Advice for Re-Application/Returning students in Optometry School

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrSpontaneouz83

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I figured I would vent a little to help cope with the disappointment this year. Needless to say from the thread, I was dismissed from my first year at ICO due to unsatisfactory academic performance. Though there were multiple reasons that led to this outcome, it was very difficult to compensate for them during my winter quarter (hardest quarter). If I could advise anyone entering optometry school, make sure your problems with your BF/GF are solved or at least stable, if you are entering the program from time off from undergrad...prepare in advance to sharpen your study skills. Also, if you speculate you have a learning disability and have insurance..get tested! Anywho, though I never perceived this happening to me, it unfortunately is my reality. I was hoping to get advice from people who may have dealt with this, as I want to do whatever it takes to get re-admitted (most likely would like to go to another school). I am currently seeking employment working for an optometrist/ophthalmologist. But I have heard conflicting stories of having to receive a masters degree vs. taking grad school courses? Does anyone have any feedback? It would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you. P.s. Still keeping my chin up :)

Members don't see this ad.

sorry to hear that. I heard students getting a one year masters program increases their chance of re admission. Are you sure you want to continue with optometry??

Members don't see this ad :)
That's an insane failure rate! And please don't be so mean to current students. You were in our position once, and I'm sure you wouldn't have wanted ODs wishing for your failure.

I'm not being mean to anyone and I'm not wishing anyone fails. I just like that sometimes schools recognize that some students just aren't cut out for the job and release them. It's better than catering to their every need and giving them all kinds of second chances just to get them through school and collect another $100,000 in tuition.

That's an insane failure rate! And please don't be so mean to current students. You were in our position once, and I'm sure you wouldn't have wanted ODs wishing for your failure.

See....I feel badly for these students, but to me a 15% failure rate means that the school admitted a substantial number of students that really should have never been admitted in the first place. I blame the school way more than I blame the students, and unfortunately...the three new schools are not likely to help alleviate this problem.

There definitely were people that did not belong in OD school. Ironically though some of these people had good stats coming in. A couple were 3.5-3.6 with good OAT scores (330-345 range). A friend of mine in the program came in with a 3.1 GPA and a 320 on the OAT respectively has a solid 85% B average the first year of the program! lol Sometimes the people who got in legitimately cannot handle the stress, find that they dislike optometry, or are not cognitively cut out for professional school. After talking to a bunch of practicing OD's out there I have to agree with KHE (something I rarely ever do! lol) that the opening of these 3 new schools is a BIG mistake. We need to reduce the enrollment at all the current schools by about 25% and not accredit any new schools so they DO NOT OPEN! I worked hard as a second chance (and second career applicant) taking a year of graduate level science courses with good grades to get into optometry school. Some of the people I am in school with should not be here. This fact happens in every professional school (just more in the lower tier schools within each profession than the best ones) Case in point, my relative's DO Medical school has several students that SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN THERE! My cousin went as far as to say these people were scary bad at graduation and worried about the future patients they would serve! His DO School had a 3.2 matriculant average! But many of them ended up being very successful. You just never know.

with these as future colleagues, its going to be great

ya got that right. nothing like a little encouragement. btw, just because someone fails doesn't mean they wouldn't make a great doctor. i know a few who get straight A's in my class that, in my opinion, will NOT be good doctors.

Okay, for the record I am very capable of completing the required work. My problem was I missed 3 tests and was not able to make them up (as they considered my reasons unexcusable which were honest, as opposed to others who play the "I was sick card." Secondly, this led me to kind of giving up that quarter, along with depression I went through during that time for other reasons. Long story short, my winter quarter GPA was a 1.25 which significantly decreased my cumulative. I did manage to pull off a 3.10 my Spring quarter. Unfortunately for my class, ICO increased their "minimum passing acceptable cumulative from 2.0 to a 2.25." Had that not been the case, I would have still been in the program. Out of 150 students in my class, about 20 people I know were on academic probation/academic jeopardy. And believe me, I don't know ANYONE who did not break down at some point and cry their a$$es off due to the ridiculous amount of work. Those who got through it...great...but it did not come easy to ANYONE. In my honest opinion, optometry school is not about how much you 'learn' in a class...it really comes down to how fast you can read and how much material you can memorize 1-2 nights before the test. Sadly enough, I have a verrry short term memory which really made things so much harder. Seriously, I feel most of my learning was on my own, as professors simply hand you packets of information to memorize.

