Advice for someone with little time and much to do:) Please?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Somedaydoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I'd really appreciate any help,

I have to take Step 1 in 4 weeks and am getting a 159 on my NBME right now. I'd like to do well. Please ya'll let me know what is the most efficient way to improve my score in that time. Details, folks details:) Thanks so much.

Members don't see this ad.

Just to add, I have done a TON of searches on SDN and have read the different things people use: UWorld, Goljan, FA and a ton of review books. But I am not sure what combination (and general schedule)would be the best to use to make a jump in my score in just 4 weeks. Just to let ya'll know that with more time I would do what others on SDN have done and not bother you guys with another "what should I do to prepare" thread:) So please be kind. (also, any opinions on good path flashcards? Anyone? Bueller?)

Thanks FutureInternist but I have already looked at this and I just don't think that I'd be able to get through all of those books. Any shorter methods for efficiently getting some hy points? How did you study?

Members don't see this ad :)
Your main focus should be on catching up on your weakest areas and spending the vast majority of the time on the biggest chunk of the exam. So, go hard on the 3 P's and start off with your weakest areas (as defined by the NBME exams you will take every week). This also means that when time is short, you need to sideline the low yield areas such as anatomy, histology and embryo (but still cover then in first aid).

Thanks McGillGrad! Any advice on q-banks and how to do them? I've heard that UW is the best one, but I've also heard that the actual questions had much longer stems and were not as straight-forward.

If you don't mind: which q-banks (or other question sources) did you use, and how: random, timed or by organ system, tutor or another combo? Any advice would make me one v.v. happy girl! Thanks again

Thanks McGillGrad! Any advice on q-banks and how to do them? I've heard that UW is the best one, but I've also heard that the actual questions had much longer stems and were not as straight-forward.

If you don't mind: which q-banks (or other question sources) did you use, and how: random, timed or by organ system, tutor or another combo? Any advice would make me one v.v. happy girl! Thanks again
UW is generally considered to have tougher questions than the real thing. The stems arent that different and I finished each section at about the same time in practice and on the real thing.

I did a systems based approach for 6 weeks. I used First Aid as my homebase and used Goljan for more detailed path stuff and BRS physiology for some physio. I wrote extra details into my FirstAid so when I was going over the material a 2nd and 3rd time, I only had to refer to FA and nothing else.

I did Subject+organ specific questions in Uworld right after i read a section and wrote things into FA that I didnt know/never read etc. I did this for about 4 weeks. Last 2 weeks I went over everything I'd written (all in First Aid) and did time/allsubjects/unused tests on Kaplan (which my gf had subscribed to but never used.)