Official 2023-2024 Gastroenterology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greeenguu

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do not mind the unoriginal title! But I think it's definitely that time of year! So let's start it off!
Find below previous application cycle threads as well as some old spreadsheets!
The 2021-2022 spreadsheet seems to be lost in the ether :(

🆕 2023-2024 Gastroenterology Fellowship Apps 🆕

2022-2023 Gastroenterology Fellowship Apps

2020-2021 GI Fellowship Interview Responses

Official 2022-2023 Gastroenterology Fellowship Application Cycle

Official 2021-2022 Gastroenterology Fellowship Application Cycle

Official 2020-2021 GI Fellowship Application Cycle

Hoping for the best for everyone this match season! 🙏🏾🙏🏾🙏🏾🙏🏾🙏🏾🙏🏾

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
"Come Mr. Sticky Man, Sticky This Thread"

Is that how this works?

Reactions: 1 user
"Come Mr. Sticky Man, Sticky This Thread"

Is that how this works?

Hasn’t caught on yet I guess. Seems like SDN activity slowed down or maybe not many people follow it to Fellowship.

Members don't see this ad :)
You might be onto something. Last year's thread only had 200+ replies and the year before it was >550. Hopefully this year will pick up steam.

Is there a spreadsheet for this application cycle?

Can anyone please share a list of non-acgme accredited GI fellowships programs?

Hi everyone, wanted to see how broadly should I apply?
IMG, not needing visa (green card/citizen), mid tier academic program, 2 year hospitalist+admin, 5 acg posters, 1 ddw, 2 aasld, and 3 regional. Total 15 publications, mix of gi and non gi, have few submitted GI related (at least 5, don’t know if they will be published before July5th). Scores 25/26/24. Letters are PD, 2 GI faculty from prior residency, 1 current employer/boss.
How broadly should I apply and should I target academic programs at all? Or stick to community?
Did you apply before?

thoughts on listing geographic preference vs.not?

thoughts on listing geographic preference vs.not?
I think the programs will get a notification that they are within your geographic preference. In my mind, if a program knows they are not within your geographic preference, why would they even bother to offer you an interview?

Lets Go Reaction GIF by Mason Ramsey

Created new google doc. Previous year's information available for easy access.

2023-2024 Gastroenterology Fellowship Apps

Guys, does anyone know when Gastroenterology will publish the DDW 2023 abstracts in their supplements? Thank you

Guys, does anyone know when Gastroenterology will publish the DDW 2023 abstracts in their supplements? Thank you

I know what you are thinking. No they don’t count as additional publications in a journal.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Are invites out yet? Not hearing anything so far 🥲

Last edited:
St. Louis
Will it be virtual or in person this year? Any idea?
St. Louis Uni will conduct it in person. According to the spreadsheet, Mayo Florida will also conduct the IVs in person.

Any thoughts on when the bulk of interviews get sent out for applicants ?
It's highly variable. What I've gathered is that some of the higher tier programs I applied to have given me heads up that there application review process might not even be done until mid-august and to expect news around Aug. 15.

2 Questions for you all. Is it frowned upon if you take a year or two to work as a hospitalist before applying to GI? Also, do people really have 30+ research projects like in the google doc?

2 Questions for you all. Is it frowned upon if you take a year or two to work as a hospitalist before applying to GI? Also, do people really have 30+ research projects like in the google doc?

Like anything, it depends. Are you just working in a community hospital going about, enjoying life? Or are you working in an academic hospital furthering your network/interest/CV/research so that you will also have a stronger application come application time? The former will hurt you, the later will be neutral to possibly help you depending k. The strength of your application currently. Would recommend only doing 1 yr, not 2. Also recognize a risk that you may go hospitalist and decide to not come back or work with the same vigor after a taste of the sweet attending life (as compared to residency.)

Re: research, I’d say there are a lot of things people call research, and some people were research fellows before this and a lot of IMGs go crazy with research to try and make up for the fact that they are IMG. I’d say that there is diminishing returns after 10+ projects.