Those who may argue that graduate school is more "self-learning," I would agree except for the fact that it should also reflect the cost of tuition. And in a professional school such as optometry, there should definitely be other approaches to teaching us things we actually would use in our respective fields. In my opinion, there should also be some kind of course to teach those "straight A" students with dull personalities proper etiquette with patients, as I have witnessed HORRIBLE interpersonal skills.

with these as future colleagues, its going to be great

I think you missed the point. I don't WANT people to fail. But there ARE people in school who shouldn't be there. There were some in my class, I'm sure there are some in yours. Now, whether that's the school's fault for admitting them, or the students fault, I don't care. The fact is, more bottom tier students should be dismissed (or better yet, never admitted in the first place.)

Okay, for the record I am very capable of completing the required work. My problem was I missed 3 tests and was not able to make them up (as they considered my reasons unexcusable which were honest, as opposed to others who play the "I was sick card." Secondly, this led me to kind of giving up that quarter, along with depression I went through during that time for other reasons. Long story short, my winter quarter GPA was a 1.25 which significantly decreased my cumulative. I did manage to pull off a 3.10 my Spring quarter. Unfortunately for my class, ICO increased their "minimum passing acceptable cumulative from 2.0 to a 2.25." Had that not been the case, I would have still been in the program. Out of 150 students in my class, about 20 people I know were on academic probation/academic jeopardy. And believe me, I don't know ANYONE who did not break down at some point and cry their a$$es off due to the ridiculous amount of work. Those who got through it...great...but it did not come easy to ANYONE. In my honest opinion, optometry school is not about how much you 'learn' in a class...it really comes down to how fast you can read and how much material you can memorize 1-2 nights before the test. Sadly enough, I have a verrry short term memory which really made things so much harder. Seriously, I feel most of my learning was on my own, as professors simply hand you packets of information to memorize.

Those who may argue that graduate school is more "self-learning," I would agree except for the fact that it should also reflect the cost of tuition. And in a professional school such as optometry, there should definitely be other approaches to teaching us things we actually would use in our respective fields. In my opinion, there should also be some kind of course to teach those "straight A" students with dull personalities proper etiquette with patients, as I have witnessed HORRIBLE interpersonal skills.

Well, it took a while to wade through the sob story, but the gist seems to be that you couldn't handle school. You said it yourself: "Sadly enough, I have a verrry short term memory which really made things so much harder." So who's at fault here? You seem to be placing a lot of blame on the system and the school, when ultimately, it was you who couldn't do it.

Then to top it off, you spout off the same tired nonsense about "straight A" students and how they have dull personalities and horrible people skills. It's great if that makes you feel better, but there are just as many dull personalities in bottom tier students as upper tier students. You see, some people are capable of being smart AND personable. I know this is hard to believe for those who for some reason think that the "C" students make the best doctors. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I think you missed the point. I don't WANT people to fail. But there ARE people in school who shouldn't be there. There were some in my class, I'm sure there are some in yours. Now, whether that's the school's fault for admitting them, or the students fault, I don't care. The fact is, more bottom tier students should be dismissed (or better yet, never admitted in the first place.)

So bottom tiered students should not be admitted, I agree with that. However, why would anyone with a gpa >3.7 go to optometry school and get into 200k in debt ? Unless of course if they loved optometry, which is rare and somewhat BS.

Its not gonna happen, so I think the "mediocre" gpa is a good payoff when looking at the other graduate programs and what they bring to the table after graduation.

Besides, its not truly difficult to get a good GPA. Anyone with persistence can achieve it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Swhy would anyone with a gpa >3.7 go to optometry school and get into 200k in debt . Unless of course if they loved optometry, which is rare and somewhat BS

Nice, now future colleagues are questioning many student's commitment to the profession. Maybe I shouldn't have worked too hard in undergrad.

btw, just because someone fails doesn't mean they wouldn't make a great doctor.

This is without one of the most mind boggling postings I've ever seen on here. :(

If failing your introductory course work doesn't mean that someone isn't going to be a good doctor, then what would mean that?

I mean...just because someone fails doesn't mean that they're a bad person, but cmon. Let's be serious here. Someone else pointed out that it is possible to be smart, turn in a solid academic performance and still have a personality and have good interpersonal skills. Students need to stop trying to convince themselves that it is the C students who make the best doctors and to stop trying to blame "horrible professors" or students who lie about being sick for their own poor academic performance. If a classmate claims that they are sick, in what way does this affect YOUR performance on any particular exam?

