to post on your very newly started thread twice in one night, lol. Get ready for a lot of rambling...

The summer intership thing will be good! This will be a great experience for you and an invaluable addition to your resume.

Your jobs will help you. You have leadership qualities and you are balancing work and school.

As far as Dr. responsivness to shadowing requests, it varies. I've heard of some ppl who cant find a Dr willing to let them shadow. But Ive never had any probs at all. I've actually used 3 methods depending on the situation. If you are referred to a particular Dr through the grapevine, a mature call to their office might suffice (ask the receptionist/secretary to relay that you are interested and ask what times/days would be best for him/her). If you have his/her email, an nice business like email of interest might be nice. This way they have time to respond to you on their own time. But you can always go the never-fail route and send a letter. I think it might only matter what *kind* of Dr you shadow if you already have an idea of what your interested in. I never shadowed a hospital Dr (i volunteered, but thats different). But thats b/c I knew i wanted to go into primary care. If you want to pump up how your just dead set on surgery, but have only shadowed GPs, that might make them wonder, lol.

And last but not least, dont be intimidated! We were all in your boat not very long ago. Heck, most of the pre-meds are still in the position of having to annoy 3rd/4th yrs with tedious Qs, lol. you do know a d@mn thing, b.c you're already doing most things right; you just needed validation. :D

Why don't you try to become a technician in a hospital. Then you get paid for shadowing doctors! :D

You are on the right track. As long as you take your courses needed while you are an undergrad that is all the medical schools care about. You could even take them after you graduate *if you were a non-science major*

Your list of activities WILL help you and the more experience you have in different clubs/activities even though non-medically related also do show leadership as other posters have mentioned.

Keep up your GPA and get at least a 24 on the MCAT and you are solid for any DO school in the country! :luck:

Yes_I_DO said:
you just needed validation.

Isn't that the story of this life? lol

Thanks guys, let me respond:

I know I want to go into primary care, so I will go after some GP DOs if I can find em locally. I will start with my own primary care doctor..

The hardest part (aside from getting a 24+ on the MCATs and keeping my GPA up, of course!) will be getting into activities. I was never big on clubs, and after high school (model U.N., various honor societies, football, track) I basically stopped doing anything outside the classroom besides working. You can consider my getting certified for personal training and eventually training people my outside work at the moment. I need to start looking around on campus for some clubs to join that aren't too demanding time-wise.

And now, a somewhat unrelated rant:

I'm kinda bummed - Today, I spoke to the Professor I asked to write a recommendation for my application to this summer hospital program, and he's being sort of a tool to me. I shouldn't have told him the deadline is in February, because now he wants to wait until mid-January to write the letter. I really was hoping to submit my application early, because there's only about 20 seats in the program and hundreds of (possibly better-qualified) students apply. His words to me were "I don't understand why you're so anxious to get this done." I'm about to just find another professor/faculty member. I'm upset because this guy would write a really good/relevant letter - he's my Anatomy professor, a published author, and has done lots of published journal research you can find on pubmed, plus he's been teaching pre-med students for years!

Oh, and mletter, obviously I can research this myself, but in the meantime - how does one become a "technician" at a hospital? I'm not familiar with that position.. :oops: is it sort of like an aide to the doctors/nurses? What certification/training do I need? Sounds like a good job for me since I love to be around anything healthcare related...

You guys are really helpful.

You said that if you don't go to medical school, you might try physical therapy. I would recommend becoming a physical therapy tech or aide. Just call the local rehabilitation clinic at an outpatient or inpatient setting and ask them if they need any rehab or therapy techs or aides. It is on the job training, and can make anywhere from $7/hour to over $10/hour with experience. I am a physical therapist and being a tech is a great way to learn the field of therapy, interact with patients, and make decent cash while in school. Most techs take established patients through their exercise program, do crutch training, apply various modalities, walk patients while maneuvering hospital equipment (IV poles, etc.), or get orthopedic equipment set up for the therapists. Most of the students in my class had worked as a tech before entering school and the experience gave them a big advantage when actually in school and the exposure would be great for med school as well since you're participating in patient care and not just observing. Hope this helps :thumbup:

Buckeye, that's something I was considering. Since you need volunteer/work hours for most graduate school PT programs, I was thinking about volunteering/working at a local PT practice (is this so different from working @ a hospital outpatient wing?). Would I be killing two birds with one stone?

