Advice for Prelim Gen Surg--> Categorical spot

Started by nga2001
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

nga2001

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I matched prelim gen surg after realizing I actually did not want to do OB/Gyn. I am now wondering if I should be planning to reapply via ERAS to categorical positions (aka redoing intern year), if I should be aiming for slipping into a PGY2 spot at my program/another program or if I should just do both options and hope for the best. I was wondering if anyone else had any experience or advice on the matter. I know PGY2 spots begin to be listed in January/February but I do not know if anyone has any idea the prevalence of these spots or the realistic chances of receiving one.

I come from a great medical school, but my scores are admittedly low due to health issues during medical school. I do, however, have great LOR from surgeons I worked with during medical school, and hopefully will have more after a the first months of intern year.

I appreciate any advice I can get on the matter! Thank you.
 
I matched prelim gen surg after realizing I actually did not want to do OB/Gyn. I am now wondering if I should be planning to reapply via ERAS to categorical positions (aka redoing intern year), if I should be aiming for slipping into a PGY2 spot at my program/another program or if I should just do both options and hope for the best. I was wondering if anyone else had any experience or advice on the matter. I know PGY2 spots begin to be listed in January/February but I do not know if anyone has any idea the prevalence of these spots or the realistic chances of receiving one.

I come from a great medical school, but my scores are admittedly low due to health issues during medical school. I do, however, have great LOR from surgeons I worked with during medical school, and hopefully will have more after a the first months of intern year.

I appreciate any advice I can get on the matter! Thank you.

If a spot at your home program is an option, by all means I’d take it. There are no guarantees though, and PGY2 spots are uncommon, so you should plan on reapplying through ERAS regardless and if something comes up before then that’s great. Get letters from your new PD and attendings and aim to impress in the first couple months at your new job.
 
Work hard. Get things done fast. Learn to be efficient. Know what’s going on with everyone on whatever service you’re rotating through. Prepare for the cases you get to do. Don’t complain. Have a good attitude.

All kind of intuitive, but if you actively try and do these things, you will succeed.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was in your situation and plan to apply for both. Those PGY2 spots are rare and a lot of people in similar situations will be trying to get them.

As others have said, work hard and be invaluable to your team. People will notice and want you to stay. I became the go to intern.