Yes...we all know a nerdly bookworm or two who is near the top of the class in terms of GPA and has the personality of a toad, but there are just as many dullards with C averages as well.

I feel badly for the OP of this thread. I'm sure that they're a nice enough person and went to school with the best of intentions and for them, it just didn't work out. There's nothing wrong with that. But to say that you missed 3 tests (not 1, or even 2, but THREE) and EVERY excuse was considered inexcusable.....cmon....that's just a little on the stinky side. And then to say "you gave up" on the quarter? What did you EXPECT would be the result of that course of action? A hearty pat on the back? Where's the perserverance? Where's the dedication? Where's the maturity that a student in professional school should have to NOT give up?

Nice, now future colleagues are questioning many student's commitment to the profession. Maybe I shouldn't have worked too hard in undergrad.

Jeez, enough with the moaning about "future colleagues". None of us are out to get you.

Wow,
back when I was OD school, we lost a few students b/c they didn't want to be there for one reason or another and a few for academic reasons. Overall, it was a tough program but everyone got thru it. The bitching and complaining I am reading here is staggering. BTW, as someone else said, no one in their right mind with a 3.7 or yet 3.5 gpa and higher would want to become an optometrist and acquire a huge debt. That is insane. They should be applying to med school and become physicians not OD's.
Do any you realize that with 150-200 g's of school debt, when are you going to get your return back as an OD? Very difficult at current moment. I don't care if you're employed and making above and beyond the average; it still is very difficult to make money.
Let the bashers start bashing my head.

BTW, as someone else said, no one in their right mind with a 3.7 or yet 3.5 gpa and higher would want to become an optometrist and acquire a huge debt. That is insane. They should be applying to med school and become physicians not OD's.

Call me "insane" if you want, but I am in optometry school because I want to be an optometrist and I find optometry interesting, not because I couldn't cut it in med school. I could have. My GPA was (and still is above that range), and I know I could have gotten into med school if I wanted to. I don't. I don't want to be a general physician, and I don't want the hours of an MD. I want a family, and I want to be a good optometrist.

You can't really believe that all optometrists are here because it was their last resort when they couldn't go to med school. Some of us are here for the right reasons after all.

why would anyone with a gpa >3.7 go to optometry school and get into 200k in debt ? Unless of course if they loved optometry, which is rare and somewhat BS.

I don't think the fact that I love optometry is BS... and a huge chunk of my class actually loves optometry, too. Wow, I guess we are a rare breed. Your arguments have no merit; most are random babblings you like to insert into good threads. And that isn't BS either.

no one in their right mind with a 3.7 or yet 3.5 gpa and higher would want to become an optometrist and acquire a huge debt. That is insane. They should be applying to med school and become physicians not OD's.

Please refrain from telling me what I should and/or should not do with my life based upon my undergraduate degree. I am not insane. I absolutely cannot stand how several of you like to try hijacking every thread into an argument about OD vs. MD or New Schools vs. Reducing Class Sizes, for examples. In and of themselves they are fun threads to have, but the OP was looking for some advice not relating to either or the two.

To the OP: I've got nothin' except all the best wishes for you when you reapply. My class had someone during 1st year who had some academic troubles and she is currently waiting on the possibility of being readmitted. I think she has a good shot, but she worked really hard, took several grad classes, and got her life in order before the higher ups would even give her a chance. Again, all the best.

Please refrain from telling me what I should and/or should not do with my life based upon my undergraduate degree. I am not insane. I absolutely cannot stand how several of you like to try hijacking every thread into an argument about OD vs. MD or New Schools vs. Reducing Class Sizes, for examples. In and of themselves they are fun threads to have, but the OP was looking for some advice not relating to either or the two.

Why does everyone get their panties in a wad about everything around here. Everything is taken as a personal attack. Guess what? I was a over a 3.5 and went to optometry school because I wanted to be an OD. Do I care if hello07 thinks I'm insane? Not particularly, but he's also probably at least partly correct.

So bottom tiered students should not be admitted, I agree with that. However, why would anyone with a gpa >3.7 go to optometry school and get into 200k in debt ? Unless of course if they loved optometry, which is rare and somewhat BS.