The way I see it, working in a PT office gives me just as much "patient experience" (if not more) than mopping the floor at the hospital :p

I'm a great people person, I just need to prove it. Let me tell you that 5 years of work in the "foodservice industry" has prepared me for just about any client interaction, and I've learned to handle myself in a professional manner.

I'm very familiar with what PT aides/techs do. I'm actually going for PT right now for my shoulder, and I have class with one of the female aides at the office. They probably aren't hiring, but I can look into volunteering or something. Also, my therapist actually grew up just a few blocks away from me! Maybe he'll help a hometown buddy out ;)

Hey all!

I WANT to be a DO!

Thanks in advance!

i think the only advice i can give you is to cowboy up on the prereqs for premedical. GPA wise your in good shape. just keep up the good work. i also go to college in ny i think anywhere you go physics is a hard subject. also i would advice you to get some medical experience such as volunteerig with a DO etc. it would give a sense of the field is like. some people end up not doing medicine because they did not like there medical experince but other than that your golden:) . and one more thing dont let those premeds intimidate you. you are competing with them. if it means one less person applying its better for them.

i think the only advice i can give you is to cowboy up on the prereqs for premedical. GPA wise your in good shape. just keep up the good work. i also go to college in ny i think anywhere you go physics is a hard subject. also i would advice you to get some medical experience such as volunteerig with a DO etc. it would give a sense of the field is like. some people end up not doing medicine because they did not like there medical experince but other than that your golden:) . and one more thing dont let those premeds intimidate you. you are competing with them. if it means one less person applying its better for them.

True man, it's tough sometimes, because I'm not so interested in some of the things I know I could be doing better in. Your signature just about sums it up, though.

It's not the kids who intimidate me, it's the whole situation! :scared:

Hey all!

I WANT to be a DO!

Thanks in advance!

as long as you can keep up that gpa you have you only have to worry about ONE thing. DO NOT get an 11 on your MCAT! other than that you'll be fine

And dont worry about being behind at all. I have a friend who started as a business major, switched to nutrition, then to psychology/pre-med and he still graduated on time and got into medical school so theres always time! G'luck

True man, it's tough sometimes, because I'm not so interested in some of the things I know I could be doing better in. Your signature just about sums it up, though.

It's not the kids who intimidate me, it's the whole situation! :scared:

I hate to play bad cop here, but I want to remind you that it is only going to get more and more difficult to maintain that gpa (which is fantastic at the moment). You've already discovered that organic chemistry (along with biochemistry and sometimes genetics) are notorious for lighting up a pre-med's gpa like a christmas tree. Do your very best to not let that happen.

Extracurriculars are nice and can help pad your application, but keep in mind that they're EXTRA-curriculars. Your primary focus should be on maintaining a stellar academic record. If you can keep that up, the doors will be open for both osteopathic and allopathic programs. Perhaps not necessarily EVERY medical school... but more than enough for you to choose a great one that fits you.

Nobody likes to mention it, but the first round of applications to every medical school is essentially a numbers game. After that, your ability to communicate effectively during your interview (which is where the extracurriculars would really come into play... something for you to talk about).

Just my 2 cents.

Your on the right track, your situation and maintaining your gpa will only get HARDER and it will be a fight, for thats why they call the pre-med courses the weed out courses!! But you have a good gpa and are knowledgble of what you need to do so you should be fine. Just do some shadowing, volunteer work, Extra-cirriculars, and leadership roles in your community and you myfreind would become competative, with the exception that you will score over 26 on the mcat.lol

Good Luck and best of Wishes:D

My Advise is to RELAX.... I didnt figure it out until this year. I used to get myself so worked up about an assignment or exam that my pulse was like Van Halens drum. Be serious about academics, (it looks as if you are) but relax and take the marathon one day at a time. Be sure to take time away from studying too.