Advice for Reapplicant please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lemon167

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have applied this cycle and have been put on the waitlist for 5 different schools after interviewing. I thought I did well on my interviews and my stats are average 3.58 GPA and 20 AA/TS on the DAT.

As of now, I'm not betting on an acceptance and plan to strengthen my application for the next cycle. What have other reapplicants done?

I plan to retake my DAT and raise my GPA even more next semester, but I'm not sure what more I can do to strengthen my application. I have over 100 hours shadowing at different specialties, I've volunteered summers and semesters doing dental and non-dental things, and I've worked part time throughout school.

Any advice would be appreciated, especially if you've made it into dental school as a reapplicant!

Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,

I have applied this cycle and have been put on the waitlist for 5 different schools after interviewing. I thought I did well on my interviews and my stats are average 3.58 GPA and 20 AA/TS on the DAT.

As of now, I'm not betting on an acceptance and plan to strengthen my application for the next cycle. What have other reapplicants done?

I plan to retake my DAT and raise my GPA even more next semester, but I'm not sure what more I can do to strengthen my application. I have over 100 hours shadowing at different specialties, I've volunteered summers and semesters doing dental and non-dental things, and I've worked part time throughout school.

Any advice would be appreciated, especially if you've made it into dental school as a reapplicant!

Thank you so much!

I would wait a week or two more before starting on next year
deposits/commitments are due at most schools around now, and there will be a bunch of seats released to other candidates

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah relax, plenty of seats will open up. You have reason to stay hopeful friend

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
How many schools did you apply to? If you got 5 interviews, I don't think your stats are your problem. Sure you DAT could be a little higher. Your plan to keep your GPA up and potentially retake the DAT is fine but I would also work on your interview skills.

But like others have said, stay hopeful since there will be a lot of seats opening up over the coming months as waitlists start moving and people decline seats.

Reactions: 1 user
How many schools did you apply to? If you got 5 interviews, I don't think your stats are your problem. Sure you DAT could be a little higher. Your plan to keep your GPA up and potentially retake the DAT is fine but I would also work on your interview skills.

But like others have said, stay hopeful since there will be a lot of seats opening up over the coming months as waitlists start moving and people decline seats.
I got 5/12 interviews, but thank you. I’ll work on my interviewing skills more!