Its not gonna happen, so I think the "mediocre" gpa is a good payoff when looking at the other graduate programs and what they bring to the table after graduation.

Besides, its not truly difficult to get a good GPA. Anyone with persistence can achieve it.

Guys, I think you may have interpreted my posts differently, so I'll elaborate.

I'll start off with a question.
How many of you OD's or soon to be OD's love waking up everyday knowing that you will be treating all primary care related symptoms of the eye ?

From all of the negativity I have read here, it seems to me many will not, though a few might.

People get into optometry for other reasons, rather then to treat. Its pretty much the same for every other proffesion. Treating or completing your tasks is part of the job...you are required to treat or you will not be allowed to work etc. And if your human, you will do this with minimal gratification, no matter what your occupation is. Thats why I think people who say they love optometry is BS...because to me, its not true. They "love" optometry because it helps them survive. But all this really doesnt matter.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think KHE first decided to go into optometry when he visited his optometrist and saw all the "cool" devices/instruments the optometrist used. In no time, KHE was enrolled in Optometry school and soon graduated. However, he struggled, until recently.

If you were to ask KHE, while he was struggling, that he loved waking up everyday to go to work, I think he would have said no. If you ask him now, I think he will say yes, with a litlle thought.

If you truly love optometry, then you must love it even while you are struggling.

Now, I'm not attacking anyone here. People choose a certain profession for the output it brings. And I just think, like eyestrain has said, that there are "better" professions. Why get into a declining profession when you could get into a stable or perhaps inclining profession ?

How many of you OD's or soon to be OD's love waking up everyday knowing that you will be treating all primary care related symptoms of the eye ?

From all of the negativity I have read here, it seems to me many will not, though a few might.

People get into optometry for other reasons, rather then to treat. Its pretty much the same for every other proffesion. Treating or completing your tasks is part of the job...you are required to treat or you will not be allowed to work etc. And if your human, you will do this with minimal gratification, no matter what your occupation is. Thats why I think people who say they love optometry is BS...because to me, its not true. They "love" optometry because it helps them survive. But all this really doesnt matter.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think KHE first decided to go into optometry when he visited his optometrist and saw all the "cool" devices/instruments the optometrist used. In no time, KHE was enrolled in Optometry school and soon graduated. However, he struggled, until recently.

If you were to ask KHE, while he was struggling, that he loved waking up everyday to go to work, I think he would have said no. If you ask him now, I think he will say yes, with a litlle thought.

If you truly love optometry, then you must love it even while you are struggling.

Now, I'm not attacking anyone here. People choose a certain profession for the output it brings. And I just think, like eyestrain has said, that there are "better" professions. Why get into a declining profession when you could get into a stable or perhaps inclining profession ?

By that same logic, do you think that a primary care MD looks forward to waking up everyday helping people with sniffles and diarrhea everyday? I'd much rather take the eye.

Also, why do you think optometry is a declining profession? We have more rights to diagnose, treat, and prescribe than we ever had! Sure beats telling every red-eyed patient to scrub their eyelids like they did a few decades ago. You're letting a couple of negative doctors on this forum really get to your head.

I don't disagree that there are "better" professions out there, but considering the current economic situation in America, the only thing that's on the incline are prices and unemployment. Most people who tell you optometry is a lousy profession has never been poor or worked in a profession that TRULY has big problems.

It's nice to see how this thread went way off topic. At any rate, this thread was meant moreso for advice for people who struggled with external problems (be it relationship problems, depression, etc) resulting in academic probems. But I should have figured it would attract OPs who thrive on people who don't perform as well in school, just to make themselves feel "smarter" and superior as they may have their own internal issues. As such, I was not blaming the program or anyone for my academic problems, I was simply expressing my opinions to make learning at optometry school more effective. I completely take responsibility for what happened, however, it is not fair to say it was ALL my fault considering my circumstances. As a result, I spoke with the dean of my school today about their decision and there is a possibility that they will reconsider my situation. For those of you with that "just kick them out mentality", I really hope you do not encounter problems in your personal life (ie, death of a loved one) throughout your optometric education. It'll be very intersting to see how people sympathize with you...karma is a B$#^H.

I completely take responsibility for what happened, however, it is not fair to say it was ALL my fault considering my circumstances.

