Advice for securing a GI fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

giplease

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I recently matched in internal medicine a mid-tier University program. I found this forum very useful for my residency preparation and hope to receive some good advice for my fellowship aspirations. With only 2 years in hand for the next match cycle for me, I think its time to roll up my sleeves.

I am an IMG, with some background in ID (home country residency and PhD in infectious diseases). However, my primary interest is gastroenterology since I have always loved it since my undergraduate days and would love to take it as my long-term career. That is why I am hoping to pursue a fellowship in GI.

I want to know what would be the best way to improve my chances to secure a fellowship position in GI? I understand publishing in GI would be one way forward. What else should I do? Please share your valuable suggestion on how best I could gear up my profile? Also, in terms of publishing, what sort of research will be most useful (meta-analysis, case reports, original research articles etc.)? Any suggestions, about how I should go about collaborating in order to publish more?

I received my schedule for 1st year from my program and unfortunately, there is no GI rotation in the 1st year for me. Also, our program does not have an in-house GI fellowship.

TIA :)

Members don't see this ad.

are there any GI fellowships near your program that you could start to build a relationship with?

Reactions: 1 user
i wasn't given GI in first year as well. Found a resident in elective at same time who was in gi but wasn't interested in doing fellowships. swapped with her. You can find solutions after you start. Best interest of you, do not nag chief resident before starting. be in their good books and they may even do the work for u.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
are there any GI fellowships near your program that you could start to build a relationship with?
There are a few in my state but not very close geographically. Our program allows one external rotation in second year and I will try to arrange one then. Other than that, do you have any suggestions on how to approach those programs?

Thanks for the reply :)

i wasn't given GI in first year as well. Found a resident in elective at same time who was in gi but wasn't interested in doing fellowships. swapped with her. You can find solutions after you start. Best interest of you, do not nag chief resident before starting. be in their good books and they may even do the work for u.

Thanks for the suggestion. I see a few of my colleagues have GI rotations in the first year. I will try to swap one of my late elective rotations. Do you think 5 or 6 months down the line, after being in the good book, I can ask the chief residents to put me in a different elective? Or should I first arrange the swap and then approach?

Unless you plan to and are able to do many GI rotations during residency, there’s no benefit in doing it year 1 vs 2. Just do it in July of year 2. Even if you are able to do multiple rotations, ask to do it twice in your second year. Start research later part of first year. I agree with reaching out to a nearby program that has in house fellowship for research purposes because the attendings will likely be more known and active. I think your focus is a bit misplaced.

Reactions: 2 users
Dont worry about a rotation until you know you will do a good job. Agree completed with what GastriqueGraffin advises.

One thing I think you should really think about is leveraging your background. Is your PhD in any way at an intersection with GI? Can it be leveraged that way? Basic scientists or those with a basic/ wet bench bg are very attractive to programs if they can use your skillset while you are a fellow (and beyond). Doing basic work during residency is tough unless you are on a research track and have the infrastructure around you. However you are at a University program, I assume there is some NIH funding around you, you may want to look into this and see if thats work you can do.

Unless you plan to and are able to do many GI rotations during residency, there’s no benefit in doing it year 1 vs 2. Just do it in July of year 2. Even if you are able to do multiple rotations, ask to do it twice in your second year. Start research later part of first year. I agree with reaching out to a nearby program that has in house fellowship for research purposes because the attendings will likely be more known and active. I think your focus is a bit misplaced.
Thank you! I think I might be able to manage two rotations, one of them being an external one. So the plan is to start some research work with nearby programs in the first year and then arrange for an external rotation with them begining of second year. I completely agree that I have to be at my best at the rotation, so improving my skills over the first year will be a boon.

Dont worry about a rotation until you know you will do a good job. Agree completed with what GastriqueGraffin advises.

One thing I think you should really think about is leveraging your background. Is your PhD in any way at an intersection with GI? Can it be leveraged that way? Basic scientists or those with a basic/ wet bench bg are very attractive to programs if they can use your skillset while you are a fellow (and beyond). Doing basic work during residency is tough unless you are on a research track and have the infrastructure around you. However you are at a University program, I assume there is some NIH funding around you, you may want to look into this and see if thats work you can do.

Thanks for your reply. Although I am not in a research track, my university does substantial basic science research and I am aiming to collaborate. Not a lot of research in GI, unfortunately. Also, being an IMG, I am not sure though if I can secure funding from NIH, if that is what you suggested. But I will definitely give a shot at volunteering in some GI projects.

HI, I am a PGY2 resident in a community program, will apply for GI fellowship next year.
My credentials are :
STEP 1 : 250, STEP 2 : 247, STEP 3 : 231, CS : pass
Had neuroscience research: 6 months before joining the residency
Publications: 1 GI case report submitted in ACG. 3 more submitted case reports but not related to GI
Greencard Holder
In my program, we don't have enough time and opportunity for research

I want to know if I apply next year with a few more publications in GI, what are my chances in matching? also, people alys discourage saying that its not possible to match in GI outside your own program? Please guide what I can do to increase my chances to match?

HI, I am a PGY2 resident in a community program, will apply for GI fellowship next year.
My credentials are :
STEP 1 : 250, STEP 2 : 247, STEP 3 : 231, CS : pass
Had neuroscience research: 6 months before joining the residency
Publications: 1 GI case report submitted in ACG. 3 more submitted case reports but not related to GI
Greencard Holder
In my program, we don't have enough time and opportunity for research

I want to know if I apply next year with a few more publications in GI, what are my chances in matching? also, people alys discourage saying that its not possible to match in GI outside your own program? Please guide what I can do to increase my chances to match?
you chances are low. if you can do chief year, could be helpful but only because you are a community program. most people do not benefit from chief year. you will need several first author FULL PUBLICATION, NOT case reports.

you chances are low. if you can do chief year, could be helpful but only because you are a community program. most people do not benefit from chief year. you will need several first author FULL PUBLICATION, NOT case reports.
With publications you can get in the mix
Key is with....get going and get at least one
Not having visa helps

I am a PGY 1. US grad, step 1: 248, step 2: 256, going to do step 3 in November (I've set myself up to score well). I'm at a community program that I chose for geographic reasons. There is no fellowship program at my hospital, and there are limited research opportunities. I have already reached out to the GI attendings at my program and have gotten in a case report with one of them.
Any input of what my chances would be and how to maximize them?
Thanks

Hi everyone, incoming PGY-1 here. I was wondering if fellowship programs have a significant preference for clinical vs bench research for GI?

Hi everyone, incoming PGY-1 here. I was wondering if fellowship programs have a significant preference for clinical vs bench research for GI?
No but good luck trying to publish bench research over 2 years.

Reactions: 2 users