Best of luck.

No it's no frowned upon, but programs will want to know why you did that and why you needed to extra time. Some of the faculty at my program will probe more and ask why you didn't do more research in medicine residency.

Yes, there area a ton of people who have a ridiculous amount of research output, many of these ppl churn out anything and everything, many of them exploit databases like NIS, many of them learn SAS/STATA and do some sort of variation of "xyy, a systematic review and metaanalysis". It is apparent who did this and who just did normal, reasonable research, that was well thought out.

What a rollercoaster of emotions. I went from being a non-trad applicant for med school to matching into GI. Life is incredible.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys, know this thread is for last application cycle but thought I'd post to see what you guys thought on my app. Currently a PGY2, trying to see how I can improve my app.
  • USDO
  • Solid community IM program with in-house GI fellowship
  • Research
    • Publications - 6 total
      • 2 first author (case reports)
      • 3 non-first author case reports
      • 1 meta-analysis 3rd author
    • Presentations - 33 total abstracts
      • ACG - 22 total abstracts (1 oral presentation)
      • DDW - 4 total abstracts (1 first author meta analysis)
      • 15 non-case reports (mix of meta-analysis, retrospective studies, and QI projects)
      • 14 first author
    • Ongoing/upcoming projects
      • 2 retrospective studies that I am leading, hopefully will be able to publish something from them (1st author if published)
      • 2 retrospective original papers that will be submitting soon, hoping for publication in big journal (will be 1st author)
      • Planning to submit many of the presentation/posters as papers
      • 6 abstracts submitted to DDW 2024 (3 first author, retrospective studies and meta-analysis)
  • Multiple ACG awards for presentations
  • ACG leadership position
  • Scores
    • Step 1 230s, Step 2 250s, did not take step 3 but took comlex level 3
  • LORs - have not gotten them yet but planning to get one from well-known research PI/attending who I worked closely with, other GI faculty, and PD
Would appreciate any feedback you all have on how to improve my chances! I know it's harder to match as a DO so want to maximize my chances

Hey guys, know this thread is for last application cycle but thought I'd post to see what you guys thought on my app. Currently a PGY2, trying to see how I can improve my app.
  • USDO
  • Solid community IM program with in-house GI fellowship
  • Research
    • Publications - 6 total
      • 2 first author (case reports)
      • 3 non-first author case reports
      • 1 meta-analysis 3rd author
    • Presentations - 33 total abstracts
      • ACG - 22 total abstracts (1 oral presentation)
      • DDW - 4 total abstracts (1 first author meta analysis)
      • 15 non-case reports (mix of meta-analysis, retrospective studies, and QI projects)
      • 14 first author
    • Ongoing/upcoming projects
      • 2 retrospective studies that I am leading, hopefully will be able to publish something from them (1st author if published)
      • 2 retrospective original papers that will be submitting soon, hoping for publication in big journal (will be 1st author)
      • Planning to submit many of the presentation/posters as papers
      • 6 abstracts submitted to DDW 2024 (3 first author, retrospective studies and meta-analysis)
  • Multiple ACG awards for presentations
  • ACG leadership position
  • Scores
    • Step 1 230s, Step 2 250s, did not take step 3 but took comlex level 3
  • LORs - have not gotten them yet but planning to get one from well-known research PI/attending who I worked closely with, other GI faculty, and PD
Would appreciate any feedback you all have on how to improve my chances! I know it's harder to match as a DO so want to maximize my chances
congrats on getting all this done as a pgy2! your cv is solid, only thing is apply broadly and make as much contacts as you can! from personal experience contacts matter so much, in so many cases they are the only thing matter! its so variable, looks like you are pretty much well on tract with regards to research, so if you want to up your game then I'd say make contacts and utilize them when the time comes. your contacts can definitely get you an invite, and rest would be upto you how you utilize that invite.