So basically you're saying that it wasn't really your fault. You managed to contradict yourself in the same sentence. Let me be very clear, I'm NOT HAPPY that you failed. But the fact remains that all students go through the same education and all students have problems that they encounter during that education. You're situation is no different than anyone elses. Lots of people face the problems, deal with them, and still make it through school. Just because you couldn't cut it doesn't mean there's some inherent flaw in the optometric education system. It just means that you couldn't handle it.

For those of you with that "just kick them out mentality", I really hope you do not encounter problems in your personal life (ie, death of a loved one) throughout your optometric education. It'll be very intersting to see how people sympathize with you...karma is a B$#^H.

And as far as having a "just kick them out" mentality, what is the school supposed to do? Keep catering to you and hold your hand until you can get things figured out? What exactly are you expecting from them? You already complained about them raising their academic standard to a whopping 2.25. How low should they go? SHould everyone pass no matter what? Or should it be just low enough to keep you around, but not the kids with averages lower than you?

My goodness. Someone here has just gone through a very traumatic experience. Failing out of school for whatever reason can't be a pleasant experience. Can we not just show some compassion and leave all of our bickering/point proving/I'm smarter and know more about optometry, school, education, psychology than you posts to the side for one thread?

OP - good luck. I hope that whatever happens you are successful and happy. Further I hope that you are able to overcome whatever caused you difficulty in school this year and apply it to whatever program you find yourself in in the future.

Well, all things being equal I would rather be going to the beach, or the golf course, or playing hockey or flopped on my couch watching The Price is Right and eating salami sandwiches and chocolate milk (ahhhh, childhood) than refracting and treating glaucoma, so in that context, no....I don't "love" optometry.

I don't derive any particular "high" from being an optometrist. I know some ODs who do. They just LOOOOVE practicing every day and to them, it's like a drug. For me, I take it as a rewarding career in which I get paid great money to help people see better, and help them protect their most precious sense. I get to meet many people in a day, most of whom are very interesting, pleasant and happy to see me. There is very little blood and guts, there is very little death and when there IS death, it's not usually because of something I did or didn't do. In that sense, I "love" it.

When I was struggling, it was due to the fact that I was limited in my scope of practice by insurance companies, not state laws, desire or ability. This was incredibly frustrating for me and yes, i was not happy waking up and going to work. That's pretty much why I left optometry for a while. Now that those problems are behind me, I'm more than satisfied. Would I recommend optometry to others, yes...I would. But with conditions.

Of course it's just a job.....if it were up to me...I would be doing nothing but having sex all day and eating fried chicken...mmmmmmmmmmm.....chicken :laugh:

Of course it's just a job.....if it were up to me...I would be doing nothing but having sex all day and eating fried chicken...mmmmmmmmmmm.....chicken :laugh:

Truer words have never been spoken.

What do you mean by "if it were up to me" ? I mean, aren't you going into optometry school because you would like to ?

Heck...if you love having sex all day more then anything else then go that route. Therese no shame in that, really. Porn stars could make alot of $...

gochi, I think the 'if it were up to me' goes with the having sex part, not the first part...

so, I have a question... you made that post about how optometry is declining and nobody really loves it, etc, etc.. are you doing optometry or not??

Thank you very much for your compassion xMattOD. As for you Eyestrain, I don't need you or anyone telling me what I am or am not capable of doing. I had a very rough year and I am going to have to dust my shoulders off and start fresh again. And not everyone in optometry goes through the same struggles, some are much more severe than others. On another note, it's interesting how you chose a career in the health care system considering you come off as a cold hearted jerk...hope you don't act like that towards your patients. All I can say is I busted my *** off to get into optometry school and as things in my life are a lot more stable, I will go full throddle to accomplish my goals, as I have always done in the past.

gochi, I think the 'if it were up to me' goes with the having sex part, not the first part...

so, I have a question... you made that post about how optometry is declining and nobody really loves it, etc, etc.. are you doing optometry or not??

To tell you the truth, Im still hesitant. Like others have said, every profession has problems; perhaps even greater problems than Optometry currently has.

But when I look at the big picture, compare what professions I like or think I like and also compare their outputs interms of work hours, difficulty,cost, schooling time, salary etc. Optometry does stand out. I think Optometry is somewhat risky relative to the other healt-care related professions, but then again being too cautious is probably the greatest risk of all.

Thank you very much for your compassion xMattOD. As for you Eyestrain, I don't need you or anyone telling me what I am or am not capable of doing. I had a very rough year and I am going to have to dust my shoulders off and start fresh again. And not everyone in optometry goes through the same struggles, some are much more severe than others. On another note, it's interesting how you chose a career in the health care system considering you come off as a cold hearted jerk...hope you don't act like that towards your patients. All I can say is I busted my *** off to get into optometry school and as things in my life are a lot more stable, I will go full throddle to accomplish my goals, as I have always done in the past.

Hey,

I think hes just trying to lift Optometry onto a higher pedestal. I don't think anyone can understand your situation unless they have experienced it.

Anyhow, will you be going to the same school or will you be applying to different schools ?

As for you Eyestrain, I don't need you or anyone telling me what I am or am not capable of doing. I had a very rough year and I am going to have to dust my shoulders off and start fresh again. And not everyone in optometry goes through the same struggles, some are much more severe than others. On another note, it's interesting how you chose a career in the health care system considering you come off as a cold hearted jerk...hope you don't act like that towards your patients. All I can say is I busted my *** off to get into optometry school and as things in my life are a lot more stable, I will go full throddle to accomplish my goals, as I have always done in the past.

Listen, I said I wasn't HAPPY you failed. What I was pointing out was that over and over you blame anything and everything but yourself. When you started suggesting that somehow the system was to blame, I'm going to call that out every time. It's the same for everyone, buddy.

I never claimed that all the students who get A's are going to be bad doctors. Please read my post again. My point is that you are naive to the fact that some students getting admitted with stellar GPAs should NOT be in the program due to poor ethical/moral standards for health care. I have heard things being said that amazed me, things that should never be said by future doctors of any field. At the same time, I have met honest, moral, and hard working students who sometimes can't make the grades for one reason or the other. And apparently optometry school has gotten significantly harder than when you were in school. It is difficult to get Cs, very difficult to get Bs and near impossible to get As. I work my a** off to get Bs and Cs and I'm not a stupid person.

Oh, and by the way, a significant chunk of the introductory course work they teach isn't directly relevant to the career anyway. So next time, before you downplay my posts, I suggest taking a moment to reflect on the current state of things, not how they were years ago.

This is without one of the most mind boggling postings I've ever seen on here. :(

If failing your introductory course work doesn't mean that someone isn't going to be a good doctor, then what would mean that?

I mean...just because someone fails doesn't mean that they're a bad person, but cmon. Let's be serious here. Someone else pointed out that it is possible to be smart, turn in a solid academic performance and still have a personality and have good interpersonal skills. Students need to stop trying to convince themselves that it is the C students who make the best doctors and to stop trying to blame "horrible professors" or students who lie about being sick for their own poor academic performance. If a classmate claims that they are sick, in what way does this affect YOUR performance on any particular exam?

Yes...we all know a nerdly bookworm or two who is near the top of the class in terms of GPA and has the personality of a toad, but there are just as many dullards with C averages as well.

I feel badly for the OP of this thread. I'm sure that they're a nice enough person and went to school with the best of intentions and for them, it just didn't work out. There's nothing wrong with that. But to say that you missed 3 tests (not 1, or even 2, but THREE) and EVERY excuse was considered inexcusable.....cmon....that's just a little on the stinky side. And then to say "you gave up" on the quarter? What did you EXPECT would be the result of that course of action? A hearty pat on the back? Where's the perserverance? Where's the dedication? Where's the maturity that a student in professional school should have to NOT give up?

I never claimed that all the students who get A's are going to be bad doctors. Please read my post again. My point is that you are naive to the fact that some students getting admitted with stellar GPAs should NOT be in the program due to poor ethical/moral standards for health care.

It's pretty much what you implied. It gets repeated over and over here for some reason, most likely by students who are struggling in an attempt to knock the good students down to their level. What you fail to comprehend is that those students with "poor ethical/moral standards" and poor people skills are NOT ONLY the high GPA ones. There are just as many of these with Bs and Cs.

At the same time, I have met honest, moral, and hard working students who sometimes can't make the grades for one reason or the other.

KHE and I have been arguing this point forever. Hard works means absolutely NOTHING if you can't learn and retain the material. I can work as hard as I want at being a pro football player, but it won't happen because I'm not blessed with the physical skills necessary. Some students can work as hard as they want, but if they aren't blessed with the mental skills, they won't make it.

And apparently optometry school has gotten significantly harder than when you were in school. It is difficult to get Cs, very difficult to get Bs and near impossible to get As.

I graduated a year ago, so I doubt it's much different. The difficulty of the education is relative to each student. It may be impossible for you to get As, but it's not for everyone.

Not everyone that tries hard will be getting A's...some people are really smart or they just have more exposure on the subject so it comes easy for them... an A is not for effort spent.

DrSpontaneouz83, the standard has to be set somewhere...i know what u went through was tough. let that be a learning experience and don't let it happen again. i have no doubt that you are very capabe of finishing the curriculum. G'luck.

i remember a girl from ICO who posted here about having failed and retrying 3 times in a row! i think the thread was deleted because she kept whining about missing a passing grade point by 1 percent or something to that effect.

Go to graduate school. There are some one year accelerated master's programs. Reapply to optometry school while in your master's program to prove you should be there and can really handle it. It works!!

Hey guys,
I figured I would vent a little to help cope with the disappointment this year. Needless to say from the thread, I was dismissed from my first year at ICO due to unsatisfactory academic performance. Though there were multiple reasons that led to this outcome, it was very difficult to compensate for them during my winter quarter (hardest quarter). If I could advise anyone entering optometry school, make sure your problems with your BF/GF are solved or at least stable, if you are entering the program from time off from undergrad...prepare in advance to sharpen your study skills. Also, if you speculate you have a learning disability and have insurance..get tested! Anywho, though I never perceived this happening to me, it unfortunately is my reality. I was hoping to get advice from people who may have dealt with this, as I want to do whatever it takes to get re-admitted (most likely would like to go to another school). I am currently seeking employment working for an optometrist/ophthalmologist. But I have heard conflicting stories of having to receive a masters degree vs. taking grad school courses? Does anyone have any feedback? It would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you. P.s. Still keeping my chin up :)

do you know the user "HARDTIMES"?

Go to graduate school. There are some one year accelerated master's programs. Reapply to optometry school while in your master's program to prove you should be there and can really handle it. It works!!

I have friends who have tried to do a masters in order to get to a doctorate program, only to fail out.

Do not do a masters just to gain a grain of hope to get accepted into a doctorate program. People who have no motivation in rediculuous research in cell biology or crap like that will not want to do a year of research in that sort of stuff. There are other ways to attain a doctorate without resorting to a masters.

Let's remember, this isn't their first time trying to get into professional school. They got in and FAILED!!! They need to prove they can work up to the level of a doctorate. A one year master's degree will help prepare you. You have to work VERY hard to get a B average in a one year accelerated master's program. I did it. I proved I could get the grades, and I was accepted right after my first semester. What would it hurt to get a master's degree? Nothing I can think of. This person failed optometry school. they need to prove they are ready and prepared to return. Just my opinion.

Panzergeneral,

I wholeheartedly disagree with you. I took almost a year of Masters of Anatomy courses before I applied for optometry school and they are not impossible. I did it because I was out of school for some time and decided to return for a second career. If someone cannot weather a masters degree course load successfully ( a B average) then they have NO business in much more voluminous course load (20-27 semester hour) in optometry school. Most of the admissions I dealt with in optometry application passed on this theme, "Go and take a year of masters level course work in the sciences or get a masters degree in the sciences" Your course load in a masters degree is much less therefore you have far more time to delve into the detail. Optometry school is difficult due to the volume and limited time you have to contend with to survive or thrive.

If someone cannot handle a MS degree course load they have NO business in professional school (clinical doctorate.)

I agree about the masters degree. Prove to yourself and optometry admissions that you are a serious student. You won't be sorry.

I applaud those that spoke on behalf of the optometry students that entered with a GPA >3.5 or 3.7. I went to Loyola University Chicago and majored in Biology. I had a 3.90 GPA. Yes, we can handle med school. Yes, we can probably do whatever we set our minds to. Yes, I got **** for not going to med school. But guess what? I didn't WANT med school. It's held up as this fabulous profession, this gold trophy to achieve. And guess what? I pass.

Now onto the real topic of this thread:

If you really want this (and god knows the money you spent on tools, lol). Reapply. Sort your life out, think, and come back strong and with a clean plate. =) Also, try another school for the hell of it. As far as ICO - I'm an ICO student, getting A's, but loathe the institution and fakeness. I'll just use the resources and get what I need out of the school and move on. No offense ICO-ers, even tho I know you probably will take offense. Your problem.

m